Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer The Worst Winter in History

legend

I gotta say, this polar wave hitting Argentina is really something else. I’ve never experienced anything like it. We’ve got red alerts all over the place because of these crazy low temperatures. Can you believe it? Temps dropping below 0 degrees Celsius! It's the worst winter in history, no doubt about it.

This intense cold is disrupting everything, and it’s a real challenge just to get through the day. Make sure you stay warm and take care of yourselves and your families.

I love seeing how many people are taking this situation with a sense of humor. As always, Argentinians have a knack for adding a touch of humor to every problem or situation.

We've got a red alert for extreme cold, the most dangerous one, hitting parts of Buenos Aires province, La Pampa, San Luis, Mendoza, San Juan, Córdoba, Santa Fe, Entre Ríos, and Corrientes. After this weekend, experts say we'll see a slight rise in temperatures. I hope they're right because I'm holed up at home like a bear in hibernation! ❄️

1720631520443.jpeg

This cold snap is posing serious challenges for agricultural regions. Farmers are really concerned about the potential onset of a black frost, which could lead to significant economic losses from crop damage. In addition to the current intense cold, prolonged frost conditions could devastate crops, affecting food production and supply chains. Hopefully, the forecasters are right and we'll see a temperature increase next week.

The country is experiencing its coldest winter since 1907, the worst in 60 years. This cold wave is compounded by electricity issues, as high demand has led to frequent power outages, making it even harder to cope with the frigid temperatures.

The spring-like days didn’t last long. There’s a weather alert for extreme cold, rain, and strong winds in Buenos Aires. There could also be heavy frost across much of the region, and some areas might even see snow. Time to pull out the winter coats again!

According to a projection by meteorology experts, Buenos Aires is on the list of flood-prone areas due to global warming. Neighborhoods like Belgrano, Nuñez, Palermo, Recoleta, and Retiro could be affected. I just hope this prediction doesn't come true.

1725375569940.png

There have been periods when we get a ton of rain and there are some flooding issues in low lying areas. Hopefully we avoid any issues.

Nature gives us no respite: according to experts, 'black rain' will arrive in Argentina in a few days. This environmental phenomenon occurs when raindrops mix with ash, soot, or chemical compounds. In this case, it's due to wildfires in northern South America. The distinct feature of this rain is its dark color, either black or brown.

Back