Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

AlexCaer

Hello,

I'm making the move from Los Angeles to Buenos Aires and seeking suggestions for a moving company. It's a relatively small move, involving just a one-bedroom apartment with no car or appliances.

Thank you.

Click on Nikad's signature beneath any of her posts for a link to a moving company she recommends. She's been a forum member since 2008.

P.S.: It's crucial to be aware that having at least temporary residency is a must before your belongings arrive to avoid import duties. If you only hold a "tourist visa," Argentine customs (Aduana) will impose substantial import fees. If you're still in the process of obtaining temporary residency, they'll charge storage fees until you secure it. There's a recent case where an expat faced escalating storage fees, exceeding the value of his belongings within a short span. Not using a customs broker and lack of information from his chosen moving company about the consequences of not having Argentine residency led to this unfortunate situation.

I've relocated internationally four times in the past, but it was always covered by the companies I worked for, and I was never aware of the associated costs. Just out of curiosity, has anyone here moved a modest household, including items like clothes, dishes, and a small amount of furniture (excluding a car)? If so, could you provide a ballpark figure for the overall cost? For instance, the cost of furnishing a 150-square-meter apartment, excluding sofas and heavy tables.

Don't worry, I'm not planning a move, so I won't be basing any life plans on your responses. I've just always wondered about the potential costs, especially in the context of moving from the USA or the EU to Argentina.

For a small 1 bedroom apartment I don't think it's worth the hassles and costs of moving stuff down there. Did you buy an apartment in Buenos Aires? If so, although quality isn't as good down there, I'd just start fresh and get it there. As others mentioned, customs can be a hassle and not cheap. Unless your company is paying all expenses, you're not in a hurry and you MUST have your own stuff, I'd just buy down there.

Back