Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Receipts to consumers to now include ALL taxes included for more transparency

Finance Prof

Argentina has so many taxes it's insane. Now with the approval of the Bases Law in the Senate, the project "consumer tax transparency regime" advances, which proposes to include in tickets, invoices and vouchers issued throughout the country the breakdown of the taxes paid by the consumer, Hopefully people will be shocked how many taxes there are which causes everything to be so expensive.

In May, deputies of the radical bloc presented a project to discriminate against VAT, which the Government considers an initial step, but insufficient, since it represents only about a third of the tax burden. "84% of Argentines do not know that the largest expense we incur is taxes. There is no country that applies up to five taxes in the final amount, with an incidence of up to 50%," argued Vila, a lawyer and accountant who was inspired by the model applied by Brazil, through law 12,741, since 2012.

That sounds like the goal but how will they make up the difference? The recession here seems really painful. It doesn't sound like things will drastically improve this year. I wonder about this. IIRC, there were even some talk of raising some of the taxes.
Hopefully there is significant tax revenue with big international companies that bring funds here. The crop harvest this year hopefully will be great also bringing in a lot of tax revenue.

Take into consideration that most of the taxes collected in this country were stolen, as we are now learning through various investigations. If the government stops stealing and, as Betsy mentioned, there is a good crop harvest along with tax revenue from international investments in both public and private sectors, the country should function well even with a significantly reduced tax liability on individuals.

However, until just a couple of days ago, the government was unable to implement the necessary measures to jumpstart the economy. Now, they can finally put their plan into practice, so let's see what happens. I believe we will see improvement before the end of this year. There's a good chance that December '24 will be a dream compared to the disastrous December '23. Hopefully, December '25 will be even better.

Yes, but temporary, I believe.
Just ending the various stealing schemes is drastically helping. I'm told there are many other scams they have found or investigating. Now sure how many billions a year are through corruption but hopefully that is coming to an end. They are also investigating disability fraud which is costing billions.

Hopefully the passing of the Omnibus will dramatically help things but if there is one thing I learned living here so long is nothing works too quickly here.

Let's hope for things to start getting improved quickly but the recession should be painful all of this year. Some of these big increases will be felt by companies and I don't think they can pass on the costs to consumers as they know they won't pay as they can't afford them.

That sounds like the goal but how will they make up the difference? The recession here seems really painful. It doesn't sound like things will drastically improve this year. I wonder about this. IIRC, there were even some talk of raising some of the taxes.
Yes taxes are going up even though Milei said he would reduce them. Once taxes go up it is difficult for them to come down. But we will wait and see.

Just ending the various stealing schemes is drastically helping. I'm told there are many other scams they have found or investigating. Now sure how many billions a year are through corruption but hopefully that is coming to an end. They are also investigating disability fraud which is costing billions.

Hopefully the passing of the Omnibus will dramatically help things but if there is one thing I learned living here so long is nothing works too quickly here.

Let's hope for things to start getting improved quickly but the recession should be painful all of this year. Some of these big increases will be felt by companies and I don't think they can pass on the costs to consumers as they know they won't pay as they can't afford them.
It is positive that they end corruption and stealing. This is something that I am happy about. Milei isn't doing everything wrong. I will give him credit where it is due.
Just that making poor and middle class have all the burden is a mistake. No one is arguing that utilities and transport must go up. Just too much too soon.

We all hope things improve.

Who knows how much was stolen each year with the various corruption schemes by many in government there. Just weeding out these things should help Argentina stay in a surplus vs. deficit. They probably haven't even scratched the surface on the amount of corruption and fraud happening at the local, state and federal levels. As @Vince mentioned, NOTHING here works quickly. No doubt this Omnibus will help speed things along but many things are totally broken in Argentina and horribly inefficient.

I do a lot of business here and not a day goes by where I don't get horribly frustrated by how things work here. To get systemic change it's going to be really tough and take time. Most of these big companies that President Milei is trying to attract here would be shocked if they truly understand how broken the systems and laws are here and how things are ass backwards. You can't fully appreciate how bad things are here unless you are doing business here day in and day out. This is going to take a long time to fix.

how will they make up the difference?
90% of the national government spending was probably just kickbacks to the corrupt elite, so ideally we hit AFUERA on that, and delete taxes for normal people altogether :D

as Ron Paul said when asked what to replace the US Federal Reserve with, he said 'when a surgeon/doctor removes cancer, what do you replace it with?'

it's impossible calculate how many massive businesses, and people like us, will move to Argentina and make it a powerhouse. so, we shall see! the problem is Milei's rhetoric about Netanyahu's genocide, and Zelenskyy's money-laundering fake war, when Argentina needs to stay neutral and trade with everyone (and war with no one)

90% of the national government spending was probably just kickbacks to the corrupt elite, so ideally we hit AFUERA on that, and delete taxes for normal people altogether :D

as Ron Paul said when asked what to replace the US Federal Reserve with, he said 'when a surgeon/doctor removes cancer, what do you replace it with?'

it's impossible calculate how many massive businesses, and people like us, will move to Argentina and make it a powerhouse. so, we shall see! the problem is Milei's rhetoric about Netanyahu's genocide, and Zelenskyy's money-laundering fake war, when Argentina needs to stay neutral and trade with everyone (and war with no one)

Yes the kickbacks seem to be so extreme there. It's difficult to fathom that people were so blatant there. But I guess they thought Peronists would always stay in power. But the scary thing is that just because Milei got elected doesn't mean it's over. If things don't work out, they could return and a new President could undo all of the progress that Milei and his team have accomplished. This is why I think big companies might be reluctant to come here.

It's no surprise that Argentina is among the countries with the highest tax burdens in the world. Milei promised to reduce taxes, but so far, the only one I've heard him mention is the "Impuesto País." We'll have to see if more substantial tax reforms are on the horizon or if it's just talk.

It's no surprise that Argentina is among the countries with the highest tax burdens in the world. Milei promised to reduce taxes, but so far, the only one I've heard him mention is the "Impuesto País." We'll have to see if more substantial tax reforms are on the horizon or if it's just talk.

@CecilM but the new President is talking about getting rid of many of these taxes. Yes?
To give you an idea how ridiculous the amount of taxes there are in Argentina. Look at this airline ticket!

View attachment 6885
That is CRAZY how many taxes there are. Never seen anything like that!

Back