Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Travel Thinking about taking a Polar Expedition. Some questions about going to Antarctica

Jeep

After living in Argentina for many years, I'm finally thinking of taking a polar expedition to Antarctica. My wife mentioned a few times it was a life long dream to do it.

I have a few questions if those of you that have done one, can let me know answers to my questions. I'd greatly appreciate it.

- When is the best time to go to Antarctica? Is there a high season or low season? Is there any time to totally avoid?

- How expensive is it to go on a cruise to Antarctica and how can I find the best deals? Is it better to book far ahead or book at the last minute for special deals?

- What should I pack to take with me?

¡Hola, Jeep!

We’ll be happy to answer your questions.

The Antarctic season goes roughly from late October to the end of March. The best time to go will depend on different considerations, and we always try to fit the needs of our passengers based on them —considerations—. October, November and early December use to be good month for those who want to buy in advance and aim to get an early bird discount. On the same page, if you happen to be near USH during this period, you can also try to get a last minute offer: they are abundant at the beginning of the season.

The peak of the season begins a little before holidays and last until the end of January. From then on, opportunities to find good deals increase drastically. In terms of wildlife, you can identify two main attractions among the diverse Antarctic fauna:
If you are into penguins, the early months show their colonies at its full, and from middle December to middle January you can delight yourself by observing the different kind of penguins with their chicks. As the summer goes by, the number of penguins start to decrease and the other star of the Withe Continent shows up in big numbers, the whale: late February and March. Weather wise there are not significant differences along the season.

When it comes to find a good deal to go to Antarctica, there are two possible approaches: buy the tickets early, or buy them at last minute. It’s important to know that early birds ticket, as much as last minute ones, are limited and released for certain period of time. The best shot is to contact us in other to be listed for these kind of deals.

An easy way to pack is, get what you would take to a sky trip (waterproof pants are essential). Dress in layers, sunglasses, sunblock, hats, gloves… most Antarctic operators provide a Parka to keep and boot —to borrow—.

Wow thanks @Wayfinders for taking your time to answer this, sounds really interesting! I have some questions too:

- Should I bring a power adapter?

- Being so remote, is there a doctor available or medical care on board?

- There are so many cruises and operators to choose from. How do I choose the right one for me?

- Are there visa requirements or passport requirements to go to Antarctica?

- I'm thinking of taking my father in law who always wanted to go. Is he too old? He is 78 years old. What about my nephew?

- Do I need to get travel insurance?

-Is there any Wifi on board?

- Are there any other important questions I should be asking myself?

Thank you in advance!

You are welcome Richard!

No, you don’t need a converter, but it is always useful to take a power adaptor.

Yes, there’s always a doctor in every voyage.

We offer dedicated and specialized service focus on each passenger. Depending on parameters such as age, budget, special interests, time… we’d look for the most fitting alternative.

Not visa requirements. Unless your itinerary touches Georgia Island or Malvinas —Falklands— (some itineraries include these destinations).

If the traveler is above 80, a certificate of good health could be required. In most cases kids under 10 years aren’t allowed on board.

Yes, travel insurance is necessary. If it covers cancellation trip, better. Highly recommended.

Most ships offer a wifi service —on pay—.

¡Hola, Jeep!

We’ll be happy to answer your questions.

The Antarctic season goes roughly from late October to the end of March. The best time to go will depend on different considerations, and we always try to fit the needs of our passengers based on them —considerations—. October, November and early December use to be good month for those who want to buy in advance and aim to get an early bird discount. On the same page, if you happen to be near USH during this period, you can also try to get a last minute offer: they are abundant at the beginning of the season.

The peak of the season begins a little before holidays and last until the end of January. From then on, opportunities to find good deals increase drastically. In terms of wildlife, you can identify two main attractions among the diverse Antarctic fauna:
If you are into penguins, the early months show their colonies at its full, and from middle December to middle January you can delight yourself by observing the different kind of penguins with their chicks. As the summer goes by, the number of penguins start to decrease and the other star of the Withe Continent shows up in big numbers, the whale: late February and March. Weather wise there are not significant differences along the season.

When it comes to find a good deal to go to Antarctica, there are two possible approaches: buy the tickets early, or buy them at last minute. It’s important to know that early birds ticket, as much as last minute ones, are limited and released for certain period of time. The best shot is to contact us in other to be listed for these kind of deals.

An easy way to pack is, get what you would take to a sky trip (waterproof pants are essential). Dress in layers, sunglasses, sunblock, hats, gloves… most Antarctic operators provide a Parka to keep and boot —to borrow—.
Thanks to you @Wayfinders for taking the time to post such great detailed information. I greatly appreciate it. I see you have an office in Buenos Aires. Could my wife and I come and talk to you in person?

Back