Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Economy The number of homeless people increases every month

Sonja

I've only been in Buenos Aires for two months, and I've seen many homeless people. I know it's not that different from the reality in the U.S., but it has surprised me quite a bit. I've seen many organizations that provide hot meals and blankets to those in need at night. From what I've been told, these groups are not connected to the government; they're just ordinary people coming together to help. This has also surprised me. I've always heard about how compassionate Argentinians are, but seeing it up close has really touched me. It's so sad to see the crisis these people are living through. 😢

I've only been in Buenos Aires for two months, and I've seen many homeless people. I know it's not that different from the reality in the U.S., but it has surprised me quite a bit. I've seen many organizations that provide hot meals and blankets to those in need at night. From what I've been told, these groups are not connected to the government; they're just ordinary people coming together to help. This has also surprised me. I've always heard about how compassionate Argentinians are, but seeing it up close has really touched me. It's so sad to see the crisis these people are living through. 😢

It has gotten really bad under this new President. It wasn't this bad before.

It is a sad reality but there are enough homeless shelters to take them in as the article mentions. There is no need for anyone to sleep in the street. There are places that will take them in. Just like in the USA for whatever reason some choose to live on the streets. I have personally told a few people of the Whatsapp number and that I can call for them and I've been told to mind my own business. The people that are on the streets sometimes choose that life and don't want to leave their stuff behind. There are resources to help them so there is no excuses to live on the street vs. go into a shelter with food and a roof over their head.

It is a sad reality but there are enough homeless shelters to take them in as the article mentions. There is no need for anyone to sleep in the street. There are places that will take them in. Just like in the USA for whatever reason some choose to live on the streets. I have personally told a few people of the Whatsapp number and that I can call for them and I've been told to mind my own business. The people that are on the streets sometimes choose that life and don't want to leave their stuff behind. There are resources to help them so there is no excuses to live on the street vs. go into a shelter with food and a roof over their head.
This is correct @Betsy Ross. My friend is a police officer and they routinely try to help the homeless but they can't force them to go into these shelters. Also, most of these shelters just like in the States have a policy of no drugs or alcohol and some people can't abide by that. Yet others have pets. I see the same sort of thing back home in NYC.

Back