Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Two full days in Buenos Aires and San Telmo Market

jasonM

During our two-day stay in Buenos Aires, we have a city tour and a tango show planned for the second day. For the first day, we're keen on exploring the city while staying in safe areas. Considering we're staying at Palladio McGallery in Recoleta, would it be advisable to wander around Recoleta? Additionally, which areas in Palermo are recommended, and are they safe both during the day and at night?

I'm also thinking about visiting the San Telmo market on Sunday. Could you let me know if it's worthwhile or if it's more of a large flea market? Moreover, is San Telmo a safe area to explore during the day? If I decide to explore Recoleta on my own, where should I suggest our guide takes us for the half-day tour on our second day? It's our first time in South America, so any suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

San Telmo seemed quite secure during my visit two weeks ago. It's a highly walkable area, and the street fair there was fascinating, featuring many excellent offerings.

During the day, San Telmo, Palermo, and Recoleta are generally safe as long as you take regular precautions.

Last week, I explored San Telmo, and in my opinion, it felt very safe. The area was bustling with lots of people, and the market was quite crowded. I couldn't help but wonder, don't people have day jobs? It's amusing! I've been wandering around various parts of Buenos Aires, such as Palermo, Microcentro, etc., during the night, and I've never felt threatened. Of course, I take the usual precautions one would in a large city. Overall, I find Buenos Aires to be much safer than many other places I've visited, especially during the day. On a side note, it's advisable to avoid the area around the Libertador Hotel, as the new president is often there, resulting in a significant police and reporter presence, along with other unknown individuals.

During our two-day stay in Buenos Aires, we have a city tour and a tango show planned for the second day. For the first day, we're keen on exploring the city while staying in safe areas. Considering we're staying at Palladio McGallery in Recoleta, would it be advisable to wander around Recoleta? Additionally, which areas in Palermo are recommended, and are they safe both during the day and at night?

I'm also thinking about visiting the San Telmo market on Sunday. Could you let me know if it's worthwhile or if it's more of a large flea market? Moreover, is San Telmo a safe area to explore during the day? If I decide to explore Recoleta on my own, where should I suggest our guide takes us for the half-day tour on our second day? It's our first time in South America, so any suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Hi jasonM,

I leave you a thread that could be useful for you

Back