Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Question to local members

Hey, Avocado. I'm glad you find our perspectives interesting, it can be quite the eye-opener how people from other cultures see your country.

Actually, I messed up this thread title. What I meant to ask was "Question for local Argentine members" because I wanted to know why you and the other Argentines post here, but the way it's been interpreted, we get to read lots of replies and such good ones.

I don't know about that, to be quite honest. The expat perspective comes from a very different place, life experience, and politics.

That's right. 😊
Thank you for asking. As local I like to participate to give my input too. Since Argentina is all you adopted country sometimes it helps to get perspective from local too. I don't think there are so many locals on this forum. Maybe only 7 or 8. But it good to read everyone post.

Hey, Avocado. I'm glad you find our perspectives interesting, it can be quite the eye-opener how people from other cultures see your country.

Actually, I messed up this thread title. What I meant to ask was "Question for local Argentine members" because I wanted to know why you and the other Argentines post here, but the way it's been interpreted, we get to read lots of replies and such good ones.

I don't know about that, to be quite honest. The expat perspective comes from a very different place, life experience, and politics.

That's right. 😊
That why I also join. We had new election and I joined shortly after that. I have some friend from other countries. I always amazed how many foreigners are here in Buenos Aires. All the time I go out I meet more people that are expats. Some left but my friend also have expat friends. It is good to see how you all think.

This forum help open my mind sometimes to how I think about things. My country very broken. Sometimes we don't know how abnormal this is because we grow all our life with it. I don't have much time now but I read forum some days. All the people seem nice except for one people that call everyone bad names and communist.

I've been living in BA a long time since 2006. I mostly lurk but appreciate all of you that post and share your knowledge. I joined the forum to get my daily news about Buenos Aires as there seems to have information almost every day.

Not sure I understand. What made you think that you'd learn more about President Milei here?
Because I saw at time many people posting political posts. It seem people either love Milei or hate him. That how it is in USA too with your Presidential candidates. All the time people post things about Milei here.

Is he looking for a job in the same industry?
He was going to transfer to Buenos Aires. He lived here many years ago while working for the same company. But his company is looking to possibly exit operations out of Argentina so we thought best not to disrupt our lives as we have 2 children. I visited and had a good visit but I'm not sure I would want to live there long term. It would be ok for 1-2 years.

I've lived here for over 16 years and just recently joined Expats after being given the nod about it from my fellow Glaswegian. 👍
I used to be a contributor to that other forum but got fed up reading the rantings from certain Argentine born members trying to force their blinkered political opinions on everyone else. I don't understand why an Expat forum allows such people to take part to be honest.

I am here in Malaga, Spain. From the UK originally but met and fell in love with a Porteña and moved to BA but she wants to move to Spain now that most of her friends have left. Soon, all her family is moving out of Argentina and moving to Spain. They are finally throwing in the towel.
Wishing you all the best of luck. I know Andalucía well. Fell in love with Ronda, Mijas, Ubrique, though all the pueblos blancos in Málaga and Cádiz are gorgeous. Nerja also, such a lovely place. An old friend from El Limonar, Málaga, tells me things are not looking good for Spain now, I hope this is just temporary.

I am here in Malaga, Spain. From the UK originally but met and fell in love with a Porteña and moved to BA but she wants to move to Spain now that most of her friends have left. Soon, all her family is moving out of Argentina and moving to Spain. They are finally throwing in the towel.
I went to the 1982 World Cup to see Scotland In Malaga for two weeks and stayed for three years!

Went back again in 1992 for 17 years , my last place of residence in Europe before coming to Argentne

Wishing you all the best of luck. I know Andalucía well. Fell in love with Ronda, Mijas, Ubrique, though all the pueblos blancos in Málaga and Cádiz are gorgeous. Nerja also, such a lovely place. An old friend from El Limonar, Málaga, tells me things are not looking good for Spain now, I hope this is just temporary.
Spain is no walk in the park but I guess compared to Argentina things are very good there. Several of our friends have moved to various parts of Spain.

Indeed. Just being part of Europe and having the Euro is a big plus compared to here. My wife has friends from here who moved to Spain years ago and they love it.
Exactly correct. There are so many opportunities for Argentines in Spain. All our friends that moved there from Argentina had EU passports so they easily found jobs and it is stable there. I don't believe any of them make significant amounts of money but they some sort of normalcy so they are very happy. The economy never has been too great in Spain but it sure beats 200%+ annual inflation!

These days nowhere is a walk in the park, unfortunately. Even the best places in the world are experiencing serious issues.
BTW, If you speak Spanish, look up Marc Vidal.
Agreed. I acknowledge Argentina has a world of problems and issues. But cost of living here even with the inflation is reasonable, especially if you own your own property. Truth of the matter is that I couldn't afford to live in the States now at the same quality of life that I have in BA. I dine out to eat several times per week, we have a maid that comes several times a week. Have good healthcare. I don't need a car here. Expenses are fairly low. I don't know of any major city in the US that I could have a similar quality of life.

Agreed. I acknowledge Argentina has a world of problems and issues. But cost of living here even with the inflation is reasonable, especially if you own your own property. Truth of the matter is that I couldn't afford to live in the States now at the same quality of life that I have in BA. I dine out to eat several times per week, we have a maid that comes several times a week. Have good healthcare. I don't need a car here. Expenses are fairly low. I don't know of any major city in the US that I could have a similar quality of life.
Agree with you completely on this. Besides most of the restaurants in the USA are horrible. Each time I come to BA I marvel at how great the food is compared to the USA.

I joined up at the end of November. I enjoy reading the plethora of information on various topics. I don't have time to participate as much but enjoy being a lurker and appreciate all the posts and information here.

Back