Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink The so famous "Mate" where do I get them?

monkey

I'm looking to buy Mate as a souvenir to bring back to the UK. I wanted to inquire about any regulations or restrictions associated with bringing Mate through customs.

Furthermore, could you recommend places where I can purchase Mate, and provide insights into the best brands and flavors available? Additionally, I've seen specialized Mate-drinking utensils being sold; is it necessary to use these, or can Mate be enjoyed using a regular cup?

I would also like to know what are the typical sweets or treats from there to bring as a gift to my friends.

Appreciate your assistance!

Absolutely, bringing Mate back home via airplane poses no issues. You can easily find it at major supermarkets or specialized stores in various neighborhoods.

Considering you're in Argentina, it might be a nice touch to purchase a traditional mate cup and straw for the authentic mate-drinking experience.

Moreover, Mate is available in tea bags, providing the option to brew it in a regular cup and enjoy it as you would any other tea. Rest assured, there's no hassle when it comes to customs.

I'm looking to buy Mate as a souvenir to bring back to the UK. I wanted to inquire about any regulations or restrictions associated with bringing Mate through customs.

Furthermore, could you recommend places where I can purchase Mate, and provide insights into the best brands and flavors available? Additionally, I've seen specialized Mate-drinking utensils being sold; is it necessary to use these, or can Mate be enjoyed using a regular cup?

I would also like to know what are the typical sweets or treats from there to bring as a gift to my friends.

Appreciate your assistance!

Hi monkey!
I leave you valuable information about mate and what it means for Argentines, where to get them, their benefits and how to prepare them for a successful experience.

What does mate mean to Argentines?

Mate in Argentina is not just a beverage; it's a gesture of friendship and cordiality deeply embedded in the culture. Beyond age and social strata, it represents a symbol of gathering. Sharing mate goes beyond mere ceremony; it's an act that strengthens bonds between people and bridges distances. This infusion not only quenches thirst but also encourages reflection and discussion, making it the quintessential social drink. It's a link that binds the Argentine community, creating meaningful moments and fortifying connections among friends and family.

1701208500276.jpeg

How to Make Delicious Mate?

For many, enjoying mate involves participating in an intimate ritual, a ceremony shared between those who prepare it and those who partake. Achieving a good mate requires a delicate balance of temperatures and timing, and although each person has their methods and secrets, there are certain steps that experts in the art of mate preparation tend to follow. Here's a step-by-step guide to making an exceptional mate.

1. Fill the mate to about three-quarters of its capacity with high-quality yerba mate.
  2. Gently shake the mate, covering the mouth with the palm of your hand.
  3. Allow all the yerba to accumulate on one side of the mate so that when you stand it up, it tilts in that direction.
  4. Pour a stream of cold or warm water into the part of the mate where there is less yerba, i.e., the bottom of the tilt. When the yerba swells, place the bombilla on that side.
  5. Prepare the mate by pouring water as close to the bombilla as possible to avoid wetting all the yerba. This preserves the flavor for a longer time, as dry yerba gradually releases its flavor each time water is poured into the mate. If all the yerba gets wet, the mate will lose its flavor more quickly.
  6. It is recommended not to move the bombilla once the mate begins to avoid clogging and to keep the dry yerba from getting wet.
By following these steps, you can enjoy a perfectly prepared mate, preserving its full flavor with each sip.

Where can I get the famous Mate?

You can purchase mate at a variety of places, from bazaars and shops to specialized establishments dedicated solely to the sale of mates. Surprisingly, you can even find it in supermarkets and airports! The selection includes a range of models, colors, and sizes, with some even being personalized.

Additionally, you can get the mate straw, known as the bombilla, at stores where mates are sold.

As for yerba mate, its availability is extensive and accessible. You can easily find it in supermarkets, "kioscos", and stores. You'll have the choice between the classic yerba mate or flavored variations. The world of mate unfolds before you with options that cater to all tastes and preferences.

Here are the most popular places to buy a good Mate:

TODO MATES
Whatsapp Number¨: 54-9-1127871913
IG: @todomates

CUSHÉ MATES
1862, Bulnes St Palermo
IG: @cushemates

APACUEROS MATES & BOMBILLAS
Whatsapp Number¨: 54-9-1123978724
IG: @apa.cuero

Benefits of Mate

In recent years, interest in the nutritional and therapeutic benefits of mate has grown worldwide. Among its properties, it is considered a great antioxidant, source of vitamins and minerals. In addition, it helps to reduce bad cholesterol.

First of all, the antioxidant power is due to the high concentration of polyphenols. They help to improve the body's defenses and protect against cell damage.

Then, yerba mate contains B vitamins (B1 and B6), essential to regulate our energy and prevent fatigue and tiredness. In addition, yerba mate has minerals such as potassium and magnesium.

Finally, it contains xanthines, bioactive compounds that stimulate the central nervous system and promote concentration.

Variants of mate

BITTERr or SWEET mate, with any additives, at what water temperature, regular or flavored yerba mate, what about adding herbs? When it comes to preparing mate, tastes are as diverse as people.

The same variety also exists when it comes to choosing the container and the bombilla. Although the typical mate is made of gourd, there are also wooden, glass, plastic, ceramic, earthenware, and even cow's hooves and horns. Argentina is an expert in this field.

Tereré
It is a cold mate used to hydrate and alleviate the heat. It is typical of the Gran Chaco region (Paraguay, Bolivia and Argentina). It is served with cold water, ice and other herbs, such as mint leaves, lemon verbena and orange tree.

Some people prepare it with citrus juice. To drink it, instead of using the gourd, it is steeped in a glass with a larger capacity than the traditional mate. Recently, tereré was declared World Heritage.

Stewed Mate
It is a hot infusion, the equivalent of tea in many countries. It is prepared by adding spoonfuls of yerba mate and sugar to boiling water. It is left to steep and then filtered.

Here's a tip! Some people put the sugar and yerba mate in a pot on the stove to melt them. Then, add the hot water and that's it! It is ideal for very cold days.

Finally, a nice historical review

The history of Argentine mate has its origins in the Guarani people, before the Spanish conquest and colonization. For the Guarani, yerba meant food, but also medicine. It was a gift from the gods.

Over time, it became a typical tradition of the Argentine culture that lasts until today. Synonymous with meeting and sharing, the mate ceremony accompanies us throughout the day and at all times.

In 2013 it was declared "national infusion" and, since 2015, it has a day dedicated to its celebration. It is a symbol of our national identity and of worldwide recognition.

I hope this information has been useful and that you enjoy some delicious mates! 🧉😊

Hi monkey!
I leave you valuable information about mate and what it means for Argentines, where to get them, their benefits and how to prepare them for a successful experience.

Mate in Argentina is not just a beverage; it's a gesture of friendship and cordiality deeply embedded in the culture. Beyond age and social strata, it represents a symbol of gathering. Sharing mate goes beyond mere ceremony; it's an act that strengthens bonds between people and bridges distances. This infusion not only quenches thirst but also encourages reflection and discussion, making it the quintessential social drink. It's a link that binds the Argentine community, creating meaningful moments and fortifying connections among friends and family.

View attachment 404

For many, enjoying mate involves participating in an intimate ritual, a ceremony shared between those who prepare it and those who partake. Achieving a good mate requires a delicate balance of temperatures and timing, and although each person has their methods and secrets, there are certain steps that experts in the art of mate preparation tend to follow. Here's a step-by-step guide to making an exceptional mate.

1. Fill the mate to about three-quarters of its capacity with high-quality yerba mate.
  3. Allow all the yerba to accumulate on one side of the mate so that when you stand it up, it tilts in that direction.
  4. Pour a stream of cold or warm water into the part of the mate where there is less yerba, i.e., the bottom of the tilt. When the yerba swells, place the bombilla on that side.
  5. Prepare the mate by pouring water as close to the bombilla as possible to avoid wetting all the yerba. This preserves the flavor for a longer time, as dry yerba gradually releases its flavor each time water is poured into the mate. If all the yerba gets wet, the mate will lose its flavor more quickly.
  6. It is recommended not to move the bombilla once the mate begins to avoid clogging and to keep the dry yerba from getting wet.
By following these steps, you can enjoy a perfectly prepared mate, preserving its full flavor with each sip.

You can purchase mate at a variety of places, from bazaars and shops to specialized establishments dedicated solely to the sale of mates. Surprisingly, you can even find it in supermarkets and airports! The selection includes a range of models, colors, and sizes, with some even being personalized.

Additionally, you can get the mate straw, known as the bombilla, at stores where mates are sold.

As for yerba mate, its availability is extensive and accessible. You can easily find it in supermarkets, "kioscos", and stores. You'll have the choice between the classic yerba mate or flavored variations. The world of mate unfolds before you with options that cater to all tastes and preferences.

TODO MATES

CUSHÉ MATES
1862, Bulnes St Palermo

Benefits of Mate

In recent years, interest in the nutritional and therapeutic benefits of mate has grown worldwide. Among its properties, it is considered a great antioxidant, source of vitamins and minerals. In addition, it helps to reduce bad cholesterol.

First of all, the antioxidant power is due to the high concentration of polyphenols. They help to improve the body's defenses and protect against cell damage.

Then, yerba mate contains B vitamins (B1 and B6), essential to regulate our energy and prevent fatigue and tiredness. In addition, yerba mate has minerals such as potassium and magnesium.

Finally, it contains xanthines, bioactive compounds that stimulate the central nervous system and promote concentration.

Variants of mate

BITTERr or SWEET mate, with any additives, at what water temperature, regular or flavored yerba mate, what about adding herbs? When it comes to preparing mate, tastes are as diverse as people.

The same variety also exists when it comes to choosing the container and the bombilla. Although the typical mate is made of gourd, there are also wooden, glass, plastic, ceramic, earthenware, and even cow's hooves and horns. Argentina is an expert in this field.

Tereré
It is a cold mate used to hydrate and alleviate the heat. It is typical of the Gran Chaco region (Paraguay, Bolivia and Argentina). It is served with cold water, ice and other herbs, such as mint leaves, lemon verbena and orange tree.

Some people prepare it with citrus juice. To drink it, instead of using the gourd, it is steeped in a glass with a larger capacity than the traditional mate. Recently, tereré was declared World Heritage.

Stewed Mate
It is a hot infusion, the equivalent of tea in many countries. It is prepared by adding spoonfuls of yerba mate and sugar to boiling water. It is left to steep and then filtered.

Here's a tip! Some people put the sugar and yerba mate in a pot on the stove to melt them. Then, add the hot water and that's it! It is ideal for very cold days.

The history of Argentine mate has its origins in the Guarani people, before the Spanish conquest and colonization. For the Guarani, yerba meant food, but also medicine. It was a gift from the gods.

Over time, it became a typical tradition of the Argentine culture that lasts until today. Synonymous with meeting and sharing, the mate ceremony accompanies us throughout the day and at all times.

In 2013 it was declared "national infusion" and, since 2015, it has a day dedicated to its celebration. It is a symbol of our national identity and of worldwide recognition.

I hope this information has been useful and that you enjoy some delicious mates! 🧉😊
Wow! That is great information. This site is awesome! I never tried mate before but I recently went to Montevideo for the weekend and EVERYONE drinks it there. I tried it and it's an acquired taste. The first time I didn't like it as it was too bitter but now I drink it with my local friends.

Hi monkey!

View attachment 404

TODO MATES

CUSHÉ MATES
1862, Bulnes St Palermo

Benefits of Mate

Variants of mate

Tereré

Stewed Mate

Great info! I agree with the health benefits. I started drinking mate and I never get sick now. I believe it's do to the daily mate drinking and of course my nightly glass of wine!

Thank you! This is a new concept for me as an American. I saw some YouTube videos to better understand it. It sounds like a social activity. But is getting germs and passing them around safe? I can't imagine during COVID or maybe even since that this is a popular habit of passing around a drink to drink together? The video I saw, they didn't have their own straws. They were passing it around a circle.

Hi monkey!

View attachment 404

TODO MATES

CUSHÉ MATES
1862, Bulnes St Palermo

Benefits of Mate

Variants of mate

Tereré

Stewed Mate

Thanks! I saw a video of a flea market where people were selling these. Now I know what they are. I was going to buy it as a decoration but now I might buy one to try to drink it too. Do they readily sell this mate tea in the supermarkets? It looks popular.

Back