Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Is anyone else that has a DNI having any issues with Western Union lately? It seems like the past 2 months payments to my local bank account are taking longer to deposit. It used to be within 24 hours. But last month it took 3 days and on a recent payment it has taken a week. In many years of using WU it's never taken this long.

Also, my daughter that sent me the funds was required to confirm what the payment was for. There was a long laundry list of items to select. Anyone else having this issue?

Is anyone else that has a DNI having any issues with Western Union lately? It seems like the past 2 months payments to my local bank account are taking longer to deposit. It used to be within 24 hours. But last month it took 3 days and on a recent payment it has taken a week. In many years of using WU it's never taken this long.

Also, my daughter that sent me the funds was required to confirm what the payment was for. There was a long laundry list of items to select. Anyone else having this issue?
Yes the same thing has happened to my girlfriend. She regularly supports her mother and the same delay is happening to her. She sent in funds today and she got this screen. Apparently AFIP is trying to see if people are working and getting paid. Contractors or monotributo workers that aren't declaring their income. I would assume as long as you select Family Support you should be ok. But this is the first time this has happened to us too.

IMG_5098.jpg

I have a friend and she said the same thing is happening to her. She also got the notice asking what the funds are for. I believe this is only for those that have a DNI that are sending cash to themselves or getting payments from others. Even if you have a DNI it might be a good idea to use your passport info from your home country.

Well, you go through all the screens using that code and it looks like it worked. Then you look at the history, where the transaction should appear and it doesn't. Funny that it will let you go through the screens without errors, but then it disappears. I tried twice, then did a transfer without using the code and it went through, rate was 1,298. Immediately available, too (which only happened once before, normally it takes 24 hrs).

How do you get those codes? Does WU send them to you?
Yes once in a while I get codes emailed if I don't use WU for a while. It worked for me but maybe it can only be used a certain # of times.

Betsy, did you get to the point where it tells you when the money will be available? Also, did you transfer to an account here or to pick up at WU office?
Yes the money shows already available to pick up. I did it so I was picking up the cash at WU office. These offers get emailed about once a year or so. I have done it before. But sometimes I believe they only offer a certain # of people to use them before it stops if they are shared.

That must be why, then. Well, good to know. So far we've got no free transfers a few times, I think three times, since October, but never one of those codes.
Yes sometimes they will just randomly give you free transfer offers not advertised but you might see it when you go to check out and be surprised. Maybe that is why it's not working for you. I believe they only give so many of these per customer per year. Sometimes it just shows up and if it's a while since I haven't used WU then they will email me prodding to use them again.

Back