Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

The coldest May in 30 years

In Tierra del Fuego, a friendly penguin crossed the streets during the cold wave, surprising a woman driving her car. The situation arose because even penguins struggle to navigate when everything is frozen 🥶

This year is COLD. I don't mind the cold growing up in NYC but my family here are wimps. One thing that is painful is the utility bills have gone way up. It's going to be interesting to see if they raise rates any higher than they do. Our bill is almost 4 times what it usually is this time of year. I hope they don't raise the rates more.

I'm thinking about that too. How much will the electricity bill be this month? I have the air conditioner on almost all day, but what can we do? I can't imagine getting through this winter without using it. I just hope the electricity and Metrogas prices don't keep going up.

I'm thinking about that too. How much will the electricity bill be this month? I have the air conditioner on almost all day, but what can we do? I can't imagine getting through this winter without using it. I just hope the electricity and Metrogas prices don't keep going up.
I also have my heating with my AC unit as it is frio/calor and my bill is also was a surprise! But I knew that was coming. I was used to such low rates for so long but that has now ended. I worry about how stores and businesses will cope with the sticker shock. People are already not buying with the recession. How will these businesses handle this?

Many places even if it's not cold out blast the heat on all the time in the winter. Annoyingly hot. I can't imagine what their bill will be.

I was just chatting today about this with a rental guest. Utility prices have gone up tremendously. It's still a relative bargain compared to most cities. But with the extreme cold and the need to heat properties, the bills are very high for locals. I just got utility bills for some apartments that I own and the bills are 400% higher. Subsidies also have ended for many property owners.

For expats it is still very low but I can't imagine how locals are going to deal with this sticker shock. I have a friend that has a very large apartment and he just told me he got an electricity bill that was almost $500 USD. Granted it's the entire floor and about 450 sq. meters. But that's a huge bill.

Here is an actual bill for a one bedroom apartment in Recoleta.

Edesur recoleta.jpg

I also have my heating with my AC unit as it is frio/calor and my bill is also was a surprise! But I knew that was coming. I was used to such low rates for so long but that has now ended. I worry about how stores and businesses will cope with the sticker shock. People are already not buying with the recession. How will these businesses handle this?

Many places even if it's not cold out blast the heat on all the time in the winter. Annoyingly hot. I can't imagine what their bill will be.
That is a big annoyance to me as well. The locals love to blast heat on in the winter even if it's not cold out. I would think this would end with the higher cost of utilities but everywhere I go it's crazy hot inside.

I was just chatting today about this with a rental guest. Utility prices have gone up tremendously. It's still a relative bargain compared to most cities. But with the extreme cold and the need to heat properties, the bills are very high for locals. I just got utility bills for some apartments that I own and the bills are 400% higher. Subsidies also have ended for many property owners.

For expats it is still very low but I can't imagine how locals are going to deal with this sticker shock. I have a friend that has a very large apartment and he just told me he got an electricity bill that was almost $500 USD. Granted it's the entire floor and about 450 sq. meters. But that's a huge bill.

Here is an actual bill for a one bedroom apartment in Recoleta.

View attachment 6618
That still isn't bad. You don't want to see a utility bill from the US. My brother just showed me his bill and it was outrageous last month.

Back