Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Warning Credit Card Con

Eirin

I visited Buenos Aires from October 26, 2023, to November 16, 2023, and everything went smoothly with the "blue rate" when using my Mastercard credit card.

Upon receiving my credit card statement, I noticed an issue regarding the use of VIATOR, the travel company, for booking three day trips to the Tigre Delta at a cost of 85,000 pesos. I anticipated a refund from Mastercard, assuming it would be processed at the "blue rate." However, Mastercard paid VIATOR at the official rate rather than the "blue rate."

When I contacted Mastercard, I was informed that the payment was processed in London, which exempted it from the "blue rate."

Crucially, during the online transaction with VIATOR, there was no indication that they utilized a London site for payments, and consequently, any payments made would not attract the "blue rate."

Based on this experience, I would advise anyone using VIATOR to consider using cash for their transactions.

On a positive note, the trips were very enjoyable!

@carioca Thank you for your response. Regarding the use of your card in Argentina, are you able to access the "blue rate"? My point is that, in all my previous experiences in Argentina, I have always received the "Blue Rate." If companies don't provide the "blue rate," it would be helpful if they communicated this on their booking page. Regards.

When your foreign card is charged in Argentine Pesos (ARS), the exchange rate is determined by the bank handling your credit card transactions. Most Visa and Mastercards (and perhaps Amex) nowadays convert ARS at a rate close to the MEP rate, not the full Dolar Blue rate.

In the case of your bank, it appears that they only convert at the almost-MEP rate if the transaction is both in ARS and processed within Argentina. It's an unfortunate distinction. However, for the benefit of others, it could be a useful data point if you're willing to share the name of your bank.

When your foreign card is charged in Argentine Pesos (ARS), the exchange rate is determined by the bank handling your credit card transactions. Most Visa and Mastercards (and perhaps Amex) nowadays convert ARS at a rate close to the MEP rate, not the full Dolar Blue rate.

In the case of your bank, it appears that they only convert at the almost-MEP rate if the transaction is both in ARS and processed within Argentina. It's an unfortunate distinction. However, for the benefit of others, it could be a useful data point if you're willing to share the name of your bank.
I appreciate your response. I used a Mastercard for all my credit card transactions, and it was my card provider who explained why the "blue rate" wasn't applicable. Unfortunately, there was no indication on the website pages about the payment location, making it challenging to know where the transactions were processed.

Credit card companies typically provide the MEP rate for transactions made within Argentina. However, if you make a purchase from a website not based in Argentina, the conversion rate applied will be the official exchange rate.

I find it unexpected that Viator processed the transaction in ARS. I encountered a similar situation when attempting to book GetYourGuide tours quoted in ARS; however, the transactions consistently failed. I had to switch to CAD, albeit at a higher price. Interestingly, GetYourGuide wasn't processing transactions in Argentina, and it seemed odd that they provided quotes in ARS but failed the transactions without a specified reason.

@BASally I appreciate your response. The key point I'm trying to convey, and want others to be aware of, is the challenge in determining whether the payment office is located outside Argentina. In my case, even while in Argentina and using a local internet provider, the website seemed Argentine. The issue arises when companies don't explicitly mention the location of their payment office, making it impossible to know whether the "blue rate" applies. This is why I suggested using cash for booking tours. Regards.

Back