Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer what about the riots in BA?

I've come across news about riots in Buenos Aires, but there's no mention of it on the forum. Is this not a worry for tourists? We'll be there next weekend and are hoping it won't be an issue. Thanks.
Hello Ant.
As long as you do not enter the riot, nothing should happen! One recommendation is if you know there is going to be a riot in that area try to avoid it... but if you have to pass near this one, nothing should happen.

Keep in mind that Argentines often use the term 'riot' when they actually mean 'protest,' from what I've observed. There have been a few protests since the new president took office, but nothing resembling a riot in the sense you might be thinking, and certainly nothing dangerous. Any such events would likely be centered around Congreso or Plaza Mayo and should be quite noticeable if you want to avoid them.

on 24Jan2024 there was a "big" protest, organized by the main Unions to blackmail the president, but basically nothing happened. the communists here are a very loud, whiny minority and no one cares about them. Twitter is the best for BsAs news...follow www.x.com/BowTiedMara

we've covered it here, fairly well:

Keep in mind that Argentines often use the term 'riot' when they actually mean 'protest,' from what I've observed. There have been a few protests since the new president took office, but nothing resembling a riot in the sense you might be thinking, and certainly nothing dangerous. Any such events would likely be centered around Congreso or Plaza Mayo and should be quite noticeable if you want to avoid them.
Yes There have been a few protests since the President was elected 2 months ago but my local friends tell me that protests are nothing new and happen often. I am almost never in that part of town. You would never know if you did not watch the news or read about it.

Good video interview. Bullrich says there were 10,000 protests last year. Wow.

Wow 4:10 into it, the Minister of Security for Argentina says there are 10,000 riots per year. 30 per day. Can this be true?? I was there 3 months before and I only saw some near downtown area. But are there really that many??

Wow 4:10 into it, the Minister of Security for Argentina says there are 10,000 riots per year. 30 per day. Can this be true?? I was there 3 months before and I only saw some near downtown area. But are there really that many??
Well I think Bullrich is counting any time protesters are blocking roads too. That can happen at times throughout the day downtown. This has been an ongoing issue over the past many years. I for one am glad they are more strict with not allowing people to block the roads and traffic.

BA has many many protests each day. I agree it is good not to block the streets. This has improved greatly.

You will see many more riots in street in 3 months if things don't quickly improve. All the people spending savings to pay bills and buy food. And many people have no money for food. Many people only eat one meal a day.

Back