Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Thread: President Javier Milei - Decree of Necessity and Urgency (DNU) in real-time

I read very good analysis of Milei's failure today. Very scary to read the things. The utility bills will go up so much. This say 500% increase. I hope wrong! AMBA asking 10 # the price for bus.

In December our number gave 26%, and for December it was 25.5%. Today, with the mid-month data, the month-on-month rate is still above 25%, so we see a very similar number for January, around 25%. There are not many disagreements with other colleagues. And since February a sequence of price adjustments begins that are long overdue, and several have already started, such as gasoline , prepaid , moderately transportation , everything that is energy . Electricity and gas bills will increase starting in strong February, in three installments (February, March and April) that can accumulate a floor of 500% increase on average, we still don't know, but it will be a powerful increase if it is They want to reduce subsidies. That leaves a significant increase in prepaid bills; You have transport , where the buses in AMBA are asking for a multiplication by 10 of the price of the buses, so that also in transport if you want to reduce subsidies you are going to have to make a very strong fare adjustment , and what we are already seeing is that e salaries, the joint ventures, are adjusting for past inflation, that is, they do not want to lose with inflation, so that salaries also begin to travel at a very high speed. You have a lot of prices that are going to go well above inflation, so it is difficult to imagine that inflation will drop very dramatically. We are seeing that February is going to be a little lower than January and December, but I think it will be around 20% or 22%, something similar to March, but we must add Education, which makes a very strong jump seasonally. Our forecast is that inflation will be above 20% in March, and even in April.

What is the over/under how long Milei will last?

I hope the locals are patient and will wait this out. Hopefully in a few months inflation will slow down. But for sure it will be difficult for the locals the next 3-4 months if they increase everything like they are saying they will.

It doesn't sound like the Courts will let Milei do what he wants to do which will make things take much longer.

I am a little confused. I haven't been to Argentina yet but why are all these people angry? He seemed to easily win so a LOT of people voted for him. Milei seems like he is doing everything he said he was going to do so why are all these people confused? It doesn't seem they understand what voting for him meant. Am I wrong?

I am a little confused. I haven't been to Argentina yet but why are all these people angry? He seemed to easily win so a LOT of people voted for him. Milei seems like he is doing everything he said he was going to do so why are all these people confused? It doesn't seem they understand what voting for him meant. Am I wrong?

Lots of ignorant and poor that voted for him but all they heard was dollarization and got mesmerized by that stupid chainsaw. Sounds like the status quo will try to block the omnibus bill.

Last edited:
It irks me to the bone the international community is so infatuated with Milei. If they only knew the true suffering of Argentines!

The global business elite is infatuated with Javier Milei - Financial Times.​

And then of course you have people that are proposing Milei for a Nobel Prize for Economy. A Spanish economist proposed that Milei get the award.

This is getting WAY ahead of itself. He is less than 2 months in and hasn't proven out anything yet. Things still could end up disastrous. We need to wait and see.

This is getting WAY ahead of itself. He is less than 2 months in and hasn't proven out anything yet. Things still could end up disastrous. We need to wait and see.
I agree. We need to wait and see. I thought his interview with the WSJ was very good. The guy has been consistent from the beginning. I will give him that. But he does admit there is "No Plan B".

And then of course you have people that are proposing Milei for a Nobel Prize for Economy. A Spanish economist proposed that Milei get the award.

This is a bit crazy.

If inflation begins to fall after March/April we can revisit this one.

But right now its a little bit of an exaggeration to even suggest this.

This is a bit crazy.

Totally correct. It is funny people are celebrating but I think half the time journalists talk about Argentina or pretend to understand it, most of them probably have never set foot in the country or understand what is going on here.

This is a bit crazy.

Thank you for admitting this talk crazy! This guy break the law with his emergency decree!

“The emergency decree pushes the limits accepted by the Constitution, or violates it outright. Out of the 366 articles, half of them do not justify the exceptional circumstance which prevents the processing of a law,” said constitutional lawyer Félix Lonigro.

Back