Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

"Ruta 33": Super Storm Approaching Buenos Aires

It is incredible how you lose the scale of what a storm is while you are in the city, but on the road, in the middle of the clean forest when there is nothing between you and the storm. but if you go on a motorcycle I feel genuine fear, I feel that I will sh*t myself dying if that gigantic mass of clouds swallows me.

If I'm on a motorcycle and I encounter that, I would honestly evaluate stopping on the side and use a tarp to make a makeshift tent or seek shelter under the trees (assuming it's not too windy) because that looks like it can bring a lot of water or stone, and you don't want to be driving on the road when a monumental hailstorm falls.

It depends on where you are standing, if you calculate that you can make a U-turn and go back to the last town you passed is a good idea for me.

The last time I got caught in a storm like this I was arriving to Picun Leufu in Neuquen, as I was almost there I went to the town, I rented a house and spent the night there, the storm stopped just when I arrived to the gate of that house, luckily it had a covered garage.

For those trips I have a watertight bag for things like the notebook or something that can not get wet, for the cell phone and wallet I have the rain suit in the saddlebags of the bike.

The rest of the things I carry can get wet but never drive when the first drops start to fall, it loosens the dirt from the street and ends up creating a very slippery surface, if you are on the road and you can't wait for it to finish, brake for a few minutes so that the water washes the asphalt.

I passed near a nice cloud of that wave today in the afternoon going along route 11 at the height of Santa Clara del Mar, going to the Mar del Plata side.
1708947774312.png

Back