Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports Trip Report: Buenos Aires (Oct 5-11, 2023)

Allen W

I returned from a week in Buenos Aires and wanted to share some thoughts on my travel experience. Overall, if you're contemplating BA, just go - it's wonderful! We are a Canadian couple in our mid-50s and I wanted to share some thoughts on the airport/safety/money as these were areas I researched before the trip. Our experience may not be your experience but this is was happened on our trip.

AIRPORT ARRIVAL: Flew from Canada (YVR) to BA (EZE). We arrived Thursday morning at about 10:15 am and there were no lines in customs. It took us roughly 5 minutes to clear customs and 10 minutes total to exit the airport. Customs asked the hotel we were staying at then scanned our passport and took our photo and thumbprint. You exit into an area to pick up bags from carousels but we didn't check any bags. We continued to the final check before leaving the secured area -- there's a small screening section where you run your bags through another machine. There were one or two uniformed people in the area but it seemed largely self-service. We ran our bags through without any assistance and exited - easy!

AIRPORT DEPARTURE: The airport seems newly renovated and quite modern (ie older trip reports speak to something much different). We arrived at 4pm for an evening flight. We proceeded to security, and again, no lines at all. English isn't spoken but a few gestures are all you need (ie remove your belt etc). You then proceed to another area where you speak to an agent. They scan your passport, and take your photo and thumbprint. That's it - maybe 5-10 minutes total. Delta listed Terminal C as our departure gate but the alphabet terminal naming didn't seem to apply to the updated airport -- it's all one long set of gates in one terminal. You exit security at gate 12 (1-11 are to your left, 13-28+ are to your right). It's a 10-minute walk from one end to the other. Lots of restaurants/food/shops. We went to the Centurion Lounge and they had lots of seating.

HOTEL TRANSFER: We opted to use Welcome Pickups as we didn't want any surprises. Although you pay a premium over regular taxis, we appreciate having a professional service to rely on. When our last flight was delayed two hours, I texted the driver and he responded to say he would move back our pickup time. He showed up on time to greet us -- even gave us a quick Spanish lesson and travel tips on our ~40m drive to Recoleta. We used the same service to return and it was on time.

HOTEL/Neighborhood/Safety: We stayed at Palladio Hotel on the edge of Recoleta and loved it. When booking, they reference the USD price estimate and then convert it to CAD for us. It was odd to know what we could pay. I recommend confirming with your hotel how they will charge you before you arrive. The good news is that the hotel charged in ARS. Price quoted at CAD 3k for 6 nights with breakfast included. After the currency adjustment by our credit card, it was about CAD 1,400 (note: it took AMEX a full week to refund the difference on our credit card while VISA seemed to charge at the lower rate automatically). We walked to most destinations and never felt unsafe. Police and pseudo-security/safety folks are stationed every few blocks. We walked day/night without issue. From our hotel to the Cemetery/heart of Recoleta was 20m and to Palermo/Don Julio about 45m and Puerto Madero about 40m. We took 1 taxi to San Telmo market because my feet hurt and it was 2,500 ARS w/small tip.

MONEY: Our bank didn't exchange pesos but we found a currency exchange in Vancouver that did. The rate isn't great but we wanted some cash in our pockets when landing. We converted $100 CAD (and got 25,000 pesos). I set up the Western Union app before I left and found this a great/safe way to get money. I transferred CAD 100 and received 65,000 pesos. Take a bag with you ... it's stacks of bills. The best Pago Facil to pick up money was in Montevideo near Callao - it's a small shop in the middle of the block (not the big one on the corner). The line is much smaller. Write down your money pickup/transfer code, name, address while in Argentina (hotel), and your cell phone number. Pass it to the agent. Ours was so surprised that we had all the info written down and greatly appreciated it. We had a hard time spending all the paper money and forced ourselves to use it on the final day. Most casual meals ran about 14-16,000 ARS with drinks. Credit cards are so easy to use at almost every place we go to. We found cash best for smaller businesses/cafes. Oh, and if you use a credit card, make sure you know your PIN. Most credit card machines require it to be entered.

FOOD: Don Julio. Lots of nice steak and it's lovely BUT it's not a typical restaurant experience. If you don't get a reservation, don't stress and don't regret it. It feels like a theme park and there's a very unwritten process to everything (felt highly choreographed to move people through tables in less than 2 hours). It's not a truly leisurely dinner IMHO. We had a reservation for the 7 pm time slot. You line up down the block and when they are ready they sit one table after another.

Empanadas are everywhere and are so good. I didn't realize the Italian influence in the city and there is also gelato and pizza everywhere too! Cafes around every corner make it easy to grab a bite/rest wherever you are. Beef is dominant in the cuisine but you can find seafood if you hunt around. Sanjuanino restaurant was a nice low-frills/inexpensive option for a casual dinner. The staff was amazing and the milanesa and empanadas were great. My husband loved the Modongo (tripe stew). Offal is more common here and I'll admit I enjoyed grilled sweet breads and blood sausage at another restaurant.

NOTES: The parks are nice to grab a shady bench on a hot day/evening. Parque Vicente Lopez is such a gem at night. Police are stationed in the park so it's safe. Families/children were there late into the evening. We sat under the big tree and people-watched. Eco-Parque is also a fun free place to visit - you'll see LOTS of capybaras and peacocks roaming around. San Telmo market is nice to visit and makes for a leisurely walk up the street to Plaza de Mayo (Casa Rosada and other official buildings). We then walked toward the obelisk. For shopping, the Galireas Pacifico mall Instagram worthy but it's in a less interesting area. Florida street runs along this area which is littered with people saying 'cambio' to exchange your money. Nothing to see. The more 'local' mall was Alto Palermo Mall which had nice cafes inside to rest/relax as well. The national museum Bellas Artes was great if you have a couple of hours - lots of great local/world art on display.

Wow! What a great trip report. Thanks for taking the time to share all those details. This is what this forum is all about. I'm thrilled that you had a great time in one of my favorite cities in the world. Buenos Aires is really a special place.

Thank you for taking the time to post such detailed information! I am leaving for Buenos Aires on November 1 for a month-long stay in Buenos Aires. I am going to stay close to where you were staying.

You were there in October. I heard that's a great time for the weather. How was it? I keep checking the weather forecast to see if it will rain. I know it can change but I'm worried as it shows rain every day. Is it like a rainy day here in Vancouver in the Spring? Or tropical pouring and then back to great weather? I am having a difficult time deciding what to pack. Thanks again.

Amazing report full of details. You mentioned in your trip report that you had reservations at Don Julio. How did you make the reservation? I tried using their website but I couldn't get it to work. I don't speak Spanish so I can't call. Any advice?

We got very lucky with the weather. It was sunny and 23-26 degrees C the entire week. However on our last day it dropped to 18C. I think it's warming up but still could be sporadic. I suggest a jacket in case you need it.

Regarding Don Julio, we tried to make reservations for 2 months prior to arriving and there were no openings. About two or three weeks from departure we checked again and they had an online waitlist. About a week prior to departure they emailed us and said we had a 7 PM reservation!

I have a question regarding phone safety. Is it dangerous to carry around your iPhone? Lonely Planet and other guides warn about flashing around a new iPhone. They make it sound as if you will get your phone stolen from your hands the moment you use it. And they also warn against looking too much like a tourist.

So what's the secret to getting around the streets of Buenos Aires without a smartphone? And if you don't use your iPhone then you won't be able to use Google Maps, etc. Is pickpocketing prevalent there? Do women have problems with their purses? Is it better to carry around a backpack or cross-body bag. Or should I use a money belt under your clothes? Maybe I'm over worrying but I appreciated your detailed post and you come across as trustworthy.

Regarding iPhone safety -- I also read a lot about safety before we left. I took a money belt etc. In reality, I never used the money belt. I kept my iPhone in my front pocket and took it out when needed.

To be honest, the streets are full of people using their iPhones (locals and tourists). I think you need to be smart about it ... don't leave it on your table when dining out. If you're using it on the sidewalk, step out of the way or into a store to use it if feels unsafe. My impression is that most crime is petty and opportunistic ... if you make it easy to grab, someone might.

As for bags, many people wore bum bags or wore their purses in front of their bodies. I also saw lots of people lugging big expensive bags that could easily be snatched. I felt safe that I took some precautions (ie they'll rob the people making it easy before they bother me). The only time I felt awkward about carrying anything was when I did currency pickup at Western Union and $100 CAD turned into several stacks of pesos and I hadn't brought a bag. I stuffed the stacks of bills into my front pockets, put my hands in my pockets, and walked quickly back to the hotel!

I'm sure pickpocketing happens and is on par with any large city anywhere (ie I saw people get robbed on a busy sidewalk in Spain before). A local warned me about pickpocketing as well so I believe it happens. My gut feeling is that it's when you're in crowded areas (ie San Telmo market or dodgier areas like La Boca). Side note - we didn't go to La Boca as it didn't appeal to us. Our local taxi driver said to go between Noon and leave by 2 pm, and don't go off from the main few blocks. Hope this helps! Overall, don't stress - take some precautions and you'll be just fine!

This is ALL great advice. Buenos Aires is a large metropolitan city. There is crime in any major city around the world. You just have to be careful and be aware. You have to be really careful on the subways. I lived in Buenos Aires for 9 years and been going for 21+ years but I've never used the subway. That's because taxis are everywhere and now Ubers and they are very cheap. The subways have professional thieves. I've had many employees that had their cellphone stolen there.

I've never had issues and I always have the latest iPhone. Just be aware and don't leave it on tables.

I worried for nothing! I've been here the past few weeks and have a new iPhone 15 Pro Max and NO issues at all. I use it daily on the streets and use Google Maps, taking photos and it's a NONE issue. I LOVE Buenos Aires. This is the best city I've ever been to.

My problem is I'm running out of time. I still have so much I want to see and do. The women are so beautiful here. That sexy blend of European influence. I'm almost breaking my neck to look at beautiful girls walking everywhere.

I'm pushing myself to learn Spanish now.

I worried for nothing! I've been here the past few weeks and have a new iPhone 15 Pro Max and NO issues at all. I use it daily on the streets and use Google Maps, taking photos and it's a NONE issue. I LOVE Buenos Aires. This is the best city I've ever been to.

My problem is I'm running out of time. I still have so much I want to see and do. The women are so beautiful here. That sexy blend of European influence. I'm almost breaking my neck to look at beautiful girls walking everywhere.

I'm pushing myself to learn Spanish now.
Yes NO worries at all with iphones in Buenos Aires. I went with my kids this summer for 2 months and all of my family has iphones and my 15 year old and 14 year old didn't have any issues. They are accustomed to traveling around the world (We spend 100+ days traveling around the world each year).

Definitely get fluent ASAP. Study. It will elevate your experience in Latin America. It's the #1 most important thing to taking your trips to another level.

Thank you for sharing your report. I feel lucky to be from Buenos Aires. I just wish the economy would improve. Almost all my friends are living in Spain. I have my Spanish passport and I will most likely leave soon if things don't improve. I love my country and there is no city like Buenos Aires. Plus my family is all in Buenos Aires.

Fantastic! I think I'm most excited about the wonderful food that I read about. I saw some reviews and it seems very very affordable right now.

Back