Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Tomorrow, May 9th, the country will come to a standstill - National strike

The banks are also joining the strike, so that's something to consider.

Subway fares are scheduled to jump by 359% in May, going from AR$125 (US$0.13 at the official rate, US$0.11 at the MEP rate) to AR$574 (US$0.63/0.53). There will be two other price increases next month, taking ticket prices to AR$667 (US$0.74/0.62) and $AR757 (US$0.84/0.70) in June.

Train fares jumped by 54% on Monday, with prices now ranking between AR$200-320 (US$0.22/0.18-US$0.35/0.29) depending on the distance for passengers who have their SUBE cards registered under their name. Those who don’t have registered their SUBE cards will have to pay AR$400-640 (US$0.44/0.37-US$0.71/0.59) depending on the distance. To register your SUBE, you need a valid Argentine DNI. In case you are a foreigner and don’t have a DNI, you can go to a SUBE service center with your passport or a valid ID from your home country.

Ouch. These types of increases are too painful for people making so little. I agree there needs to be gradual increases but the lower classes are getting killed.

Question. I heard that many employees live outside of the city so when there are strikes like this how do they get into work into the city when there is no transportation?

Question. I heard that many employees live outside of the city so when there are strikes like this how do they get into work into the city when there is no transportation?
I heard when this happens many of them can't go into work so this further disrupts the country. Not much productivity these days unless they can work from home.

Usually there are a few buses or metros that are limited so people can get to work and get home. Here you can see even with this big strike they had some coverage.

Usually there are a few buses or metros that are limited so people can get to work and get home. Here you can see even with this big strike they had some coverage.

Here is a list of the ones that are running today.

Here is a list of the ones that are running today.

But I saw on social media that the bus drivers that DO want to work are being threatened by those striking. Sound like thugs to me.

The majority can't go because they lack transportation options, as there's no public transport available. Some try using Uber, Didi, or Remis and attempt to pool resources to share the cost. Most try to attend because if they miss work, they lose their "attendance bonus," (Presentismo) which translates to a 20% deduction from their salaries. This significantly impacts the workers' wallets.

The majority can't go because they lack transportation options, as there's no public transport available. Some try using Uber, Didi, or Remis and attempt to pool resources to share the cost. Most try to attend because if they miss work, they lose their "attendance bonus," (Presentismo) which translates to a 20% deduction from their salaries. This significantly impacts the workers' wallets.
Very sad indeed. Even many that want to work cannot.

Very sad indeed. Even many that want to work cannot.
Exactly! It's an extortionate strike because most people want to go to their jobs and can't.

Strike today should be an eye opener how angry people are. City very quiet today.

There were many things open. These articles make it sound like EVERYTHING was closed. All the supermarkets were open today that I walked past. Taxis, ubers, and even many buses were running fine today. Some of these articles are totally misleading.

There were many things open. These articles make it sound like EVERYTHING was closed. All the supermarkets were open today that I walked past. Taxis, ubers, and even many buses were running fine today. Some of these articles are totally misleading.
Not totally true ... Hospital Aleman was working fine. All the supermarkets were open / all the shopping centers were open.
Yep. Everything seemed normal to me. Restaurants and cafes were all open that I went to. Banks seemed to be closed but life was fairly normal.

Back