Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

SabriBa

Is there anyone using a Square credit card reader here? I'm contemplating getting one for my business, but I'm unsure about its compatibility outside the US. According to their website, transactions outside the US aren't officially supported. I'm unclear whether this means they won't provide assistance if issues arise or if the transactions are outright blocked, akin to certain websites like Hulu. If anyone has experience or insights, I'd appreciate the input.

I've looked at it. iPod touch (NOT iPhone) on a VPN should be fine. Preferrably a smaller, paid VPN, or better yet, make one yourself if you can. What that does is that for all intents and purposes your computer appears to be in the US . (btw, AFAIK that works for Hulu as well if done right.)

Not sure if continued use with foreign CC's would be a problem. If you decide to try it, kindly let me know how it works out.

It does not work here. It requires location services to be on and detects when it is out of the US. I have one here and have tried it.

It does not work here. It requires location services to be on and detects when it is out of the US. I have one here and have tried it.
Have you tried it with iPhone (or 3G iPad), or iPod Touch? AFAIK, the iPhone has GPS to get its location; iPod Touch depends entirely on the Internet connection; put it on a VPN and it should be fine.

Yep the advice of the others to use a VPN is spot on target. It works perfectly on the iphone and the iPad.

Check out Strong VPN which works great in Argentina.

You only need to pay for it once and you can use it on your Computer, Iphone and Ipad.

Last edited:
Back