Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Legal US Passport Renewal process in Buenos Aires

torquey

I need to renew my US passport. Every time I access the US Embassy online scheduling system, there are no appointments available. It does show FULLY BOOKED appointment dates, however, I never see any AVAILABLE appointment dates. I try the system several times a day, all week long.

When I call the embassy, the recording says it's closed and they only take emergency calls. My situation is not really an emergency. I live in BA and I want to go visit family back in the US....

Can anybody help me out?

I would recommend you call the Emergency line at the USA Embassy in Buenos Aires and tell them you must travel asap for a family emergency situation. I'm not sure if they will require proof. Sometimes I just book a fake booking that is refundable in case they need to see the ticket.

I sent an email... this was their reply:

Thank you for contacting us. We realize that checking constantly is annoying and time-consuming. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause but unfortunately, the only way to schedule an appointment is via the website. Slots open and close at any time/day so please continue monitoring it.

Frustrating to say the least...

I am in the same situation except I do not need to travel back. The thing is I am applying for credit back in the states and I cannot do absolutely anything without a valid passport. Whats worse thats my only form of identification.

Anyone think the Embassy would do something for these cases? I mean you cant do almost anything without a valid ID. Isnt that an emergency?

Congrats!!! Can you please explain how exactly you got the appointment? I mean, did you check every hour for example? Or everytime you log in you stay 5-10 minutes and constantly refreshing the page? Also, what month was the first available appointment?

Congrats!!! Can you please explain how exactly you got the appointment? I mean, did you check every hour for example? Or everytime you log in you stay 5-10 minutes and constantly refreshing the page? Also, what month was the first available appointment?

I work online, so I just kept the appointment page open and tried every so often during the day. There were appointments available this month. It's a pain, but you have to just keep trying every day, several times a day. Office hours work best.

Keep in mind I did NOT refresh the page. I had no way to be sure it would work that way. So I entered each time new from the Make Appointment page.

Back