Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Thread: President Javier Milei - Decree of Necessity and Urgency (DNU) in real-time

Thank you for admitting this talk crazy! This guy break the law with his emergency decree!

“The emergency decree pushes the limits accepted by the Constitution, or violates it outright. Out of the 366 articles, half of them do not justify the exceptional circumstance which prevents the processing of a law,” said constitutional lawyer Félix Lonigro.

@Avocado , The crazy talk is the talk about the Nobel prize.. everything else will just be fine once things get going!

As I expected, Argentina court rule Milei's labor rules unconstitutional.

As I expected, Argentina court rule Milei's labor rules unconstitutional.

I fear we're on a path towards the bleak intersection of despair. Milei seems incapable of championing reforms that could usher in lasting prosperity due to the courts not allowing him to make meaningful changes. Meanwhile, businesses exploit the public, driving prices sky-high, and it feels like we're hurtling towards a breaking point with no reprieve in sight.

I'm not positive at all about the future of Argentina. I'm not blaming either side. I just don't think if the courts will let him try to make changes that there will be any true benefit.

I fear we're on a path towards the bleak intersection of despair. Milei seems incapable of championing reforms that could usher in lasting prosperity due to the courts not allowing him to make meaningful changes. Meanwhile, businesses exploit the public, driving prices sky-high, and it feels like we're hurtling towards a breaking point with no reprieve in sight.

I'm not positive at all about the future of Argentina. I'm not blaming either side. I just don't think if the courts will let him try to make changes that there will be any true benefit.
I wouldn't throw the towel in just yet. It's very early. It feels longer but it hasn't even been 2 months yet.

Milei keeps getting more and more of the political caste he said he wanted to fight to stay away. Funny.

Milei keeps getting more and more of the political caste he said he wanted to fight to stay away. Funny.

You are right @Avocado - this is a little bit of a surprise and I wonder if there is anything we should expect from Mr Scioli in the short term.

H

Hard one to call, @Avocado . I Nthink more will be revealed once this week is over.
OK thanks. I will stay tuned. I wonder if more surprises coming. Now even my friends that voted for Milei admit that things are happening that are surprising them too. Many of them were NOT fans of Macri.

The left just can't allow the democratic process to work. More protests today.

Things are going ok. This change will take time but good news is that lawmakers have approved the reform bill.

It's not clear what exactly was voted on.

“Evidently, there’s no clarity about what was voted on,” Deputy Myriam Bregman of FIT-U told the Herald on the sidelines of the chamber. “It was a very quick reading of the articles, there wasn’t even enough time to check whether they’d excluded what they said they’d exclude or not.” She added that the changes had been discussed “a lot in private offices and very little on the house floor.”

If you gave Myriam Bregman a gold watch, she couldn't tell you what time it is.

But she would love the watch as she loves all the luxury goods that her salary allows her to buy. Defend the poor ....no defend Myriam !

Great article worth reading.

Javier Milei’s Freak Show Act Is a Taste of Things to Come​

Wow as if he didn't have better things to do in Argentina helping Argentines! Priorities, Priorities. Busy in Israel when he should focus on Argentina!

I agree there are plenty of things to worry about in Argentina. Visiting Israel ranks very low on most locals priorities for Argentina and it's President.

Let's get this thread back on topic. I am trying to understand today's development on the Omnibus Law and the DNU. I saw this thread on Twitter.

Here is the translation:

The process to enact a Law is:

1. The bill is presented in the originating chamber (in this case Chamber of Deputies). This happened with the Omnibus Law on 12/27/23
2. Join committees to debate it and finish writing it. It happened on 01/03/2024
3. The commissions issue opinions and refer them to the full chamber to consider it. It happened on 01/24/24.
4. The full Chamber votes on it in genera termsl. It was on 2/2/24.
5. The Chamber votes on it article by article by article in detail. It was today 02/06/24.
6. If it is approved and goes with a half-sanction to the review chamber.
7. Points 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 are repeated in the review chamber.
8. If both chambers approve the Bill then the President signs it into law.

We were at point 5. We return to point 2.

I agree there are plenty of things to worry about in Argentina. Visiting Israel ranks very low on most locals priorities for Argentina and it's President.

Let's get this thread back on topic. I am trying to understand today's development on the Omnibus Law and the DNU. I saw this thread on Twitter.

Here is the translation:

The process to enact a Law is:

1. The bill is presented in the originating chamber (in this case Chamber of Deputies). This happened with the Omnibus Law on 12/27/23
2. Join committees to debate it and finish writing it. It happened on 01/03/2024
3. The commissions issue opinions and refer them to the full chamber to consider it. It happened on 01/24/24.
4. The full Chamber votes on it in genera termsl. It was on 2/2/24.
5. The Chamber votes on it article by article by article in detail. It was today 02/06/24.
6. If it is approved and goes with a half-sanction to the review chamber.
7. Points 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 are repeated in the review chamber.
8. If both chambers approve the Bill then the President signs it into law.

We were at point 5. We return to point 2.

In step two, instead of writing the bill, they talk and try to agree on what should be in it. This agreement is important for the bill to have a chance of becoming a law.

Throughout the process of making this law, different groups who disagree with the government have been talking with them to try and find common ground. A lot of this talking happens outside of the official meetings.

They finally reached a general agreement, but there are still many things they don't agree on. The experts said the bill was okay, but they disagreed on some important points. Even with these disagreements, the bill passed and moved to the next stage.

Today, they couldn't agree on a few things, like how to share taxes with the provinces, selling government-owned things, and giving more power to someone named Milei. The government said they won't talk about it anymore and sent it back to be discussed more. This means the bill might not become a law after all.

Right now, some parts of the bill are being looked at by judges, but other parts, like changes to rental laws, are already happening. The government wants to take some parts of the bill, like changes to work rules, to the Congress to talk about and vote on.

Back