Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Questions related to the practical aspects of cash in BA

Walter W

There has been a wealth of information in this forum regarding topics like exchange rates and where to exchange money. However, there are a few questions that I haven't seen addressed, which would be useful to know in preparation for a visit to Buenos Aires.

1. How many dollars per day should I expect to bring? I understand that this can vary widely, but I'm looking for a rough estimate. Assuming hotels are already paid for with a credit card, as are most restaurant meals (we're talking about dinners that might cost $100 to $150 in U.S. cities), is it reasonable to assume that most such dinners can be paid for with a credit card? This leaves expenses like taxis and Ubers, small items at snack bars, grocery stores, and bars, public transit, admission for entertainment and other tourist attractions, souvenirs, tips, and incidentals. Am I forgetting anything?
  2. Where to store cash not immediately needed? Assuming there's a room safe at the hotel, is that the best way to go?
  3. How to carry the cash we're using that day? Wallet? Under-shirt pouch? Money belt? What do the locals do?
Additionally, does the above information generally apply to other parts of Argentina apart from Buenos Aires? Currently, our plans include Salta and Ushuaia. In these areas, we'll likely be renting a car (paid for with a credit card), which raises other questions about gas: Do gas stations typically accept credit cards, or do they require cash? And what is the typical cost (in dollars) to fill a gas tank in Argentina?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

1. It's challenging to pinpoint an exact daily expense range, but if you anticipate significant card expenses, budgeting $20-30 for miscellaneous items daily might be a reasonable estimate. However, the actual amount depends on your daily activities, as Buenos Aires doesn't have numerous attractions with entry fees. If you plan on visiting such places, check the prices beforehand.
  2. For safeguarding valuables like passports, using the hotel safe is a prudent choice.
  3. Unlike some destinations, locals in Buenos Aires typically don't use money pouches. Many people simply place their stack of notes in their back pocket. However, given the abundance of notes, some may opt to keep smaller denominations in a separate pocket for tips or charitable contributions, especially if they want to avoid revealing larger sums. Women commonly place money in their handbags, following standard practices in most countries.
As of now, the cost of gas is 800 pesos per liter. Use this information to estimate the cost of filling up your rental car. Keep in mind that this figure might change rapidly, so if your trip is in the future, it's essential to stay updated. While gas stations in Buenos Aires accept cards, it's advisable to carry enough cash as a backup. Recently, there have been instances where foreign cards faced issues due to the need for an ID number, so having cash on hand is a practical precaution.
Argentina remains predominantly reliant on cash transactions. A useful tip is to bring more USD than you expect to spend and exchange smaller amounts, around $50, into pesos as needed during your journey.

Welcome! It's been two years since my last trip, also I traveled alone. Here are some tips based on my experience:

Research and Budgeting:Utilize online resources like Google Maps to find restaurants near your lodging. Check online menus to estimate food costs.Look for prices of common items like coffee or empanadas.
Consider miscellaneous expenses: taxis, Ubers, snacks, groceries, public transit, entertainment, souvenirs, tips, and incidentals. Pad your budget for unexpected expenses.
Security Measures:
Bring envelopes to store important documents and items. Your lodging may provide some.Consider placing valuables in inconspicuous places, like inside books or envelopes.
Personalize your approach based on comfort; some prefer carrying everything in a wallet, while others use hidden pouches.
Financial Planning: Carry what you'll use in your wallet, with a backup and a few bucks in a secure pouch.Feel free to adapt your approach based on personal comfort and preferences.Establish a consistent approach for all your travels, maintaining a standard operating procedure (SOP) to make it second nature.Remember, these tips aren't just for Buenos Aires but for any destination.

Keep it simple, and good luck with your travel preparations!

It's summer here, and my clothing choice primarily revolves around hiking shorts for their comfort. However, I've faced a challenge with the limited and uncomfortable pockets of my hiking shorts and linen pants. To address this, I opted for a leather bag that I wear crossbody. This bag not only accommodates my valuables but also proves to be quite versatile. I can easily sling it behind me while walking or place it in the front in crowded spaces. This bag allows me to carry essentials like water, glasses, and anything else my wife deems necessary.
Currently, we are staying in an apartment in Palermo. When exploring different parts of the city, we usually carry around ARS 20,000 in cash to take advantage of occasional cash-only deals. However, if we decide to forgo these opportunities, we typically carry only ARS 10,000. This amount comfortably covers 10% tips at restaurants and other incidental expenses. Although we haven't used taxis, we have heavily relied on public transportation, for which a Sube card is essential.

Certainly, Walter's question covers a lot of ground for your upcoming cruise in South America and Antarctica. Considering the potential challenges with carrying a significant amount of cash, especially with the concerns about ATM reliability and long lines in Buenos Aires, using your HSBC Global debit card to withdraw Pesos might be a practical solution.
While HSBC may have mixed reviews in the area, it's worth checking if there are other ATMs available that accept your card. Additionally, you can inquire with HSBC about the availability of ATMs and their reliability in the specific neighborhoods you'll be visiting in Buenos Aires and Santiago. This way, you can plan your withdrawals strategically and potentially avoid long lines or broken ATMs.
Keep in mind that having a mix of payment methods, including some cash and your debit card, can provide flexibility and security. It's also advisable to inform your bank about your travel plans to ensure seamless card usage during your trip.
If anyone in the community has local knowledge or recent experiences with ATMs and currency exchange in Buenos Aires and Santiago, their insights would be valuable for your preparations. Safe travels! 👍

Much just depends on where you go to eat. There are some places that are as expensive as the USA but it depends if you're eating out like that every day. Places like Osaka you can drop a $150 USD for each person if you're eating and drinking a lot. I've never walked out of Osaka spending less than $100 USD per person. Most meals are very affordable in BA. I'm in NYC now and most meals are insane.

Much just depends on where you go to eat. There are some places that are as expensive as the USA but it depends if you're eating out like that every day. Places like Osaka you can drop a $150 USD for each person if you're eating and drinking a lot. I've never walked out of Osaka spending less than $100 USD per person. Most meals are very affordable in BA. I'm in NYC now and most meals are insane.
It very easy to use credit card in most of the places. Most restaurants take credit card. My mother and family use our credit card from Spain and rate very good now. I was traveling in Spain the past few weeks but I come back soon. My mother say the rate over 1,000 pesos for the $1 US. This only work for foreigner credit card. Some posts are on this forum.

You can go many meals and not pay so much. We eat out many meals and not pay so much in USD prices. We always use credit card now from Spain. My mother have bank account in Spain for pay the bill. You don't need to bring so much cash these days to Argentina. Credit card work very good.

Certainly, Walter's question covers a lot of ground for your upcoming cruise in South America and Antarctica. Considering the potential challenges with carrying a significant amount of cash, especially with the concerns about ATM reliability and long lines in Buenos Aires, using your HSBC Global debit card to withdraw Pesos might be a practical solution.
While HSBC may have mixed reviews in the area, it's worth checking if there are other ATMs available that accept your card. Additionally, you can inquire with HSBC about the availability of ATMs and their reliability in the specific neighborhoods you'll be visiting in Buenos Aires and Santiago. This way, you can plan your withdrawals strategically and potentially avoid long lines or broken ATMs.
Keep in mind that having a mix of payment methods, including some cash and your debit card, can provide flexibility and security. It's also advisable to inform your bank about your travel plans to ensure seamless card usage during your trip.
If anyone in the community has local knowledge or recent experiences with ATMs and currency exchange in Buenos Aires and Santiago, their insights would be valuable for your preparations. Safe travels! 👍
The reason tourists avoid using ATMs is due to their high cost. I believe you would receive the official exchange rate (although I'm not certain, as I don't have a foreign card), and the bank imposes substantial fees on top of that. There are also low limits for each withdrawal, requiring a series of transactions—with fees for each one—to obtain a reasonable amount of cash. If it's worth the extra expense to you to avoid carrying a stack of bills, then use the ATMs and don't worry too much about issues like broken machines, which are not a significant concern.

Expanding on BryanM's suggestion regarding shorts, opting for shorts equipped with zip or button pockets can provide added security. I personally own both types and find them to be my preferred choice when navigating the streets of Buenos Aires, especially when carrying cash.
As for your concern, @alexis h , the exchange rate for UK-issued Visa and Mastercard is currently favorable (approximately 1300 pesos/£ today). Given this, relying on your card for transactions at hotels, restaurants, supermarkets, and most establishments is convenient, minimizing the need for cash. It's likely that your cruise expenses are pre-paid and strictly in USD, further reducing the necessity for cash during that portion of your journey.
For incidental expenses like tips, snacks, and taxis, which are generally inexpensive in Buenos Aires, having around USD50 per day in cash should suffice. This amount is manageable and shouldn't pose any significant challenges during your travels.

dollars per day should I expect to bring?
i flew here on Thanksgiving, forgot the Chase bank in Florida would be closed, so i came here with $60 USD and i've been fine. i haven't used WesternUnion or a cueva once in 6.5 weeks.
cash not immediately needed?
you're preparing for this trip, so you won't fall-into the small percentage of clueless first-time travelers that get pickpocketed. you'll be fine; BsAs is safe. just take the precautions you'd take in any big city around the world. even Amsterdam had shady people (and some small groups of men speaking Arabic walking around, which was strange when i was only expecting to hear Dutch). just bring the spending money for the specific event if you need cash, and use your credit card (one without Foreign Transaction fees, 'course) on everything else. and yeah if you have a non-shady hotel room or Airbnb, just hide your cash inside your locked room. i really only use cash to tip, and that's like a 1000 Peso bill per meal most of the time. CC rates posted here daily www.x.com/ArgentinaMEP

most such dinners can be paid for with a credit card?
i used to try to take Pesos out of ATMs the first couple weeks, and was trying to see everything, but now that i'm more established...i just walk out of places if i enter and there's a "No Credito" sign, or if i ask the grocer/employee/owner if i can use a Credit Card. i give my business to the 70% of businesses that allow credit cards (many of the MercadoPago readers can accept credit cards, just ask). i just don't find the random 10% cash/efectivo discounts to be worth the hassle of carrying so many huge wads of cash (the largest bill is a $1 USD bill right now)

Carrefour Market and Jumbo supermercados take Visa/MasterCard, and i choose my restaurants based on if they take card and don't charge me a cubierto bullshit fee.
carry the cash we're using that day?
normal wallet, in a zipped pocket, but i'm overprotective. i really don't see people taking precautions. if you're by the Obelisk, you'll see people with their backpacks/purses flipped to the front. but i see people walking around with smartphones all day everywhere. just be more aware than 90% of the people around you and you'll be good

Gasoline stuff, you're on your own, but i saw www.x.com/BowTiedMara was posting about increased fuel costs last week. how much did you pay for your car, approximate?? @Walter W when i went to look, everything was $65 USD/day or $3,000 USD per month...i said, 'guess i don't need to leave CABA!' ahahaha
800 pesos per liter
so, $2.98 USD or about 3 bucks per gallon of gas, according to credit card rate of 1017 ARS/Dollar and Teddy's info. gasoline in FL according to Google is $3.02-3.30 around Tampa, so about the same i suppose?
foreign cards faced issues due to the need for an ID number
they might want to see your physical passport. i don't bring mine, so if the shop won't use a photocopy or a cellphone photo of my passport, they lose my business. 90% of shops that accept card won't even ask you for "documento" - if they insist on a "DNI" number, i give them the first 8 digits of my 9-digit passport number
it's been almost 30 years since I last visited South America.
awesome!!! update us here when you're done with each segment! gonna have a blast, and yes it's still cheap here. holler if you need specific info in CABA.

While HSBC may have mixed reviews in the area
are you a bot? no one mentioned HSBC. how do you know he has that bank? i used my Schwab and USAA ATM cards at all the main companies. BancoNacion, Galicia, Santander, etc. without issues. this is a weird post, Alexis. walter has likely been traveling longer than you or i have been alive, so the ChatGPT-like response isn't going to help him much. he knows how to google.

-----------------

@Walter W have fun, and check out 5.11 pants/shorts if you don't mind the 'tactical' look. i only wear 5.11 because they're so comfy, zippered pockets, and last forever (had to wear them for work for years, and now i buy all the colors and still enjoy them). price-wise today:

my 6-hour hangout at a cafe/restaurant/bakery here in Palermo Chico cost 25,750 Pesos for 2 people to have in total: 4 nice coffees, 1 big bagel with prosciutto and brie, 2 medium-sized nice fruit smoothies, and a medium-sized parfait with nice yogurt, good granola, and mixed fresh fruit. added in 3000 Pesos cash tip, and we're looking at just over $28 USD for all that, no cubierto charge, and air-conditioned inside restaurant that was dog-friendly. i would have paid at least $45 USD for all of that in a regular coffee shop in Florida, plus the basically-mandatory 20% tip. this place in Palermo Chico was fabulous and much more chic than i usually patronize. and the staff were great and food was above what i expected. this was my 4th time coming back.

butcher shop buying meat for myself and my dog: 15,825 Pesos at "Res" chain for 3.29kg of Espinazo meat (1,990 Pesos/kg), 1.5kg beef heart (1,700 Pesos/kg), 0.71kg Liver (1,400 Pesos/kg), and 0.61kg of "Chorizo" grilling meat for humans (9,500 Pesos/kg), or about $18.50 USD for that huge bag of fresh meat

Back