Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Renting in Argentina

peanut

Hey everyone, quick question about renting in Argentina.

It seems like every option I come across requires six months of reported earnings and some kind of warranty. I’ve heard about the "seguro de caución," but that also wants six months of earnings documented in Argentina.

How have you managed to navigate this situation? Any tips or workarounds you could share?

Hey everyone, quick question about renting in Argentina.

It seems like every option I come across requires six months of reported earnings and some kind of warranty. I’ve heard about the "seguro de caución," but that also wants six months of earnings documented in Argentina.

How have you managed to navigate this situation? Any tips or workarounds you could share?
This is typically for locals. Expats and foreigners typically can't get this insurance policy that you're talking about. Usually on a long term rental you have to have a guarantor that will co-sign for you. Only way around it is if you buy an insurance policy and that company wants to see stable income INSIDE Argentina.

This is typically for locals. Expats and foreigners typically can't get this insurance policy that you're talking about. Usually on a long term rental you have to have a guarantor that will co-sign for you. Only way around it is if you buy an insurance policy and that company wants to see stable income INSIDE Argentina.
Correct. When I rented my apartment I had to just pay my entire lease upfront in cash. I checked about these kind of policies but you have to have a local job to get a policy like that. The owner was fine without it but I had to pay the entire contract upfront which I was ok with.

I think the best option is a temporary rental; you might find choices that don’t require the conditions mentioned. While there will still be fees and deposits, it’s possible you won’t need security guarantees.

It’s true that some places may ask for more money upfront, but on average, temporary rentals tend to be more expensive. One advantage is that they often include expenses in the total cost, making it easier to budget. While you may still encounter some that require guarantees, overall, it can be a better option.

Finding the right place can feel almost like a full-time job. I've noticed that some temporary rental groups on Facebook have more options than sites like Argenprop, Zonaprop, or Mercado Libre, so it’s definitely worth checking them out.

Oh, I see! I’ll need to look for a temporary rental then.
I think the best option is a temporary rental; you might find choices that don’t require the conditions mentioned. While there will still be fees and deposits, it’s possible you won’t need security guarantees.

It’s true that some places may ask for more money upfront, but on average, temporary rentals tend to be more expensive. One advantage is that they often include expenses in the total cost, making it easier to budget. While you may still encounter some that require guarantees, overall, it can be a better option.

Finding the right place can feel almost like a full-time job. I've noticed that some temporary rental groups on Facebook have more options than sites like Argenprop, Zonaprop, or Mercado Libre, so it’s definitely worth checking them out.
Could you share with me the Facebook groups you found useful?

Sure, here are some groups I found useful:

That's interesting! How did you come across these options? I've been living here for almost a year and have rented four different flats so far. I've never encountered a requirement for reported earnings. Typically, I just show a screenshot from my banking app showing my funds, and that suffices.

I’ve only encountered the "garantía propietaria" or "seguro de caución" a couple of times, usually for long-term rentals. When it comes to 3-6 month contracts, it’s more common to see just a one-month deposit instead.

It’s true that some places may ask for more money upfront, but on average, temporary rentals tend to be more expensive. One advantage is that they often include expenses in the total cost, making it easier to budget. While you may still encounter some that require guarantees, overall, it can be a better option
Just make sure you note this. My friends did a year contract with the owner and all the listings they checked the tenant pays for the monthly condo fees and all utilities. I think all the long term rentals will do that unless maybe you go through Airbnb where everything seems to be included. Better to double check as some people are reporting their condo fees going up 2x or 3x from last year. My friend's jumped up quite a bit.

Browse through Airbnb and find a property that suits your needs. Once you’ve found a place you’re interested in, reach out to the host directly. You can then try negotiating a private long-term rental deal with them, which could lead to more flexible terms or discounts outside of the platform’s standard offerings.

Back