Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Two days exploring Buenos Aires as a solo traveler

David Turf

Next week, I'll be spending a couple of days in Buenos Aires on my own. My hotel is just a 20-minute walk from Plaza de Mayo. What nearby attractions should I explore? Are there any must-see places that I might consider taking a bus or cab to? I'm eager to immerse myself in the authentic atmosphere of Buenos Aires, ensuring, of course, that I prioritize safety. Thank you in advance for any recommendations!

Explore the charming streets of San Telmo, starting with Defensa Street, and take in the historic and beautiful blocks of Avenida de Mayo from Congress Square to Casa Rosada. If you have the energy to wander to Plaza Dorrego, the San Telmo indoor market offers a delightful array of small restaurants and unique vintage items for sale.
Depending on your preferences and energy levels, consider taking a cab or a leisurely walk back to your hotel. Buenos Aires is generally a safe city, but it's advisable to avoid drawing attention to yourself, especially with flashy jewelry or watches.
For the next day, venture into another neighborhood. Recoleta exudes an upscale, old-money charm, while Palermo is known for its trendy atmosphere. Whichever area you choose, you're bound to encounter interesting sights and activities throughout the city.

Greetings.

Considerations...

62-year-old solo male traveler.

I've been doing this since 2012, even when I visited Italy, I traveled solo.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but I always follow a few rules:

• Use common sense.
  • Pay attention to my surroundings.
  • Listen to my gut.
In this forum you can find a lot of information about where to go.

Do you have access to a map or Google Maps? You can mark the places you want to see and then decide whether you prefer to walk or not. While there is a subway system in Buenos Aires, it might not be convenient for every place you want to go.

I'm sorry, but I see everyone as an individual. My likes and dislikes are not the same as yours or anyone else's.

The times I've been there, I haven't had any issues walking to/from where I wanted.

Good luck!

Hello @David Turf ! here is some information about the San Telmo market:

Greetings.

Considerations...

62-year-old solo male traveler.

I've been doing this since 2012, even when I visited Italy, I traveled solo.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but I always follow a few rules:

• Use common sense.
  • Pay attention to my surroundings.
  • Listen to my gut.
In this forum you can find a lot of information about where to go.

Do you have access to a map or Google Maps? You can mark the places you want to see and then decide whether you prefer to walk or not. While there is a subway system in Buenos Aires, it might not be convenient for every place you want to go.

I'm sorry, but I see everyone as an individual. My likes and dislikes are not the same as yours or anyone else's.

The times I've been there, I haven't had any issues walking to/from where I wanted.

Good luck!
Great advice and remember you can download Google Maps in offline mode so you can access it even if you don't have cell coverage. But BA has great and affordable options to get an e-SIM and rates are very low with Claro and others.

for just 2 days, use any old Google search result for your area, and look on TripAdvisor. pretty basic stuff for such a short trip. mosquitos died down a lot, so you should be good, and it's hot but only gets to be high 90s fahrenheit, which isn't bad in the shade with the breeze.

Back