Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Economy The government claimed that wages are outpacing inflation: it's a joke?

Of course, we always speak generally, without fanaticism and trying to be objective. However, there are many here who are devoted to Milei and can't see that, beyond the necessary actions, there are people who are suffering. It's similar to the Kirchnerists when they try to defend the indefensible purely for ideological reasons. Extreme fanaticism is harmful, and opinions aren't objective.
Ask the healthcare workers (hospitals, medical centers) who have been fighting for a decent raise for months. I have friends in that field, and they get their raises paid in 3 to 6 months, meaning that raise will never outpace inflation. And this happens in many other sectors. You just have to listen to the people. Even those who voted for Milei say it painfully, mentioning they are making a sacrifice because they trust him and have faith that things will improve. But the government shouldn't make such statements when the public is so sensitive about this issue.
Sometimes, you need to step out of the bubble and be objective. I don't know how many here work as employees for Argentine employers. It's easy to see things from the outside and give vague opinions. This is a very sensitive issue.

And you do?

We all know? Do we? Really? How?
Just by observing the current situation and the living conditions of the population, it's clear that the statement in question should not have been made. It's not about hating Milei; it's about recognizing that this is a very delicate and sensitive issue for Argentinians. Sometimes, we need to have a little empathy and set aside fanaticism. Fanaticism prevents us from being objective in our opinions.

Whenever a government -Argentina , UK or USA - says that salaries are beating inflation , I treat the comment with total contempt.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: So true. I don't know anywhere where salaries are truly beating inflation. Governments always lie about inflation rates. Here in the US they strip out many various things like fuel costs, groceries, etc. which are two of the biggest costs people have!

Just by observing the current situation and the living conditions of the population, it's clear that the statement in question should not have been made. It's not about hating Milei; it's about recognizing that this is a very delicate and sensitive issue for Argentinians. Sometimes, we need to have a little empathy and set aside fanaticism. Fanaticism prevents us from being objective in our opinions.
Well an easy way to figure this out is @CecilM do you work? What was your salary in January and what is it now? Have your gotten a raise in your salary? If so, what was it?

Well an easy way to figure this out is @CecilM do you work? What was your salary in January and what is it now? Have your gotten a raise in your salary? If so, what was it?
Most people on this forum receive their salaries or pensions in dollars, which is incomparable to local residents working here for a monthly salary of 800,000 pesos, often working up to 9 hours a day. Salaries never keep up with inflation in this country, especially not now. You don't need to be an economics expert to see it. I know this because I interact with people who live here, stepping outside the bubble where many reside. However, this is just my opinion based on what I observe in my immediate surroundings, so I'm not judging anyone; everyone has their own reality.

Most people on this forum receive their salaries or pensions in dollars, which is incomparable to local residents working here for a monthly salary of 800,000 pesos, often working up to 9 hours a day. Salaries never keep up with inflation in this country, especially not now. You don't need to be an economics expert to see it. I know this because I interact with people who live here, stepping outside the bubble where many reside. However, this is just my opinion based on what I observe in my immediate surroundings, so I'm not judging anyone; everyone has their own reality.
You're right in what you say. I support Milei, but I don't deny reality. I know everything is very difficult, and obviously more so for some than others. But I have faith that this great effort will be worth it.

Back