Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Tango/Milongas in BA

LisaHyat

Is there something like that? Like a tango bar, not a costumed show. Not a milonga, or a very small one at that. Some more intimate space with few people, not a large social gathering. A couple of musicians. Some customers dancing and learning. Near the center, if possible?

I see what you mean! Tango in Argentina has indeed become quite tourist-oriented in some places, and it might not be as prevalent in the day-to-day lives of modern Argentinians as it once was. It's similar to how wearing a beret might be seen as a stereotype rather than a common practice in France.

The individuals who provided that information to you, @Traveler , are mistaken.
Tango shows primarily cater to tourists, whereas milongas are where the essence of social tango dancing thrives. In fact, there are over 25 milonga options in the city for today alone. What's fascinating is that tango is gaining popularity among young Argentines by the day. Some milongas are so exclusive that they don't even publicly share their addresses; you need to be acquainted with someone to obtain details.
Furthermore, tango isn't just confined to Buenos Aires; it's a burgeoning phenomenon worldwide. Regardless of where I travel, I'm confident that I can find a milonga and instantly immerse myself in a vibrant community. Those who aren't part of the dancing scene often remain unaware of its rich culture and significance.

Thanks @Melibaires
I'd imagine it's akin to the flamenco scene in Seville. We're fortunate because every year we have the privilege of experiencing the world's finest flamenco artists coming to New York, leaving us with little reason to frequent tourist-oriented shows in Seville. Instead, we relish the intimate flamenco bars, often without even a chair, as they offer a completely distinct experience.

While we've witnessed stunning tango shows in Buenos Aires before, this time around, we're seeking something different during our visit.

Certainly, there are numerous vibrant milongas catering to various demographics, including older crowds, younger crowds, those with LGBT orientation, and more.

Cheers!

hello @Melibaires I'll be heading to Buenos Aires in February and I'm really keen on experiencing the Milongas. Could you please provide some recommendations? I'll be staying in Palermo. Thank you very much, and wishing you a fantastic time!

Hi @Melibaires, We'll also be in Buenos Aires in mid-February 2024, staying in the Palermo district, and would love to experience a Milonga during our visit. Could you please share the list of venues? Thank you for sharing!

Hi Everyone!

I'd like to recommend a Milonga that everyone enjoys. It's called Maldita Milonga and typically takes place on Thursday nights.

In February, there's a class at 9 p.m. which is open to beginners, followed by the Milonga starting at 10 p.m. At 11:30 p.m., there's a dance performance, and at midnight, the live orchestra begins.

To secure your spot, it's necessary to reserve via Whatsapp in advance: +54 9 11 4550 1514

Address: 571 Perú St., in Monserrat.

Hope this information proves helpful!

Back