Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Thread: President Javier Milei - Decree of Necessity and Urgency (DNU) in real-time

President Javier Milei is just getting started! 160 more regulations that hinder business are coming next week!

President Milei is setting some record. Has there been ANY President anywhere in the world that has acted this quickly with so many changes? This is one for the history books.

President Javier Milei is just getting started! 160 more regulations that hinder business are coming next week!

Wow! Definitely Argentina has never seen anything like this. It will take time to see if they will work but let's face it, the alternative hasn't been working the past several decades.

Wow, how do you get all the news about Milei so quickly @earlyretirement ? Every time I come to this website, all the news about Milei is here. I never have to go to any other website. It's always here!

Wow, how do you get all the news about Milei so quickly @earlyretirement ? Every time I come to this website, all the news about Milei is here. I never have to go to any other website. It's always here!
I agree! I only need to come to ExpatsBA for all my Milei news! Ha. Well this is either going to end up really really good for Argentina or really really bad.

Since the dawn of this whole Milei shebang, we've been stuck in a wild world of crazy headlines and fake news perceptions like we're living in a reality show where the scriptwriters forgot to include substance. It's all Milei this, DNU that, and Omnibus something else. It's like trying to decipher a secret code, but instead of cracking it, we're all just playing a game of "Milei = Crazy/Evil, DNU = Bad, Omnibus = Unacceptable, Milei = Doomed to fail."

I get it, though. With 664 amendments in the Omnibus package and 366 in the DNU, it's a literary feast that's not exactly light bedtime reading. But hey, assuming people actually bothered to read the rest of the script, wouldn't it be a relief if the most shocking thing about it was judges in black robes? It's like saying, "Oh, look, they're wearing black. How scandalous!" Really, in any other civilized country, this would be the equivalent of a PG-rated plot twist.

Take today, for instance. I had a delightful chat with someone convinced that this whole DNU thingy was anti-LGBT. When I asked for the specific law that was supposedly anti-LGBT, it was like asking a cat to do calculus—blank stares and confusion. Instead, I got an earful about how Milei is the ultimate villain, and we must all join the "resist Milei" movement. Resist what? Beats me. Maybe the resistance is against his perfectly coiffed hair?

If only they knew about and wanted to discuss Article 348 and the potential, albeit indirect, consequences of shutting down INADI. We could have delved into the real issues, like what LGBT rights and liberties are genuinely at risk, and brainstormed some alternatives to INADI. You know, like private local and international NGOs, the judiciary—options galore! But no, according to this mindset, Milei voters are just a bunch of wide-eyed innocents, and it's totally democratic to resist democracy if the outcome doesn't tickle your fancy.

I agree! I only need to come to ExpatsBA for all my Milei news! Ha. Well this is either going to end up really really good for Argentina or really really bad.
Think of it this way @Frosted Flakes. However it is now, under Massa things would be much much worse. That's the reality of how it is and how people need to think at things. That is reality. Everything else is just noise.

Since the dawn of this whole Milei shebang, we've been stuck in a wild world of crazy headlines and fake news perceptions like we're living in a reality show where the scriptwriters forgot to include substance. It's all Milei this, DNU that, and Omnibus something else. It's like trying to decipher a secret code, but instead of cracking it, we're all just playing a game of "Milei = Crazy/Evil, DNU = Bad, Omnibus = Unacceptable, Milei = Doomed to fail."

I get it, though. With 664 amendments in the Omnibus package and 366 in the DNU, it's a literary feast that's not exactly light bedtime reading. But hey, assuming people actually bothered to read the rest of the script, wouldn't it be a relief if the most shocking thing about it was judges in black robes? It's like saying, "Oh, look, they're wearing black. How scandalous!" Really, in any other civilized country, this would be the equivalent of a PG-rated plot twist.

Take today, for instance. I had a delightful chat with someone convinced that this whole DNU thingy was anti-LGBT. When I asked for the specific law that was supposedly anti-LGBT, it was like asking a cat to do calculus—blank stares and confusion. Instead, I got an earful about how Milei is the ultimate villain, and we must all join the "resist Milei" movement. Resist what? Beats me. Maybe the resistance is against his perfectly coiffed hair?

If only they knew about and wanted to discuss Article 348 and the potential, albeit indirect, consequences of shutting down INADI. We could have delved into the real issues, like what LGBT rights and liberties are genuinely at risk, and brainstormed some alternatives to INADI. You know, like private local and international NGOs, the judiciary—options galore! But no, according to this mindset, Milei voters are just a bunch of wide-eyed innocents, and it's totally democratic to resist democracy if the outcome doesn't tickle your fancy.
How can you say there is nothing against LGBT. Look what they say about it.

If you asked any of the protestrs if they had read any of the potential legislation , the answer would be , " ,No Idea buddy, I am only here for the Choripan."

Fake news.

Diana Mondino, spokesperson for Milei and current Minister of Foreign Affairs, mentions her views on the same-sex marriage. My Spanish isn't that good but is she not saying she is ok with same sex marriages?

The LGBT supporters are always looking for new ways of feeling discriminated against - I really dont think the normal man or woman in the street gives a bloody damn.

If you asked any of the protestrs if they had read any of the potential legislation , the answer would be , " ,No Idea buddy, I am only here for the Choripan."
Exactly correct! None of my friends that aren't Milei supporters have even read any of the potential legislation of DNU's. "A friend of a friend of a brother's cousin told them how it's bad". Or they read something about black robes when that wasn't the fundamental change. Even smart people claim ignorance. It's sad.

Totally true. I know people that are understandably angry at the economic environment. But they want someone to blame in the here and now. I explain to them that the K's are to blame for what they did. Alberto also who was extremely destructive to Argentina. I explain how Milei has been in office a mere days but somehow they don't understand the concept. Some of my friends I thought were intelligent but now I just think they are ignorant and there is no going back. Each day they get worse. There is no reasoning with stupid.

The LGBT supporters are always looking for new ways of feeling discriminated against - I really dont think the normal man or woman in the street gives a bloody damn.
I agree. I don't care what a person's personal preference is. I believe Argentina is extremely tolerant of the LGBT community. My kids all grew up with it being ok. If my kid told me they were gay or a lesbian I would totally accept them. The LGBT community are very fortunate to grow up in today's era. Things were much much different when I grew up. They have nothing to complain about today. I'm proud of Argentina in this respect.

I agree. I don't care what a person's personal preference is. I believe Argentina is extremely tolerant of the LGBT community. My kids all grew up with it being ok. If my kid told me they were gay or a lesbian I would totally accept them. The LGBT community are very fortunate to grow up in today's era. Things were much much different when I grew up. They have nothing to complain about today. I'm proud of Argentina in this respect.
I've only been here about 7 weeks or so but love that Argentina is very open to the gay community. I always joke I'm a "flaming hot Cheeto". I'm gayer than gay. Flaming gay and everyone always is very nice to me. My assistant said I can even get married here if I want to another Latin "Cheeto" and that's great but ain't no way that is happening.

I agree LGBT community has NOTHING to complain about today. I was in the closet my entire childhood and college because society wouldn't accepted it then. But today it's a cakewalk!

Fake news.

Diana Mondino, spokesperson for Milei and current Minister of Foreign Affairs, mentions her views on the same-sex marriage. My Spanish isn't that good but is she not saying she is ok with same sex marriages?

So, like, what are the real deal policies or changes she or her crew are putting forward on this topic?

Honestly, I'm not too bothered about what someone thinks personally (or their kinda weird way of saying things), as long as they don't try to push it on me (or anyone else) and it doesn't mess with me (or anyone else). Opinions are cool, being cool with each other is cooler, but policies are a whole other game.

The interview seemed to start ok but did she start talking about lice on someone's head?

Thank you all for sharing updates on all the changes. I heard about all of the 300+ changes as President Milei is in the news quite a bit even in the USA. It's helpful to have one place where ALL the updates about the President are. I will stop back daily to see. I heard more changes are coming next week. I don't know Argentina enough to know if these are good or bad for the country.

I went to the protests but I didn't eat any choripan. But I admit I didn't read all the DNU in detail. I just know Milei is an evil man.
@Avocado , can you tell me how he is evil? I am not a huge personal fan, but I absolutely love the way he is challenging the corrupt eStablishment in this crazy country that I love. He may be bipolar , he may be crazy, but is he evil?

@Avocado , can you tell me how he is evil? I am not a huge personal fan, but I absolutely love the way he is challenging the corrupt eStablishment in this crazy country that I love. He may be bipolar , he may be crazy, but is he evil?
He is trying to shut down many institutions and even some hospitals that help people. He is raising costs for healthcare too rapidly. You can't tell me that Massa would raise healthcare 40% in one month! He would have done it slowly like 10% a month.

Yes he is bipolar. Yes he is crazy and yes he is evil. Making too many sharp increases for everyday man or woman on the street so they can't live. I predict violence and more crime. @GlasgowJohn you think crime will be better or worse in 6 months? Let's see. I hope I am wrong.

You expats won't have fun watching "Rome burn down". You get to watch a history lesson in real time watching Milei destroy a wonderful country. Sure Argentina had its problems but we got by and people still could go to their jobs and have food on the table. You will see that change soon.
@Avocado, With all due respect, the country was destroyed by the last 20 years of government - 16 years of Kirchnerismo and 4 years of mistakes from Macri. Milei has been running the show for two weeks. He has taken some measures to stop the disaster caused by CFK, Alberto and Massa.

Is he to blame for the economic disater he has inherited? Please be honest with yourself!

Back