Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

The Mess in Argentina - Javier Milei's chainsaw is only making matters worse

It is hard to know if things are getting better or getting worse. I met several people during my trip to BA last year. Most tell me things are worse but a few tell me things are improving. Not sure which is true. I just don't understand how you can put the bulk of things on the backs of the poor and middle class. That does not sound like it will work.

It is hard to know if things are getting better or getting worse. I met several people during my trip to BA last year. Most tell me things are worse but a few tell me things are improving. Not sure which is true. I just don't understand how you can put the bulk of things on the backs of the poor and middle class. That does not sound like it will work.
Things are getting worse. I wanted to support Milei but I just see things getting worse. People can try to blame CFK, Alberto and former administrations and of course, they have blame but I feel like Milei is making things worse. Poverty levels are jumping up. Inflation is not lower on most of our everyday budgets.

CEPO is still in place. Utility costs have spiraled out of control. My monthly condo fees have exploded upwards. My healthcare premium has exploded upwards and continues to go up each month. Going out to a meal at a restaurant which used to be a frequent thing is down to once a month now.

My social security check doesn't get me through the end of the month anymore. I can't imagine for people on a peso salary. Let's stop pretending that things are getting better. I used to be able to live off solely my SS payment and now I am going through savings.

Things are getting worse. I wanted to support Milei but I just see things getting worse. People can try to blame CFK, Alberto and former administrations and of course, they have blame but I feel like Milei is making things worse. Poverty levels are jumping up. Inflation is not lower on most of our everyday budgets.

CEPO is still in place. Utility costs have spiraled out of control. My monthly condo fees have exploded upwards. My healthcare premium has exploded upwards and continues to go up each month. Going out to a meal at a restaurant which used to be a frequent thing is down to once a month now.

My social security check doesn't get me through the end of the month anymore. I can't imagine for people on a peso salary. Let's stop pretending that things are getting better. I used to be able to live off solely my SS payment and now I am going through savings.
Sorry you are also dealing with this. Many are in a similar situation. Prices are very dear to the point that majority of population in Argentina can't cope with their bills. Poverty levels especially with the young under 16 years old is over 65%.

The good thing is Milei's popularity is going down fast now. People that I know are finally admitting they made a mistake electing him. It is only a matter of time now that people will realize he made things worse.

Very sorry you are struggling but my guess is you will be struggling anywhere right now. Costs have escalated all over, especially the USA. I get what you're saying that you used to be able to afford Argentina and now you can't but you probably shouldn't have expected Argentina to be cheap forever. From what I've been told things go up and down here.

Sorry you are also dealing with this. Many are in a similar situation. Prices are very dear to the point that majority of population in Argentina can't cope with their bills. Poverty levels especially with the young under 16 years old is over 65%.

The good thing is Milei's popularity is going down fast now. People that I know are finally admitting they made a mistake electing him. It is only a matter of time now that people will realize he made things worse.
The younger generation LOVES Milei. Just being to order stuff on Amazon for a fraction of the price of Mercado Libre is the first signs to them things are changing. His approval ratings might be falling but still very impressive for the amount of austerity measures he put in place.

Looks like a rock concert and look at all those younger supporters!

Tough spot. I know a few people in your situation. Buenos Aires is not cheap anymore. Some of our friends have moved to more affordable cities in the interior. You may want to think about that @Opera Fan. Much lower cost of living. Cost of living has at least doubled anywhere in Argentina but your dollar will go a lot further outside of CABA.

If you can't make it here you certainly can't make it in the USA now.

We will know by next year how the economy truly is. I don't see Milei changing strategies at all. Their #1 of their principles is not caring what any opinions are of people that helped ruin the country. Things get too murky if he groups in people in this category that don't deserve to be in this category.

LLA.jpg

Thank you to those with sympathy what I am going through. I know I can't complain when others are struggling more but I still feel it is ok to vent. I do realize that I could not afford to retire in the United States. That is the reason why I decided to retire here. I just didn't think it could change so quickly.

I have a medical condition and rely on private healthcare insurance here that went from affordable last year to jumping up about 250% in less than a year. Also, medications that were normally covered aren't anymore. In fact, medications here are more than in the USA for some things.

Thinking about moving to a cheaper area is a good idea and will consider that but I also heard that some things are more expensive outside of CABA like utility bills. I don't know if that is true or not. I did expect that inflation would cause some things to go up just not 200%, 300% 400% so quickly in one year. I don't think that is reasonable or fair to expect those kinds of increases for the masses overnight. Just my rants. Thanks for listening.

Very sorry you are struggling but my guess is you will be struggling anywhere right now. Costs have escalated all over, especially the USA. I get what you're saying that you used to be able to afford Argentina and now you can't but you probably shouldn't have expected Argentina to be cheap forever. From what I've been told things go up and down here.

The younger generation LOVES Milei. Just being to order stuff on Amazon for a fraction of the price of Mercado Libre is the first signs to them things are changing. His approval ratings might be falling but still very impressive for the amount of austerity measures he put in place.

On the world stage Milei has put Argentina on the map especially with the positives that Elon Musk amongst others have said about him and the country. Things may not being going well for many, but what they have is hope. Hope leads towards the first step of change.

On the world stage Milei has put Argentina on the map especially with the positives that Elon Musk amongst others have said about him and the country. Things may not being going well for many, but what they have is hope. Hope leads towards the first step of change.
I agree some have hope now that they would have never had before. I am not even arguing that long term Argentina will end up a better place. My rant is that instead of amputating an arm, he is amputating both arms and both legs all at once. Poverty rate is going up and there is only a limit to how much people can take. @FuturoBA if you look in my building almost 60% of the owners are all behind on their bills. Probably the same for utility bills. Cost of living has shot up contrary to reports of inflation going down. On some things it is going down. On most things that are essential it is going up.

To my knowledge, even Elon Musk has not invested one penny in Argentina so far. Hope can only take you so far. Hope can't pay for medicine, condo fees, food or electricity bills or transportation to get to/from work.

I agree with you Futuro there is good exposure with Argentina. Not everything Milei is doing is negative but he is trying to make lower and middle class pay for all of these changes. It is too much. Letting companies raise their prices with no limits is a mistake. We will wait and see what happens but the approval ratings is what people should pay attention to now.

Prices are getting too dear. I paid $16 dollars this weekend for hamburger, fries and coke. I could get the same thing for less in the States or Europe.

Very sorry you are dealing with this. I am also in the same situation and it's making me nervous. I don't care what is going on in the United States or other countries. I decided to retire here so this is what I am focused on and a drastic rise in the cost of living makes me nervous. I am also dipping into savings which is not a good feeling.

And the worst thing is I have no idea what will happen next or if it will get worse. We are getting hit with a double whammy of local price inflation and also government intervention with the peso and the US dollar. Expats or others earning or saving in dollars will face even higher cost of living. Looks like prices will go up another 30%.

I read this article and it made me nervous. Especially this part.

"Can the zero deficit-zero monetary expansion-2% devaluation program achieve its goals? Certainly, it can. But if Phase 2 of the plan does not work as expected and the market is not convinced that the current trajectory of the official exchange rate is sustainable, the exchange rate gap does not close by the necessary magnitude or speed needed to lift exchange rate control, country risk does not ease, the government may opt to rectify the exchange rate path flexibly by devaluing the official dollar to unify it with the parallel dollar -from the official towards the parallel-, consider simultaneously lifting exchange rate controls and ensure a unified exchange rate trajectory consistent with an increase in international reserves, to lower country risk and facilitate an economic recovery while shielding fiscal balance and monetary tightening."

Very sorry you are dealing with this. I am also in the same situation and it's making me nervous. I don't care what is going on in the United States or other countries. I decided to retire here so this is what I am focused on and a drastic rise in the cost of living makes me nervous. I am also dipping into savings which is not a good feeling.

And the worst thing is I have no idea what will happen next or if it will get worse. We are getting hit with a double whammy of local price inflation and also government intervention with the peso and the US dollar. Expats or others earning or saving in dollars will face even higher cost of living. Looks like prices will go up another 30%.

I read this article and it made me nervous. Especially this part.

"Can the zero deficit-zero monetary expansion-2% devaluation program achieve its goals? Certainly, it can. But if Phase 2 of the plan does not work as expected and the market is not convinced that the current trajectory of the official exchange rate is sustainable, the exchange rate gap does not close by the necessary magnitude or speed needed to lift exchange rate control, country risk does not ease, the government may opt to rectify the exchange rate path flexibly by devaluing the official dollar to unify it with the parallel dollar -from the official towards the parallel-, consider simultaneously lifting exchange rate controls and ensure a unified exchange rate trajectory consistent with an increase in international reserves, to lower country risk and facilitate an economic recovery while shielding fiscal balance and monetary tightening."
I read that article. Many of us expats who are retired are facing the same pains. Understandably no one expects that prices will be cheap forever but an increase of 150% in one year without knowing if they will go up further is tough. Prices for many items are now more expensive than in the States and touristy areas of Europe.

Younger people should see these numbers: more than half of the population is living in poverty:

1727718003070.jpeg

Younger people should see these numbers: more than half of the population is living in poverty:

View attachment 7588

And what % do you think this would be at if we had hypernflation?? It most certainly would be higher than it is. The poverty numbers are actually starting to go down. Wait until the end of this year and next year to see what it is. If the numbers get much worse the popularity numbers will go down.

But poverty levels are a reflection of previous government's actions. It is painful fixing things and will take time but you can't put all of this on President MIlei.

You expats now understand what we are dealing with in Argentina. And you all can't complain compared to us. You have savings or pensions in USD. Try living and earning on pesos.
I agree with you that no expat can complain compared to locals making peso incomes. But I think it's fair for expats to vent on the cost of living increases which I have seen jump up at least 150% or more in less than a year. I don't think there is too much more they can take in huge increases in monthly expenses. If things don't turn around by 2025 people will lose faith in this new President.

And what % do you think this would be at if we had hypernflation?? It most certainly would be higher than it is. The poverty numbers are actually starting to go down. Wait until the end of this year and next year to see what it is. If the numbers get much worse the popularity numbers will go down.

But poverty levels are a reflection of previous government's actions. It is painful fixing things and will take time but you can't put all of this on President MIlei.
Yes, you're right! I'm not defending the previous administration, but everything needs to have a balance. The average person doesn’t understand macroeconomics, and they shouldn’t have to. With Milei's measures, he hasn’t taken care of the most vulnerable, which shows a lack of empathy on his part. I understand that, besides being president, he is also a person. We'll see if time proves right those who say we need to be patient for a long period.

Back