Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Thread: President Javier Milei - Decree of Necessity and Urgency (DNU) in real-time

Exactly what my girlfriend's parents and family says about them. It seems like the people that are hardworking want to really see Argentina change in the future. And those that are getting free hand outs are fighting tooth and nail to keep things the same.
To be fair it not fair to say all the people that are against Milei are not hardworkers or want change.

I don't understand why all these people are so fascinated with Javier Milei?!

I don't understand why all these people are so fascinated with Javier Milei?!

Like him or not, he's charismatic. Even those that don't agree with everything will support him with the energy and excitement he's garnered.

Like him or not, he's charismatic. Even those that don't agree with everything will support him with the energy and excitement he's garnered.
I agree. Part of why so many people outside of Argentina like him. Many in other countries want to elect someone to their countries like him.

I saw this on Sky News yesterday in Australia.

Key part of this article:

While Milei’s tough medicine enjoys support from Washington, inflation running at nearly 300 percent per year has destroyed household purchasing power, hurtling the economy into what is projected to be a 2.8 percent contraction this year, according to the IMF.

Key part of this article:

While Milei’s tough medicine enjoys support from Washington, inflation running at nearly 300 percent per year has destroyed household purchasing power, hurtling the economy into what is projected to be a 2.8 percent contraction this year, according to the IMF.

It seems like Argentina will owe the IMF forever! I am not a finance guru but it seems like to me no matter which President they are under they keep needing billions of dollars of loans to pay back the IMF.

I guess Milei is tough on crime! I just saw a guy that threw a bottle at him got 3.5 years in jail! Wow.

I guess Milei is tough on crime! I just saw a guy that threw a bottle at him got 3.5 years in jail! Wow.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

This is how they need to be. Very tough on crime with zero tolerance. Only after people see that actions have consequences will things improve.

On many polling that I am seeing they are asking people if there was another election how they would vote and Milei is pulling way ahead of the pack.

Yes, Milei's approval ratings still hover just over 50% so this seems accurate. I think even the most die hard Peronista will admit that had Massa won hyperinflation would be unbearable. But probably many will blame all of this on Milei still. I hold hope that people will have more patience. While it is good the inflation is getting tamed, I worry about all the businesses that won't make it through the rest of this year. Besides a few restaurants, I am noticing more empty now. This article points out the same thing.

Yes, Milei's approval ratings still hover just over 50% so this seems accurate. I think even the most die hard Peronista will admit that had Massa won hyperinflation would be unbearable. But probably many will blame all of this on Milei still. I hold hope that people will have more patience. While it is good the inflation is getting tamed, I worry about all the businesses that won't make it through the rest of this year. Besides a few restaurants, I am noticing more empty now. This article points out the same thing.

I wonder the same thing. I don't realistically see wages going much higher. Businesses will be struggling just to survive so I think many companies will be laying off employees later this year. There has been massive layoffs in the public sector and I think we will probably see staggering layoffs and people losing jobs in the private sector. So once inflation is much lower. So what? Then what happens? I can't see many scenarios where companies will be able to raise their prices. Some of my friends even say the unthinkable deflation.

As much as I keep reading articles online from mostly outside of Argentina saying how Milei is fixing everything, I don't think many understand how screwed up of a place Argentina really is.

I wonder the same thing. I don't realistically see wages going much higher. Businesses will be struggling just to survive so I think many companies will be laying off employees later this year. There has been massive layoffs in the public sector and I think we will probably see staggering layoffs and people losing jobs in the private sector. So once inflation is much lower. So what? Then what happens? I can't see many scenarios where companies will be able to raise their prices. Some of my friends even say the unthinkable deflation.

As much as I keep reading articles online from mostly outside of Argentina saying how Milei is fixing everything, I don't think many understand how screwed up of a place Argentina really is.

Definitely some rough times ahead. The days of super cheap prices are gone forever. We always had the strong blue dollar but not sure if we will see that again. People can say what they want about CFK but all of that corruption was good for expats with USD. Lots of bitching about cost of living increase but people need to get perspective. Cost of living is still multiple times lower here vs. States and many other places still. Sure some things are more expensive but it is few and far between. Look at the cost of beef and it is much lower than the steak I buy in the States.

It sounds like Milei's team already knows the May pact won't happen in May. Most likely get delayed.

Back