Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics The Argentine Government resigned from the BRICS through a letter sent by President Javier Milei - CNN

Oh, what a brilliant move by Milei, right? Who wouldn't want to cozy up to a club where Russia is practically leading the charge? I mean, it's not like Russia is enjoying a surge in popularity among the developed nations these days. Oh no, quite the opposite – they're practically the talk of the town, and by "talk," I mean, who can dislike them more.

It's common knowledge that any association with Russia is the golden ticket to being everyone's favorite blacklist member. Investors from those oh-so-developed countries must be dying to jump into a collaboration where the main instigator is, you guessed it, Russia. Because, you know, in the grand scheme of international relations, aligning yourself with the popular kid on the block is always a foolproof strategy. Bravo, Milei, bravo!
India and China have maintained robust business ties with Russia, seemingly unfazed by Western sanctions. This trend extends to numerous Asian and Arab nations, which often prioritize their strategic and economic interests over strict adherence to Western policies. The influence of the United States, while noteworthy, encounters limitations in a multipolar world where nations exercise sovereign decision-making.

The efficacy of sanctions, particularly their impact on Russia's actions in Ukraine, remains a matter of debate. Despite endeavors such as an oil price cap designed to apply economic pressure, Russia has exhibited resilience and adaptability. Simultaneously, Russia is bolstering its military production and mobilization efforts, indicating preparedness for a prolonged conflict.

Vladimir Putin's recent diplomatic ventures, particularly to Asian and Middle Eastern countries, underscore Russia's strategy to fortify ties beyond the Western sphere of influence. This diplomatic outreach is a deliberate move by Russia to alleviate the repercussions of Western sanctions and uphold its international relationships.

If prioritizing a self-contained economic approach aligns with your preferences, North Korea could indeed be considered an ideal country. This nation has a notable tendency to focus its investments predominantly on internal initiatives, abstaining from allocating its hard-earned currency toward international projects.

Russia can't invest anywhere because they are international pariahs

China will invest anywhere but they will want an arm, a leg, a kidney, and a testicle as a guarantee.

Brazil doesn't have any cash to invest.

And India, too busy trying to manage its own internal development.

Have we missed anything by not signing the Brics Charter? Not really, to be honest

If prioritizing a self-contained economic approach aligns with your preferences, North Korea could indeed be considered an ideal country. This nation has a notable tendency to focus its investments predominantly on internal initiatives, abstaining from allocating its hard-earned currency toward international projects.
Ah, let's unravel the intricate dance of financial sleight-of-hand, shall we? The quoted assertion skillfully highlights India's artistry in orchestrating circular payments to its own projects.

China will invest anywhere but they will want an arm, a leg, a kidney, and a testicle as a guarantee.

Have we missed anything by not signing the Brics Charter? Not really, to be honest

Ah, let's unravel the intricate dance of financial sleight-of-hand, shall we? The quoted assertion skillfully highlights India's artistry in orchestrating circular payments to its own projects.

Now, don't let the grand BRICS and NDB banners fool you; they're not the maestros in this symphony. No, no, they're merely playing the role of pass-through entities, like a courier service shuttling funds from one place to another.

It's all a bit of a theatrical spectacle, you see. These projects, draped in the BRICS aura, might seem like a dazzling display, but, in reality, they're more about the show than any tangible value being ushered into India's coffers. The real MVPs here? The benefits quietly bestowed upon these 24 projects by the hand of the Indian government itself. Good job India!

China will place bets anywhere and let the money flow. They are like a loanshark that will freely give out money to anyone that will come to it only they will break your legs when you can't pay the vig.

Oh, what a dazzling display of benefits India has reaped from its illustrious membership in BRICS! I mean, who wouldn't trade tangible economic gains for a generous serving of status and media attention, right?

Let's take a moment to admire the impressive "NDB" projects – oh wait, those were just the Indian government flexing its financial muscles for the benefit of its own people. Silly me, thinking BRICS had anything to do with it! I mean, sure, India could have done these same projects without slapping the BRICS name on them, but where's the fun in that?

So, if by some miraculous twist of fate, there are actual benefits India has received from BRICS, do enlighten us. But, if it turns out it's all been a grand charade, well, maybe Argentina dodging the BRICS bullet is not such a bad move. Who needs economic benefits when you can have a front-row seat to the media spectacle, right?

Certainly, I appreciate some member's nuanced perspective. It's crucial to recognize that advocating for truly free trade is a complex proposition with inherent challenges.

The dynamics that apply to certain countries, such as Serbia, which historically maintains strong ties with Russia, may not necessarily mirror the situations faced by others. Argentina, in its current position, presents a unique set of vulnerabilities, particularly considering the historical context and the diplomatic challenges that might arise from alliances.

Milei's approach, while perhaps lacking in diplomacy, can be seen as a pragmatic response. His outspokenness, especially in announcing allies, may have already provided some insights into the reception of BRICS. Acknowledging that the most substantial investors in Argentina hail from the EU and the USA underscores the importance of not disregarding their interests.

While Milei's decision may not align with personal preferences or feelings, it does seem to have a strategic rationale. Balancing bilateral agreements with BRICS countries, excluding Russia due to historical considerations, allows Argentina to navigate its diplomatic landscape effectively. In essence, this decision seems to align with the pragmatic realities of Argentina's economic and geopolitical context.

So far I think Milei is doing a masterful job. I'm not sure anyone could do any better. Tough decisions to be made.

India possesses immense potential on the path to becoming a superpower. A noteworthy aspect is that approximately half of the country's population earns a livelihood through agriculture, a stark contrast to the United States where this figure is less than 2%.

Agriculture stands as a substantial contributor to India's economic strength, complemented by robust industries in medical technology, software engineering, and various technological sectors. Beyond the domestic market, these industries play a pivotal role in propelling the economy through significant exports. As of now, India holds the position of the 5th largest economy globally.

regarding BRICS/Russia, new article today from SovereignMan (now called SchiffSovereign) with an interesting Trip Report from Moscow:

@Betsy Ross @Canada Goose @Wally @GlasgowJohn @earlyretirement any experience in Russia? the Argentina passport is part of my plan to be able to finally see Russia someday

regarding BRICS/Russia, new article today from SovereignMan (now called SchiffSovereign) with an interesting Trip Report from Moscow:

@Betsy Ross @Canada Goose @Wally @GlasgowJohn @earlyretirement any experience in Russia? the Argentina passport is part of my plan to be able to finally see Russia someday
I have done two trip`s to Moscow with my UK passport.

Back in the nineties I recall one trip when a friend and myself were attacked by a group of Russian gypsies about 5 blocks from the Red Square and in full view of soe laZy policemen.

We fought them off and went back to the hotel for a stiff drink. We thought we had got off lightly until my friend went to pay for the brandies - his wallet had been taken from the inside pocket of his jacket . He didnt notice a thing but there was a beautiful cut in the inside of his jacket made by a knife or a blade.

Other than that Moscow is a great city - great food , great clubs and a few attarctive women - well i was younger and unmarried!

Back