Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Andriu23

Hello, I'll be in Buenos Aires for a few days. What's the most efficient and affordable method of transportation that ensures safety? Specifically, if I need to move from one area of the city to another, what would you recommend?

The subway (subte) is a breeze to figure out, but buses can be a bit tricky. Luckily, Google Maps has your back for finding your way from point A to B. There's also this cool website called "cómo llego" that helps.

"Como llego" link: https://mapa.buenosaires.gob.ar/comollego/?lat=-34.620000&lng=-58.440000&zl=12&modo=transporte

Grab yourself a SUBE card from a kiosk or a subway station, load it up with some pesos, and you're good to roll with public transport.

Oh, and taxis are everywhere and won't break the bank either.

We opted for Uber, paying in cash, for the majority of our travels in Buenos Aires.
The SUBTE wasn't in our plans, and we only hopped on buses four times.
On our last day, we handed the SUBE Card and 5000 pesos to the maid. Surprisingly, the card still had 1000 pesos left.
Uber rides were ridiculously affordable, typically ranging from $1.50 to $2, and we often tipped 30%.
Because the rides were so budget-friendly, we decided there was an added perk to staying "above the ground" – it gave us a better view of our surroundings.
Hello, I'll be in Buenos Aires for a few days. What's the most efficient and affordable method of transportation that ensures safety? Specifically, if I need to move from one area of the city to another, what would you recommend?

While I was there, I relied on the metro or bus, hoofing it on foot.

I can't vouch for what's cheap or the safest option – my approach is pretty universal wherever I go. Cheap is subjective, right? As for safety, well, I've always made it home "safe" from my travels so far. Some folks never even make it off the plane – a different spin on "safe."

Got a smartphone? If so, look into transit apps that might be handy. What do you use back home? Check if it works in different parts of the world. If it's a no-go outside your hometown, you know the drill, right? But hey, whatever app you choose, give it a spin at home first to get the hang of it. That way, you won't find yourself in the midst of BA, scrambling to figure it out in a rush.

I'm testing out Moovit, but there are other options. Google Maps is in my toolbox too, though not so much for transit – it's a bit tricky with buses and trams. Works like a charm for metros since the lines usually stand out. For any metro system, I download a PDF map to my phone for quick access. Also, consider staying near a metro station – it makes life easier. Best of luck!

Getting around on the SUBTE is a blast it's short for subterranean, and it's super user-friendly. Grab yourself a SUBE card, good for buses and the subway, and start your exploration. The card sets you back about £2 initially, then just load it up at any kiosko, which are basically everywhere. Just tap your card as you enter the station, follow the maps all around, and listen out for announcements about the next stop. A ride costs around 8 English pennies currently, factoring in the blue dollar rate. It's way quicker than battling through traffic, and honestly, it's a hoot navigating the system. At night, for safety, we opt for UBER, but during the day, it's all about public transport.

Just a heads up, our priciest Uber journey set us back $11 USD, cruising from Recoleta to EZE. In some other places, that same trip could easily hit $50-$75.

Running low on pesos, we handed our driver a $20 USD bill, and he was over the moon nearly doubled his fare!

Another perk with Uber: the drivers are a goldmine of helpful info, and that nugget of wisdom often comes in handy later on.

Back