Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink República del Fuego

Darksider415

My wife and I have a friend in town from Brazil, so we went to República del Fuego for dinner after church. Take my opinion for what it’s worth, but I’d say it was solidly competitive with Don Julio at much lower prices. Total for three, with three appetizers, three steaks, three sides and desserts came out to $84000 ($70 U.S. token) with card, or $75000 ($62.50 U.S. token) with the cash discount.

We got the ojo de bife, bife de chorizo and the entraña, but the star of the show was the bife de chorizo. It was magnificent and better than the last one I had at Don Julio or El Preferido, for significantly less.

10/10 experience, in my opinion. The only thing I’d change is that I wish it was a bit quieter inside. Definitely worthy of its place in the Michelin Guide, IMO. Or, to quote our friend, “Don’t cry for me Argentina, I’m going to eat all of your steak. Ojo de bife, ojo de bife… Ojo de bife, ojo de bife…”

Last edited:
My wife and I have a friend in town from Brazil, so we went to República del Fuego for dinner after church. Take my opinion for what it’s worth, but I’d say it was solidly competitive with Don Julio at much lower prices. Total for three, with three appetizers, three steaks, three sides and desserts came out to $84000 ($70 U.S. token) with card, or $75000 ($62.50 U.S. token) with the cash discount.

We got the ojo de bife, bife de chorizo and the entraña, but the star of the show was the bife de chorizo. It was magnificent and better than the last one I had at Don Julio or El Preferido, for significantly less.

10/10 experience, in my opinion. The only thing I’d change is that I wish it was a bit quieter inside. Definitely worthy of its place in the Michelin Guide, IMO. Or, to quote our friend, “Don’t cry for me Argentina, I’m going to eat all of your steak. Ojo de bife, ojo de bife… Ojo de bife, ojo de bife…”
Thank you! How did you find this? Many times I just go where it looks busy in non-touristy areas. How big were the portions? I assume this is it? The reviews are very good! Thank you for taking the time to post the review.

Thank you! Very solid reviews online. That price is very good for 3 of everything. Did that include drinks as well? You can't come even close to this in the USA. That is why I always laugh when people say BA is as expensive as the USA. My last few times back to the US I almost had a heart attack on food and grocery prices.

Thank you! How did you find this? Many times I just go where it looks busy in non-touristy areas. How big were the portions? I assume this is it? The reviews are very good! Thank you for taking the time to post the review.

It was listed as Bib Gourmand in the latest Michelin Guide, and it's only about 450m from my apartment.
Thank you! Very solid reviews online. That price is very good for 3 of everything. Did that include drinks as well? You can't come even close to this in the USA. That is why I always laugh when people say BA is as expensive as the USA. My last few times back to the US I almost had a heart attack on food and grocery prices.
It included (non-alcoholic) drinks. My wife and our friend had Sprite while I had my usual agua con gas.

It was listed as Bib Gourmand in the latest Michelin Guide, and it's only about 450m from my apartment.

It included (non-alcoholic) drinks. My wife and our friend had Sprite while I had my usual agua con gas.
Thank you for post this! It not far from my mother's flat. Those prices very good for 3 people with so much food. I will tell my parents to try.

I read now Google Reviews and good reviews except very strange only bad review for people say they don't speak English there. Strange thing to complain about as this is Argentina!

Their IG page is here -

I also ate here a few nights ago with my friends. It was very good. Very affordable for the quality of food. Portions weren't huge like some places but it was very good. Our bill was similar to @Darksider415 for the food but we got a few bottles of affordable wine so spent a little bit more. Very good service and very friendly. They didn't charge any cubierto either which was surprising as most places we went to do now.

We are staying over in Palermo but we really liked the neighborhood of this restaurant. After dinner, we walked to the Recoleta Cemetary area which was a very nice and easy stroll. Very clean area.

true! despite what Larry keeps trying to claim. you can tell who has traveled recently, and who is posting for ulterior political motives. Avocado and CheVos probably don't even have any Expat friends, or even try to get to know any, despite their victim mentality where everyone is exploiting them (and why are Locals on this forum for Expats, anyway? no one seems to be worried about the brigading, nor the bots here)

I will tell my parents to try.
shame on you! how dare your family pay $62.50 to $70 USD for a dinner!! that is how much a regular Ugandan person earns in one month!!!

"Some Ugandans Survive on 70 USD per month."
this is quite oppressive of you, CheVos. i don't think your family should be enjoying themselves with a lavish dinner when someone else in the world, in a different economy, earns less and can't afford those prices:

Yikes! This is CRAZY to pay this kind of money for food in Buenos Aires. This is what my boyfriend makes in 1 MONTH working. I'm not knocking you for spending this kind of money and I realize it's all relative as this must be very expensive back home. But you should know that some people make $450 US dollars per MONTH in Buenos Aires now.

i hope you see the error in your ways. your family should stay home, stay resentful, and make sure you keep adhering to your tribal beliefs and xenophobia. otherwise, you might seem oppressive to a Ugandan.

They didn't charge any cubierto either which was surprising as most places we went to do now.
@Che Vos make sure you lecture @Fox on how evil and cheap they are for not wanting to pay a Cubierto, alright?

Adding to my list.
same!
solidly competitive with Don Julio
thanks for the review. i got scammed at La Cabrera; interested to know if you've tried that place in the past few months. i never ended up going to Don Julio because La Cabrera made me grumpy, and then Don Julio started trying to charge $200 USD for a couple...nope! not when i can get $1250 Peso 500mL beers and $8 USD burger/fries at 7167 Burger instead! (happy hour 2500 2x1 pints...but bigger, at 500mL)

I went to La Cabrera. It was ok. Quality of Don Julio was much better than La Cabrera but I just did Don Julio the one time to see what everyone was raving about. Food and service were good but it is more of a one and done for me. Prices are crazy high compared to other places. La Cabrera was nothing special to me.

I liked all the sauces.
the cold mushrooms? the hot applesauce? the sauces that they just dropped-off to me and didn't explain anything?

did you get a salad? (warm lettuce and powdered parmesan cheese)

was your steak raw inside and chewy?

did you pay a big Cubierto charge that didn't include water, like it legally must?

did the servers cut your steak and make sure it's cooked right, like they claim they do?

multiple people i met at Cabrera cheap dinner were disappointed. but i was the only one that spoke-up. f*ck that tourist trap and its horrible staff and ownership.

the cold mushrooms? the hot applesauce? the sauces that they just dropped-off to me and didn't explain anything?

did you pay a big Cubierto charge that didn't include water, like it legally must?

did the servers cut your steak and make sure it's cooked right, like they claim they do?

multiple people i met at Cabrera cheap dinner were disappointed. but i was the only one that spoke-up. f*ck that tourist trap and its horrible staff and ownership.
I'm not sure about mushrooms. Yes there was an applesauce that was warm. That was ok but I more so meant the sauces for the meats. I found that they don't really do sauces in many restaurants and I like sauces. My steak was fine. I wouldn't say anything more special than other places. I will try out this restaurant on this thread. Prices are MUCH cheaper. I wouldn't go back to La Cabrera just because it was a cluster for the discount happy hour. Long line. I got there at 5:30 for the line to leave our names.

No one cut my steak there. I ordered medium rare and it was cooked perfectly. Definitely I would avoid touristy places. Every single person in line at La Cabrera were all foreigners. I didn't hear anyone speaking Spanish. I will avoid those places in the future.

It just sounds you had a bad experience which can happen in any place. But I just find it OK at La Cabrera. It isn't terrible and I suspect if everyone had an experience like you they wouldn't stay in business. It isn't worth going to without the happy hour prices. Plenty of better places at a cheaper price.

YES! This is one of our go to places. It has great value for the money. The steaks are excellent. Just as good as Don Julio but the star of the show are the appetizers! They are very good. Try the Spinich fritter appetizer. Delicious! The pear dessert is very good there!

YES! This is one of our go to places. It has great value for the money. The steaks are excellent. Just as good as Don Julio but the star of the show are the appetizers! They are very good. Try the Spinich fritter appetizer. Delicious! The pear dessert is very good there!
It’s funny you mention those, because we had both and they were excellent. The pears were especially good, though I still think the bite de chorizo was the star.

What a pity we did not get a chance to go here. My husband's office also had this place as a good option but by the end of the trip my kids were tired of steak so we went to Pasta at Sotto Voce which was excellent. But I will add this to my must dine at list. I very much enjoyed Buenos Aires.

It’s funny you mention those, because we had both and they were excellent. The pears were especially good, though I still think the bite de chorizo was the star.
You have great taste in food! :) We also ordered the Bife de Chorizo and an Asado de Tira and both were so yummy. We have only gone to Don Julio one time and would never go back after our meal here. It is making me hungry read your post. Those pears were out of this world good.

Thanks for the heads up about this place. It was fantastic and a bargain compared to other steak joints! I got the bife de chorizo on your recommendation along with the appetizers and dessert that was recommended on this thread. Outstanding!

Back