Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Train accident on San Martin line today - Derailed in Palermo

Yes, I forget which government official recently said that the railway system hasn't received proper maintenance in 40 years.
Scary. I never use the trains there but so many do to commute to work. Having lived in Palermo I can walk or take bus/taxi almost everywhere. I feel fortunate now not to have to take the trains. I saw the other thread about no working signals. Scary!

Amazing they are trying to blame Milei for this. Everything is politicized in this country.

Amazing they are trying to blame Milei for this. Everything is politicized in this country.

Just like in the States, Wally.

Yeah, isn't that something? That has been happening in the US for such a long time, though. In the Boston area it got really bad back in the late 2000s. That and car thefts and break-ins.
True. My friend lives in Denver and her car has gotten stolen 3 times last year! 3 times! Same model car as this in the article.

It is not just Argentina where thieves are stealing cables for the copper. Tons of Tesla superchargers also have thieves cutting the cables for the copper.

Yes this is a big problem in California. We have a lot of thieves stealing catalytic converters. You can't park many cars outside at night. The thieves steal them very quickly. People mistakenly think everything is peachy keen in the States but that is far from the case in many areas.

Yes this is a big problem in California. We have a lot of thieves stealing catalytic converters. You can't park many cars outside at night. The thieves steal them very quickly. People mistakenly think everything is peachy keen in the States but that is far from the case in many areas.
And the crazy thing is it is not just in poor areas. They are doing this even in wealthier neighborhoods with cars on the street. So quick!

Particularly the catalytic converter theft has been absolutely crazy in the past five or six years all over the US.
Funny we were posting at the same time. I just saw your post and I just posted at the same time about this theft. I had mine stolen during the middle of the day while I was eating lunch. It happens so quick even if someone calls the police by the time they get there, it's all done. People are stealing them in cars that are stolen so it doesn't matter if you get the license plate of the cars stealing them. I don't think the thieves are even scared of getting caught.

I know, I left SoCal two years ago. Even during the pandemic it was awful. The thieves had gotten so good at it that they'd steal a catalytic converter in less than a minute, in daylight!
Yes! Someone was filming while mine got stolen. They called 911 but the thieves pulled up in a stolen truck with an electric hacksaw. In less than 3 minutes they were gone.

We always parked our cars in our garage but it got so bad at one point in the area between Irvine and Oceanside that I was afraid of driving from home to the plazas because they were stealing the cc right in the parking lots.

We asked the dealership if they could secure the cc in our cars, they told us that they didn't do that kind of work. We called mechanic shops and were told that they couldn't take any more work because they were extremely busy replacing the darn things. And if you had your cc stolen it would take weeks to get it replaced. It was unbelievable.
Amazing how quickly they can steal them. In about 1 minute as you said.

Back