Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Two-day side trip in August - Mendoza or Bariloche?

:ROFLMAO: didn't they give you a plastic bag to put all your stuff in @FuturoBA? They did when I went. Going up the River was still one of the most exciting and a bit scary things I've done. We went pretty close to the waterfall which was exciting. I didn't know about the moonlight hike but I would do that. Sounds like a unique experience. Thanks for sharing the link.
No plastic bag, but on the return there were cubby lockers I somehow missed.

The Loi Suites is a great hotel. That is where I stayed too. If you stay there, there is a good restaurant Naipi Restaurant in that hotel. Other great meals were La Mamma Pastas and Salsas, and a unique experience is the Argentine Experience Iguazu. I'm sure most people do the same tours which were all fantastic as mentioned.
I also stayed at the Los Suites and it was wonderful. I also loved Naipi Restaurant. All the staff is so great. I didn't do the Argentine Experience in Iguazu but I did it in Buenos Aires. I'm not sure if it is the same owner but it was great! Igauzu was one of the highlights of my trip!

My friend returned from Argentina with his family this week and agreed with all of you that Iguazu is a must-see. He's been to Niagara and Victoria and thought Iguazu was a much better experience. So I guess that's where we're headed for the side trip! Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice.

Apparently you should get the Yellow Fever vaccine at least 10 days before going to Iguazu if you haven't gotten it already.

Apparently you should get the Yellow Fever vaccine at least 10 days before going to Iguazu if you haven't gotten it already.
It’s not required at all. I have visited twice and was not required at all. I think some might recommend it but not required. I heard of some harsh side effects and my doctor told me not to get one unless it was absolutely required by the country. He said there was a very low incidence rate.

It’s not required at all. I have visited twice and was not required at all. I think some might recommend it but not required. I heard of some harsh side effects and my doctor told me not to get one unless it was absolutely required by the country. He said there was a very low incidence rate.
No it is not required for Iguazu. I don't know anyone that gets that vaccine for going to Iguazu. Maybe some areas of Brazil require it but no one check your vaccine history to go to the Falls.

Did this just change @TonyTigre? I went to Iguazu and it was not required. Did you read this anywhere? Can you post a URL link where you read this?
No, this did NOT change. CDC recommends Yellow Fever vaccine but then again US government recommended COVID-19 vaccine and I wish I didn't get it. Argentina and Brazil do NOT require it. I visited a travel medicine doctor in the USA and they wanted about $225 to get vaccinated for this. I did update my tetanus and Hepatitis A and B shot but I opted not to get the Yellow Fever. No one requires this.

1. I respect people's choices when it comes to vaccines, regardless of their rationales behind their decisions. With that said, I personally believe in getting all required and US CDC recommended vaccines. There are risks and side effects, some of which are higher for certain people and for those reasons, the CDC would not recommend a vaccine for people with specific characteristics. A common reason I hear for people not getting a vaccine or regret getting a certain vaccine is due to bad side effects they heard about or experienced themselves. I believe that most of these people who had bad side effects (with the exception of allergic reactions), would likely suffer even worse symptoms if they had the actual disease. So personally, I would rather a vaccine potentially keep me in bed for a couple of days than risk getting the disease that would hospitalize me, or worse. That's especially true for vaccines where the protection lasts a lifetime or for decades.

2. When the CDC 'recommends' a vaccine, I interpret that to mean people 'should' get it. If it says that it's 'required', then I interpret that to mean people 'must' get it. That's why in my previous post, I used the word "should" instead "must."

3. With regards to the Yellow Fever vaccine, CDC states: "Recommended for travelers ≥9 months old going to Corrientes and Misiones Provinces. Generally not recommended for travel to Formosa Province or to designated areas of Chaco, Jujuy, and Salta Provinces. Not recommended for travel limited to provinces and areas not listed above."

1. I respect people's choices when it comes to vaccines, regardless of their rationales behind their decisions. With that said, I personally believe in getting all required and US CDC recommended vaccines. There are risks and side effects, some of which are higher for certain people and for those reasons, the CDC would not recommend a vaccine for people with specific characteristics. A common reason I hear for people not getting a vaccine or regret getting a certain vaccine is due to bad side effects they heard about or experienced themselves. I believe that most of these people who had bad side effects (with the exception of allergic reactions), would likely suffer even worse symptoms if they had the actual disease. So personally, I would rather a vaccine potentially keep me in bed for a couple of days than risk getting the disease that would hospitalize me, or worse. That's especially true for vaccines where the protection lasts a lifetime or for decades.

2. When the CDC 'recommends' a vaccine, I interpret that to mean people 'should' get it. If it says that it's 'required', then I interpret that to mean people 'must' get it. That's why in my previous post, I used the word "should" instead "must."

3. With regards to the Yellow Fever vaccine, CDC states: "Recommended for travelers ≥9 months old going to Corrientes and Misiones Provinces. Generally not recommended for travel to Formosa Province or to designated areas of Chaco, Jujuy, and Salta Provinces. Not recommended for travel limited to provinces and areas not listed above."
Have you gone to Igauzu @TonyTigre? Did you get the Yellow Fever vaccine?

Yellow Fever vaccine is overkill for Iguazu. I've been living and working in Brazil for 2 decades. Never heard of anyone getting Yellow Fever at Iguazu. No one will check this on either side as others mentioned.

Back