Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Questions about layover

Thunder

I'll have a 7-hour layover in Buenos Aires while flying in from El Calafate and awaiting my flight to the US. I have a few questions:

1. Is that duration sufficient to leave the airport and explore Buenos Aires a bit?
  2. If so, what should I do with my large suitcase during that time?
  3. Is Uber a dependable option in Buenos Aires?
Thank you so much for your assistance! :)

Regarding your inquiries:

1. If your initial flight is punctual, the connection is feasible but may be hurried. However, domestic flights are frequently delayed.
  2. I would attempt to complete the check-in process before heading to the city. If this isn't an option, you can only locate a left-luggage office, but I am uncertain of its existence and location.
  3. I refrain from using Uber in Argentina. Instead, we consistently opt for Taxi Ezeiza, which is highly dependable. They operate from a counter in the arrival hall.

Which airport are you referring to? What specific day and time are you considering? Keep in mind that, due to traffic, travel to/from EZE can be time-consuming. It's advisable to allocate at least one hour each way.

On the other hand, AEP is conveniently located in the city, making exploration easily accessible.

I concur with the first post: choose a taxi over Uber. If your flights to and from AEP are punctual, you might have the opportunity for a brief visit to a nearby site of your preference. Right outside the doors of AEP, there's a picturesque waterfront where you can take a leisurely stroll—it may not be a beach or boardwalk, but it offers a pleasant proximity to the water view.

Traveling from AEP poses no issues. You can easily head to Palermo or even Recoleta for a leisurely walk and lunch.

While Uber functions well and is dependable, drivers often prefer cash.

@Thunder I'm just worried that your 'flight to the US' might be departing from EZE instead of AEP.

I remember reading that a few international flights were being managed at AEP (American/Aerolinas, perhaps), which is a more convenient location in many aspects. Just make sure to double (or triple) check that this applies to YOUR flight to the US.

@chill , I genuinely appreciate your encouragement to verify the airport. (I had an incident years ago when I confused airports in Milan, Italy, so I value the advice.) I just confirmed again, and my flight to the U.S. is indeed from AEP. I'm flying with Delta. I remember that when I was booking, most other U.S. airlines operated through EZE. However, I am grateful for the reminder to double-check!

There are no direct flights from AEP to the U.S. Delta (DL) operates only from EZE.

If your flight is from AEP, it should be with LATAM (owned by DL) with a connection in Lima, Santiago, or Sao Paulo.

Alewal, my flight was arranged through Delta, including layovers in the locations you specified. U.S. airlines often collaborate with partner airlines for segments of the journey, but both my flights to and from the U.S. were specifically booked with Delta. AEP serves as my arrival and departure airport for my travels to and from Argentina.

If your departure and arrival airport is indeed AEP, you can be certain that you are not flying with Delta. It is likely that your carrier is Latam, which happens to be one of Delta's partner airlines.

AEP, being a relatively small airport primarily catering to domestic travel, has a runway that is not sufficient for the largest long-haul aircraft. To emphasize this, do not anticipate encountering a Delta check-in counter or a Delta plane at the airport.

@mom As mentioned in my previous comment, I understand that Delta and other U.S. airlines frequently collaborate with affiliated airlines for certain segments of the journey. With experience traveling to 17 countries, I am well-acquainted with the common practice of utilizing partner airlines.

If your departure and arrival airport is indeed AEP, you can be certain that you are not flying with Delta. It is likely that your carrier is Latam, which happens to be one of Delta's partner airlines.

AEP, being a relatively small airport primarily catering to domestic travel, has a runway that is not sufficient for the largest long-haul aircraft. To emphasize this, do not anticipate encountering a Delta check-in counter or a Delta plane at the airport.
Just for clarification the runway at AEP was extended last year and can now take A330s.

But it has still to ve certified by the US authorities.

Aerolineas Argentinas is ready to go with flights to JFK and MIA but has to wait for the US certification.

Just for clarification the runway at AEP was extended last year and can now take A330s.

But it has still to ve certified by the US authorities.

Aerolineas Argentinas is ready to go with flights to JFK and MIA but has to wait for the US certification.
Oh wow! I didn't know this. So soon AEP will have international flights from the USA? This would be awesome! I hate going out to EZE. But I wonder how the lines will be there. EZE has gotten kind of crazy. You should go with plenty of time. The last time I left my apartment 3.5 hours before and I barely made it. Lines were massive!

Oh wow! I didn't know this. So soon AEP will have international flights from the USA? This would be awesome! I hate going out to EZE. But I wonder how the lines will be there. EZE has gotten kind of crazy. You should go with plenty of time. The last time I left my apartment 3.5 hours before and I barely made it. Lines were massive!
They should have started about now but there seems to be problem with the certification.

Aerolineas Argentinas had them in their program but they had to drop them.

Back