Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Recommendations for a private Spanish instructor or tutor in Buenos Aires?

Jenn

I am scheduled to arrive to Buenos Aires in 2 weeks. I may delay the trip as I read there is currently a Dengue Fever outbreak now in Buenos Aires. But I need to see if I can change my Airbnb. I don't speak much Spanish at all. I just took 1 year in high school a long time ago. Can anyone recommend an affordable Spanish tutor or instructor that won't break the bank? How much are hourly lessons and do you have anyone you can recommend?

Thank you.

Good for you wanting to learn the language. Lessons should cost around $10 to $15 US dollars per hour. You will drastically improve your experience in Buenos Aires by learning Spanish.

My friends that visit me and stayed with me used Vamos Academy. They have private one on one tutors or group classes. Classes start at $12.50 USD per hour. No enrollment or course material fees.

Check out Spanish Inclusive World. I did not use them but a girl I met here was using them. They have over 50 5-star reviews.

I believe you can book an initial trial class free for your first one which seems great.

I am scheduled to arrive to Buenos Aires in 2 weeks. I may delay the trip as I read there is currently a Dengue Fever outbreak now in Buenos Aires. But I need to see if I can change my Airbnb. I don't speak much Spanish at all. I just took 1 year in high school a long time ago. Can anyone recommend an affordable Spanish tutor or instructor that won't break the bank? How much are hourly lessons and do you have anyone you can recommend?

Thank you.
Wonderful! I have mentioned this website before for personal trainers but IIRC they also have Spanish instructors. I have used them for personal trainers. You can see a photo of them, read their reviews and see their prices. Good luck!

You will find individual instructors are typically more affordable vs. the more structured programs. Just make sure to read the reviews. And do not get price gouged. I met an American that got conned into paying $25 USD per hour and was told that was a discounted rate and was told the normal rate was $50 USD per hour. I quickly showed them they were getting ripped off. You can't compare what things cost in the USA or Europe. All these links on this thread are good.

Superprof is a good website and keep in mind many of those instructors will give the first lesson free to see if you're a good fit as a client. (They are also seeing if it is worth their time so it cuts both ways). I know a girl that is a personal trainer on that website and she said one of her clients had horrible Body Odor and fired him.

Perhaps the BEST way to learn Spanish is finding a local boyfriend or girlfriend. That is the best way to learn. It is what I did and got a wife out of it as well!

You will find individual instructors are typically more affordable vs. the more structured programs. Just make sure to read the reviews. And do not get price gouged. I met an American that got conned into paying $25 USD per hour and was told that was a discounted rate and was told the normal rate was $50 USD per hour. I quickly showed them they were getting ripped off. You can't compare what things cost in the USA or Europe. All these links on this thread are good.

Superprof is a good website and keep in mind many of those instructors will give the first lesson free to see if you're a good fit as a client. (They are also seeing if it is worth their time so it cuts both ways). I know a girl that is a personal trainer on that website and she said one of her clients had horrible Body Odor and fired him.

Perhaps the BEST way to learn Spanish is finding a local boyfriend or girlfriend. That is the best way to learn. It is what I did and got a wife out of it as well!
Agree 100% on the best way to learn is to date someone from Argentina.

Just note Argentine Spanish is most likely different than the Spanish you learned in high school. Pronunciation is different here with some words. You will most likely prefer a one-on-one tutor in Buenos Aires but you can try some free weekly trials of this girl from Argentina.

Funny about the price gouge but some expats coming to Argentina are very ignorant. It is hard to imagine someone paying $25 to $50 bucks per HOUR thinking that is a great deal when the minimum wage is so low in Argentina per MONTH.

Totally correct the best way to improve your Spanish is dating someone in Argentina. That combined with lessons is very good for learning.

Start learning before you arrive.

To get you started

Uses a method called comprehensible input. Their website has levels broken down to super beginner, beginner, intermediate, advanced and you can even filter by country. Agustina from Argentina is awesome.

For learning pronunciation. Also https://flow.mimicmethod.com/ has some great resources.

For learning grammar
This is great. My friend learning Spanish also told me he uses this method and it really helped him.

Wow!!! Thank you everyone for great info and options! Those prices are very reasonable. I like that many give you a free first class to see if you click with them. That is a good idea. I will try them. Thanks so much.

Totally correct about dating a local. That is the best way to learn a language. You learn fast that way, especially if they don't speak English!

Thank you.
@Jenn did you end up finding a good tutor? If so can you let me know or PM me?

My wife and I are looking to improve our Spanish and would prefer to do it in a more informal setting, like at a café, no formal academies for us. We were only familiar with the basics, but we found a teacher who fits what we had in mind: learning in a relaxed environment. We’re really excited to advance our skills. I’ll share her contact information in case anyone else is interested.

Back