Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Trying to learn the food menu

Makira

My husband and I are planning a trip through South America in May and June of this year. We don't speak Spanish or Portuguese. We'll start with a few days in Santiago, then spend 10 days in Buenos Aires before heading to Iguazu, Rio, the Galapagos, Quito, and finally Puerto Vallarta. I know there will be many regional differences, but I want to avoid not understanding menus in restaurants or even at street kiosks. I've used Google Translate before when needed, but I'd prefer to have an understanding of dishes and ingredients beforehand. Can anyone recommend a website that provides this information? Any help would be appreciated.

Here are some food vocabulary tips that were useful for us during our initial visits to Argentina: I'm not certain about Australian meat preferences, but in Argentina, steak is often cooked well-done compared to the US, where it's more commonly prepared medium/rare or rare.

Here’s a quick guide to parrilla vocabulary:

English Español Pronunciation

Barbecue Asado ah-SAH-doh

Blood sausage = Morcilla more-SEE-sha

Chicken = Pollo POY-show

Chop Chuleta Choo-LAY-tah

Skirt steak Entraña en-TRAH-nya

Flank steak Vacio vah-SEE-oh

Intestine Chinchulín cheen-CHOO-leen

Kid (Goat) Chivito Chee-vee-toh

Kidneys Riñones rin-YON-ays

Lamb Cordero cor-DER-oh

Liver Hígado ee-GAH-doh

Pork Cerdo SER-doh

Rabbit Conejo cone-AYE-hoe

Rack of ribs Tira de asado TEE-rah day ah-SAH-doh

Rib steak Bife de costilla BEE-fay day koh-STEE-sha

Sausage sandwich Choripán cho-REE-pahn

Sirloin steak Bife de chorizo BEE-fay day chor-EE-zoh

LOMITO = It's a typical lunchtime steak, so thinly sliced that Argentines feel it needs a protective layer of ham and cheese before being served.

The steak cuts in Buenos Aires differ from those in the USA. Bife de lomo is the prime cut, but you'll also encounter bife de chorizo (slightly chewier and more flavorful) and ojo de bife (rib eye) my favorite!.

Bon appétit!

Welcome!

If you prefer, you can request a menu in English.

Additionally, you can use "Google Translate" for real-time translation of text/words. If you're not familiar with this feature, it might be worth trying out. It can even translate text/words in a photo as long as it's not too small.

Best of luck!

Welcome!

If you prefer, you can request a menu in English.

Additionally, you can use "Google Translate" for real-time translation of text/words. If you're not familiar with this feature, it might be worth trying out. It can even translate text/words in a photo as long as it's not too small.

Best of luck!
This isn't that good of info as only the really touristy spots will have a menu in English too. I'd say most restaurants do NOT have English menus but you can use Google Translate which works good enough for me.

Here are some food vocabulary tips that were useful for us during our initial visits to Argentina: I'm not certain about Australian meat preferences, but in Argentina, steak is often cooked well-done compared to the US, where it's more commonly prepared medium/rare or rare.

Here’s a quick guide to parrilla vocabulary:

English Español Pronunciation

Barbecue Asado ah-SAH-doh

Blood sausage = Morcilla more-SEE-sha

Chicken = Pollo POY-show

Chop Chuleta Choo-LAY-tah

Skirt steak Entraña en-TRAH-nya

Flank steak Vacio vah-SEE-oh

Intestine Chinchulín cheen-CHOO-leen

Kid (Goat) Chivito Chee-vee-toh

Kidneys Riñones rin-YON-ays

Lamb Cordero cor-DER-oh

Liver Hígado ee-GAH-doh

Pork Cerdo SER-doh

Rabbit Conejo cone-AYE-hoe

Rack of ribs Tira de asado TEE-rah day ah-SAH-doh

Rib steak Bife de costilla BEE-fay day koh-STEE-sha

Sausage sandwich Choripán cho-REE-pahn

Sirloin steak Bife de chorizo BEE-fay day chor-EE-zoh

LOMITO = It's a typical lunchtime steak, so thinly sliced that Argentines feel it needs a protective layer of ham and cheese before being served.

The steak cuts in Buenos Aires differ from those in the USA. Bife de lomo is the prime cut, but you'll also encounter bife de chorizo (slightly chewier and more flavorful) and ojo de bife (rib eye) my favorite!.

Bon appétit!
This is great and covers quite a bit.

Back