Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer What are some fantastic values for shopping?

Val

We're planning a trip to Buenos Aires in February, and I'm eager to explore and bring back some unique local finds. I've heard that items like locally produced leather goods tend to be more budget-friendly. Besides that, I'm considering investing in a bag or shoes and wondering if there are custom tailors for suits.

Additionally, I've come across information suggesting that spas in the city offer good deals. I'm curious about your thoughts on that and if you have any other recommendations to enhance the overall experience.

Thanks!

We're planning a trip to Buenos Aires in February, and I'm eager to explore and bring back some unique local finds. I've heard that items like locally produced leather goods tend to be more budget-friendly. Besides that, I'm considering investing in a bag or shoes and wondering if there are custom tailors for suits.

Additionally, I've come across information suggesting that spas in the city offer good deals. I'm curious about your thoughts on that and if you have any other recommendations to enhance the overall experience.

Thanks!
Don't leave Argentina without a suitcase filled with Havanna Alfajores.
The best alfajores I have ever tried!

Thanks!
I would recommend a couple of bottles of malbec, and for alfajores: Cachafaz!! Amazing!!

Thanks!
Honestly besides leather I don't think Argentina is a great shopping destination. Sure there are some local finds but I don't think clothes are all that great quality. However, for women, bags/purses and shoes I can tell you from experience having a wife that likes to shop and 2 daughters that love shoes and purses that Argentina might be a Mecca for that based on how much they buy. But I'll ask my wife to swing by this forum and post her favorite stores. I don't have a clue which stores.

My wife and I go to the Four Seasons often for couples massages and a Spa day. It's quite nice there. They have separate men's and women's lounges and they have a relaxation room. But more times than not these days we just go for couples massages here - https://www.expatsba.com/threads/th...therapeutic-massages-estetica-jyn-palermo.96/

Crazy cheap at around 15,000 pesos for 1 hour couples massage + tip. All the girls there (Micaela, Maria and Maria) are fantastic! I get deep tissue massages there about 3 X a week (yes I like to spoil myself). You can get a 4 handed massage with 2 girls for the same price of 15,000 pesos for 1 hour. Otherwise it's 10,000 pesos for 1 hour for only 1 girl.

I agree about Alfajores. That's a favorite gift to bring back. All my friends love when I come to Buenos Aires as I bring a suitcase back.

Thanks!
Certainly, shoes are a must! Buenos Aires has a rich tradition of crafting high-quality, handmade footwear. Personally, I've been custom-ordering my tango shoes for several years, and they are incredibly soft and impeccably crafted. I've even purchased men's styles to wear casually, and my tango heels serve as elegant dress shoes when needed. Here are some places where you can find pre-made options, and the last one also accommodates special orders:

https://www.instagram.com/gretaflora_oficial/

https://www.instagram.com/commeilfautbuenosaires/

https://www.instagram.com/katrinskishoes/

I hope you enjoy your trip and make lots of purchases! :)

Hi Val,

Here is a list with the Top 5 best alfajores in Argentina

1 - Cachafaz
Headquartered in San Isidro, Buenos Aires. "These alfajores stand out for their soft and buttery dough, as well as for their dulce de leche filling and chocolate coating. The quality of the ingredients and their distinctive flavor make them a favorite among alfajores lovers."

1701361666679.png

2- Havanna
The famous and popular brand from Mar del Plata was chosen because it is known both nationally and internationally. In addition, "Havanna is famous for its high quality dulce de leche filling and chocolate coating". Another factor is the wide variety of flavors and the texture of its alfajores, which makes them very popular.

1701361792318.png

3- Jorgito
It is one of the most popular options and is one of the most sought after due to its quality/price ratio. "There are several versions: glazed, fruit and dulce de leche. However, the one that sells the most in the kioscos is the version with chocolate coating.

1701361949972.png

4- Balcarce
Another more prestigious option. Balcarce alfajores also originate from Mar del Plata. "They are characterized by having a soft dough and a high quality dulce de leche filling and fruity flavors. Their various layers of flavors make them provocative to choose from."

1701362098075.png

3- Guaymallen
Unlike the previous ones, this is a popular and massive product. "It is tasty, cheap and can be found in all kioscos. In 2021 it was the leader in sales and the version most chosen by the Argentine public is the one dipped in white chocolate"

1701362213194.png
Regarding dulce de leche, I would highly recommend "Dulce de Leche & Co" as the top choice. They have an extensive network of 14 branches, allowing you to locate the nearest one and indulge in this exquisite product. It's worth noting that they were awarded the title of the best dulce de leche in the country at the latest Gastronomic Festival, where producers from across Argentina gather. It's an experience you definitely don't want to miss!

Furthermore, their stores not only offer dulce de leche but also a wide variety of products made with or based on this delicious ingredient.

1701363443033.jpeg

If you're looking for a more commercially available option that's still popular, brands like La Serenísima can be found in supermarkets nationwide. However, there are also other notable brands such as Sancor and Vacalín.

I hope you can bring back a selection of these delicious treats for your friends. Enjoy the authentic and unique flavors of Argentina! :)

Back