Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Two-day side trip in August - Mendoza or Bariloche?

Yes @CraigM that is an excellent restaurant and very reasonable. Tourism has really fallen so these restaurants can't raise their prices too much. Especially in Mendoza that has limited traffic. You will enjoy Mendoza. A shame you don't like wine as there are excellent wineries there.
Thanks Larry. I enjoy drinking wine, I'm just not very interested in how it's made so touring a winery is like touring a cement plant :)

Thanks Larry. I enjoy drinking wine, I'm just not very interested in how it's made so touring a winery is like touring a cement plant :)
You sound like me. I LOVE drinking wine but don't care to see how it's made. @CraigM people are right about the culinary scene there. Top notch.

One of my best meals of the trip was in Mendoza at Quilmera Bistro. I had a 5 course with wine pairing and delicious.

Another great meal and probably my favorite wine was at Bodega Lagarde. They have a great restaurant there Fogon Cocina.

You sound like me. I LOVE drinking wine but don't care to see how it's made. @CraigM people are right about the culinary scene there. Top notch.

One of my best meals of the trip was in Mendoza at Quilmera Bistro. I had a 5 course with wine pairing and delicious.

Another great meal and probably my favorite wine was at Bodega Lagarde. They have a great restaurant there Fogon Cocina.

Awesome, thank you!

I've been told the Marte lift at Las Llenas is worth a ski trip on it's own, just never had the opportunity.
I heard the same thing Craig. It just is a haul as it looks like the closest airport is Mendoza. I saw there was another airport Malargue but I'm not sure if there are any commercial flights there. My friend went from Mendoza and he said it took him 5 hours each way. Maybe now that I will go down to Argentina more frequently, I'll visit.

That is a haul indeed. I think you can fly BA to San Rafael and then it's a 2 hour drive to Las Llenas. Let me know if you're coming down, we're there Aug 9-19.
I will probably be down there after that. I'm not sure how long the ski season lasts down there but I'm taking delivery of my new apartment in October. I might wait until then or possibly come a little early. But just read about these snow storms and road closures. I'd hate to get stuck down there.

I will probably be down there after that. I'm not sure how long the ski season lasts down there but I'm taking delivery of my new apartment in October. I might wait until then or possibly come a little early. But just read about these snow storms and road closures. I'd hate to get stuck down there.

Oh wow. Maybe it's not such a bad thing getting snowed in there - the skiing must be extraordinary!

Oh wow. Maybe it's not such a bad thing getting snowed in there - the skiing must be extraordinary!
It's not fun getting snowed in and stuck at the airport in Argentina. I got stuck in Bariloche before and the worst thing was the hotels were all sold out and there wasn't even any food at the airport. People were sleeping on the floor of the airport for days. Barely any water either. They can get some really heavy snowstorms there.

It's not fun getting snowed in and stuck at the airport in Argentina. I got stuck in Bariloche before and the worst thing was the hotels were all sold out and there wasn't even any food at the airport. People were sleeping on the floor of the airport for days. Barely any water either. They can get some really heavy snowstorms there.

This must happen often because my friend also got their flight delayed for days! The problem there when it gets backed up is everything gets backed up. No joke my friend got stuck there 3 extra days after a snowstorm. I thought Bariloche was overrated. I don't ski and went during the winter. People were making a big deal about chocolate stores.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't bad but if you don't ski I'm not sure it is worth it. I agree with the others Iguazu Falls is crazy beautiful! But the restaurants weren't anything too great. Mendoza has great restaurants. Never had any bad meals there.

This must happen often because my friend also got their flight delayed for days! The problem there when it gets backed up is everything gets backed up. No joke my friend got stuck there 3 extra days after a snowstorm. I thought Bariloche was overrated. I don't ski and went during the winter. People were making a big deal about chocolate stores.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't bad but if you don't ski I'm not sure it is worth it. I agree with the others Iguazu Falls is crazy beautiful! But the restaurants weren't anything too great. Mendoza has great restaurants. Never had any bad meals there.
I much prefer Bariloche in the Spring or summer vs. winter. I think the city can be overrated.

My friend returned from Argentina with his family this week and agreed with all of you that Iguazu is a must-see. He's been to Niagara and Victoria and thought Iguazu was a much better experience. So I guess that's where we're headed for the side trip! Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice.

My friend returned from Argentina with his family this week and agreed with all of you that Iguazu is a must-see. He's been to Niagara and Victoria and thought Iguazu was a much better experience. So I guess that's where we're headed for the side trip! Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice.
So wonderful of your friend to share his thoughts. Yes, people gave you good information above. I also been to Niagara and Victoria and some others but nothing like Iguazu. Special place. Make sure to see both Argentina and Brazil side. Very different perspective. Enjoy you trip and let us know how you like!

Great! You won't regret it. I have recommended Iguazu Falls to dozens and dozens of friends and family over the years. Every single one of them thought it was so special. You are going to have the time of your life.

Back