Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer The medical emergency services in BA are overwhelmed

wonka

I had to visit the emergency room at Sanatorio Trinidad de Palermo, and it was chaotic due to the long wait times. There were too many people with dengue symptoms. However, I found out there's a virtual queue system through an app. Essentially, you can schedule an appointment via the app for the emergency room and arrive a few minutes before your slot. You can track your place in the queue through your phone, which is fantastic because you don't have to wait for hours there. This service, called "Guardia Inteligente," can also be accessed through their website.
You only need to create a username and password

That is great information. Many hospitals are full with people that have dengue fever or symptoms of it. The healthcare system has collapsed under Milei. Now many people forced to drop their prepaga medical plans and will be forced to enter public system. Everything will get worse.

Yes, it is really chaos, I spent 5 hours waiting and I have a good "prepaga", I can't imagine what it must be like in a public hospital. Now that I have discovered the "Guardia inteligente" system, I will take advantage of it in the future.

My girlfriend's mum there in Buenos Aires also reported a mess when she went to the hospital. I read about the Dengue reports but I did not know so many are going to the hospital. We were supposed to head back to BA but will wait to come back once it is cooler. Spain is very nice. I am surprised by how many Argentines are in Malaga. It is full.

This sounds absolutely horrible. Everyone always talks about the upsides of digital nomad living in a cheaper country but few times do you get to read all the pain points as well. I am sorry all of you have to go through this. :(

My neighbor reported the same long lines. I think she went to a public hospital. She came down with dengue. Seems like reported infections is really creeping up.

Back