Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Tickets for the Independiente vs Racing match on February 25 or General Soccer Game Advice?

Are these tours worth it? I thought it would be easier and cheaper to go to a soccer match in Argentina! I heard it was a poor country and surprised tickets cost so much.

It's all a bit overwhelming and expensive and doesn't feel authentic at all. Feels like a touristy type thing going to a game.

Are these tours worth it? I thought it would be easier and cheaper to go to a soccer match in Argentina! I heard it was a poor country and surprised tickets cost so much.

It's all a bit overwhelming and expensive and doesn't feel authentic at all. Feels like a touristy type thing going to a game.
You're right it's not that easy for some popular matches but there are a lot of matches you can easily get tickets for too.

• There are ~10 Division 1 teams within a 40-minute drive from the Capital.
  • For most teams except Boca, River Independiente, and Racing you can buy tickets in person, either game day or a day or 2 before.
  • Some but not many sell tickets online (e.g. Velez). Most teams have a WhatsApp that you can ask questions to a live agent.
  • Search "Name of your Favorite Soccer team" "Entradas" on Google and often you'll be directed to the right place. Tickets go on sale 4-10 days before a match and never before.
  • When you buy tickets, the "Popular" is where the hardcore fans stand/sing/dance all game. Tickets are not allocated, for the biggest teams you have to arrive 2 hours early to get a decent location and well good luck if you need the bathroom. In general, if you are claustrophobic, don't like the smell of smoke, or don't want to have a drunk (or worse) Argentinian man jumping and hugging you next to you, then I would avoid this section.
  • People will tell you it is very dangerous, but IMO it is safe if you don't draw attention to yourself. Suggestions:
    • Make sure you wear team colors - you can pick up street versions for very cheap outside
    • By all means, take a few photos and just a few videos but don't use your phone otherwise too much if it's expensive
    • If you buy a ticket not in the Popular section (along the sidelines + more expensive) then it is quite a relaxed atmosphere and you are very unlikely to encounter any problems, even if you don't follow the two points I made above.
    • Finally (and no offense to the Americans) but try to be quiet and not make too much of a scene and keep your voice down which is easy I think for Brits/Europeans but more difficult for Americans who tend to be louder.
  • I would recommend the following:
    • For a cost effective and easy experience go to: Platense, Argentinos Juniors or Velez. Nearby to CABA and tickets are straightforward
    • For a cost effective but maybe more challenging experience: Get a membership at SomosRiver.com or Independiente and buy tickets through there
    • For a non-cost effective and easy experience: Find a tout willing to sell you a Boca or River ticket for ~$40-80. Ideally pay once inside
  • Make sure you bring your passport with you as they require it. I know that sounds strange and maybe a little dangerous but just bring a fanny pack or guard it well.

You're right it's not that easy for some popular matches but there are a lot of matches you can easily get tickets for too.

• For most teams except Boca, River Independiente, and Racing you can buy tickets in person, either game day or a day or 2 before.
  • Some but not many sell tickets online (e.g. Velez). Most teams have a WhatsApp that you can ask questions to a live agent.
  • Search "Name of your Favorite Soccer team" "Entradas" on Google and often you'll be directed to the right place. Tickets go on sale 4-10 days before a match and never before.
  • When you buy tickets, the "Popular" is where the hardcore fans stand/sing/dance all game. Tickets are not allocated, for the biggest teams you have to arrive 2 hours early to get a decent location and well good luck if you need the bathroom. In general, if you are claustrophobic, don't like the smell of smoke, or don't want to have a drunk (or worse) Argentinian man jumping and hugging you next to you, then I would avoid this section.
  • People will tell you it is very dangerous, but IMO it is safe if you don't draw attention to yourself. Suggestions:
    • Make sure you wear team colors - you can pick up street versions for very cheap outside
    • By all means, take a few photos and just a few videos but don't use your phone otherwise too much if it's expensive
    • If you buy a ticket not in the Popular section (along the sidelines + more expensive) then it is quite a relaxed atmosphere and you are very unlikely to encounter any problems, even if you don't follow the two points I made above.
    • Finally (and no offense to the Americans) but try to be quiet and not make too much of a scene and keep your voice down which is easy I think for Brits/Europeans but more difficult for Americans who tend to be louder.
    • For a cost effective and easy experience go to: Platense, Argentinos Juniors or Velez. Nearby to CABA and tickets are straightforward
    • For a cost effective but maybe more challenging experience: Get a membership at SomosRiver.com or Independiente and buy tickets through there
    • For a non-cost effective and easy experience: Find a tout willing to sell you a Boca or River ticket for ~$40-80. Ideally pay once inside
  • Make sure you bring your passport with you as they require it. I know that sounds strange and maybe a little dangerous but just bring a fanny pack or guard it well.
Top notch advice!

Good to see sensible advice to see football games in Buenso Aires.

If you fancy an even truer expericne there are some decent second division games available in the BSAS conurnation.

Of the Big 4 , River Plate has the most suer freindly page and you can get tickets online if the opponent is not one of thebigger teams.

remember , current legislation only allows home fans to attend games. So dont dress in the clours ofn the away team. You will not get in the stadium.

If you fancy an even truer expericne there are some decent second division games available in the BSAS conurnation.

Of the Big 4 , River Plate has the most suer freindly page and you can get tickets online if the opponent is not one of thebigger teams.

remember , current legislation only allows home fans to attend games. So dont dress in the clours ofn the away team. You will not get in the stadium.
Wow I didn't know that there is legislation to only allow home fans to attend games! Crazy.

I know a guy that knows a guy that does soccer tours. I hear he is very good and I heard good things.

I agree! It's good to see great info on soccer. I'm too cheap of a bastard to watch the popular teams. There are a lot of second-tier B and C league teams inside Buenos Aires that probably are just as fun to watch at a fraction of the prices. I'm too cheap of a bastard to watch those too! So it's usually just watching on TV which is at my price comfort level! FREE!

I know a guy that knows a guy that does soccer tours. I hear he is very good and I heard good things.

Yip, Pibe de Barrio is probably the best of the organized tours . You pay more but the guy knows his stuff and the best way to travel to each place. Using him avoids all the probems about how do I get there and what door do i use?

Yip, Pibe de Barrio is probably the best of the organized tours . You pay more but the guy knows his stuff and the best way to travel to each place. Using him avoids all the probems about how do I get there and what door do i use?
I agree it is all kind of confusing. The first time I went to a soccer match my friend said I would get killed wearing the wrong jersey color! Very confusing so this service would have really helped!

Back