Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

TonyMontana

Hello everyone,

I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my twin babies here in Buenos Aires, and I'm seeking advice on the following matter. I plan to arrange their DNIs, but I'm uncertain whether they also need an Argentine passport. As a British citizen, my initial thought was to obtain British passports for them to facilitate travel to the UK later on. Is it possible for them to hold both Argentine and British passports, or should I solely opt for British passports?

I'm married to an Argentine citizen and have a permanent DNI. However, I was informed that I couldn't obtain an Argentine passport, so I typically use my British passport and present my Argentine DNI when traveling.

If anyone has insights on this and can guide me on the process of obtaining DNIs for my babies next month, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

You are you and your children are your children.
If they are born here, they will not be able to depart the country on a foreign passport.
If you move away and come here for visits, that is an exception. But if you live here - they will need an Argentine passport to exit and reenter the country.

Re DNI and passport - I'm assuming that you're giving birth in a private institution, in the City of Buenos Aires.
Assuming that's the case, here's the deal:

The office where you register the birth depends on the hospital where you gave birth.

Go to http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/tramites/inscripcion-del-nacimiento and click "Iniciar trámite online".
Put in all the relevant info and they will give you the location where it gets done, and you pick a date and time for the turno.

You need to come in person, and present the following:
• Libreta de Matrimonio or marriage certificate
• Valid DNI for both parents
• Copies of both of the above.
Seriously, bring the copies. You have a better chance of concluding the process if you forget the originals but bring copies, than vice versa.
I kid you not: this happened to me.

You will have to declare in writing that both parents agree on the child's surname.

At the office, you will get the original birth certificate and fill out the paperwork for the DNI, which will come in the mail. If you miss it, you'll have to make a trip to Registro Civil to pick it up.

You can then apply at any passport office for a passport.

After that, you'll probably want a British passport as well. As I said, it will help for other countries, but not for Argentina - resident Argentines can only enter and exit the country on an Argentine passport.
Don't know how British passport works, Canadian embassy will not deal with you until the child has a DNI.

That is really helpful. Didn’t know that my children would have to have the Argentine passport so will make sure to get that. I guess I am worried that there will be an issue with having Argentine AND British passport. To make matters even more complicated I also have an Irish passport so am hoping to get them that too especially after Brexit!! I plan to call the embassies this week for more specific info on whether they are eligible. They should be- I was born in Northern Ireland and didn’t move to Argentina until a few years ago, so imagine that as a British citizen my children should be able to get British passports hopefully.
Thanks again for the info- I will report back once spoken to th embassies.

If you were married in Argentina, libreta de familia (with children's birth noted obviously) also works, so you don't need to carry the birth certificate.

If you anticipate that the children may need to travel with only one parent, you may also want to consider going to an escribano publico to arrange a Permiso/Autorización de Viaje, signed by both parents and allowing the child to travel with either parent (and/or alone).

If you were married in Argentina, libreta de familia (with children's birth noted obviously) also works, so you don't need to carry the birth certificate.

If you anticipate that the children may need to travel with only one parent, you may also want to consider going to an escribano publico to arrange a Permiso/Autorización de Viaje, signed by both parents and allowing the child to travel with either parent (and/or alone).
Yep. Ben is spot on target with all his information. Two of our kids were born in Buenos Aires and have passports. I always laugh when we leave Argentina as we have to carry so many items to show at the airport.

Back