Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

fetch rover

I am moving to Argentina in the first quarter of 2024. My husband used to work in Argentina when his company Exxon sent him there many years ago. Now there must be increased activity with President Milei as they are sending us to go relocate to Argentina with a generous compensation package. He was single when he lived before in Argentina so he doesn't have any idea of schools.

I have a middle school student that will be in 8th grade. And I have a high school student that is in the 10th grade next year. I also have a 3rd grader. Can anyone give some recommendations on bilingual schools? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Some research let me to these so I'd appreciate any feedback if you have any on these schools or if you know of other schools.

Belgrano Day School

St. Matthews College

Washington School

We sent our kids to Belgrano Day School (BDS).

It's cool to see families moving to BA who aren't just trying to copy the typical US school vibe. BDS doesn't follow the usual northern hemisphere calendar, but there were like 20% of kids from different parts of the world when our son was there. More kids from Asia and mainland Europe than the US or other English-speaking spots.

He kicked off in second grade, knew a bit of Spanish, got a private tutor (extra cost, yeah) and bam, he was almost fluent in a few months. Even now, he says his knack for nailing homework, especially old-school math, and his awesome handwriting (everything in his hometown was in a notebook, cursive, and in ink) is all thanks to BDS. It's been a while, but we still swing by and say hi when we're in the neighborhood.

Like, half the day is in each language, and they've got a solid IB program. For expats, it's not crazy pricey like Lincoln, and your kid makes a bunch of local pals while picking up the language with a solid porteño accent. Totally recommend it, no doubt.

If Exxon is paying the big bucks you might want to consider Lincoln. It's very expensive.

Timely post. I don't mean to piggy back off this post but I am also thinking of enrolling my child at the Lincoln School.

I'm really crossing my fingers for a little miracle here—I need your thoughts! We're still in the US, but come late June, we're making the move to BA. Exciting stuff! My 7-year-old just scored an 'acceptance' to Lincoln School, and they're asking for a hefty $1,500 USD deposit. It's a chunk of change, but if it's the absolute best for him, we're willing to swing it.

We've heard he could also get into Belgrano Day, Washington, and Arco Iris.

Now, the burning questions:

• Any insider info on Lincoln?
  • Is living close to it a must, especially for a little 6-year-old commuter?
  • Any folks living around there? And if you are, how far is it from Belgrano (where my hubby's friends and fam are at)?
  • Our kiddo's got some solid Spanish under his belt and is half Argentine. Would it be cooler for him to dive into a first-grade adventure in July at a school like Belgrano Day? He's totally American but super social and sweet. I'm just a tad worried about him feeling out of place joining mid-year, being the new kid and not fully fluent.
My husband, being the true Porteño he is, thinks Lincoln might set our son up for an easy transition back to the US in 24 months. I'm just not vibing with the idea of him spending hours on a school bus or me chauffeuring with my 3-year-old.

BIG THANKS! 🌟

Timely post. I don't mean to piggy back off this post but I am also thinking of enrolling my child at the Lincoln School.

I'm really crossing my fingers for a little miracle here—I need your thoughts! We're still in the US, but come late June, we're making the move to BA. Exciting stuff! My 7-year-old just scored an 'acceptance' to Lincoln School, and they're asking for a hefty $1,500 USD deposit. It's a chunk of change, but if it's the absolute best for him, we're willing to swing it.

We've heard he could also get into Belgrano Day, Washington, and Arco Iris.

Now, the burning questions:

• Any insider info on Lincoln?
  • Is living close to it a must, especially for a little 6-year-old commuter?
  • Any folks living around there? And if you are, how far is it from Belgrano (where my hubby's friends and fam are at)?
  • Our kiddo's got some solid Spanish under his belt and is half Argentine. Would it be cooler for him to dive into a first-grade adventure in July at a school like Belgrano Day? He's totally American but super social and sweet. I'm just a tad worried about him feeling out of place joining mid-year, being the new kid and not fully fluent.
My husband, being the true Porteño he is, thinks Lincoln might set our son up for an easy transition back to the US in 24 months. I'm just not vibing with the idea of him spending hours on a school bus or me chauffeuring with my 3-year-old.

BIG THANKS! 🌟
Lincoln follows the same deal as US public schools. It's got American and other international kids, but yeah, it's pretty pricey. On the flip side, BDS is all about that Argentine vibe, probably not many Americans there. And bonus, I'm guessing it's way more budget-friendly. Lincoln has these awesome facilities, and I'm pretty sure the classes are on the smaller side.

If you want your kids to interact with Argentine locals, make local friends and learn Spanish you should not go to Lincoln. There are many kids that are expats kids and already speaking English so they mostly will be speaking in English. It depends what your goals are for your kids.

Lincoln is widely considered one of the best schools period. It IS VERY expensive but see if your employer or your husband's employer will pay for it. Often times they do. Commute from Belgrano, at rush hour, allow an hour or so. Otherwise it's about a 30 minute commute. We have many friends that send their kids there but mostly it's the employers paying for it. Too rich for my blood.

So, get this, one of my friend's, Jessica, who, by the way, doesn't even send her kid to Lincoln, summed it up for me. She said it feels like you're dropping serious cash to send your kiddo to a school that's basically like a good ol' public school in the USA. Talk about a plot twist! It's tough to say, you know? Lincoln hires native English speakers, so the teaching quality in that department is probably top-notch. But whether it's really worth the moolah, especially for a short stint and just primary school—hard to tell. If it doesn't break the piggy bank, and you're all about that American school year life, maybe it's a vibe. But your kiddo might miss out on soaking in some Argentine culture, just saying. And hey, 18 months in a school at this age won't make or break his university dreams, for sure!

From Belgrano, the bus ride to Lincoln is a bit of a journey. Driving isn't too shabby, though. In a car, you're looking at a reverse commute, like 26 mins in the morning and a tad more in the afternoon. But hold up—the school day here is crazy long, around 8 am to 5 pm. Maybe Lincoln has some different hours, who knows? Lunch breaks are a solid 1.5 hours, making the afternoons feel like forever. For a 7-year-old, that's a serious day. Adding another hour in the car might be a stretch (and the bus, well, it stops everywhere, so it's even longer).

Sending him to a closer spot means he could possibly swing back home for lunch (remember that 1.5-hour break? Yeah, that's the golden ticket).

Adjusting mid-year anywhere might be a bit tricky, but soon enough, you'll be in the wild world of birthday madness. Quick note: you gotta invite everyone to the party, and they happen mid-week afternoons. It's nuts, but your kid will be right in the mix.

Now, if you're budget-conscious about those tuition fees, think about this: Sending your kid to Lincoln means you're part of that whole scene—events, outings, birthdays. People here drop insane amounts on a single birthday bash. They even send a bus to round up all the kids and take them to the country club. Talk about a party bus!

Oh, and let me drop a truth bomb—I don't buy the whole "Lincoln is the absolute best" thing. Sure, it's up there, but Northlands, San Andres, and Saint Georges—they're no slouches, maybe even outshining Lincoln. Especially Northlands and St Georges, they're like the MVPs. Belgrano Day School easily lands in the top 10-15, so it's not like your kid would suffer there.

Hit up the Buenos Aires Mummy Group on Facebook, toss your questions about schools in there. Some parents might be sending their kids or have the lowdown on all the schools. Also, shoot a PM to Parvati on this forum—she's got a 6-year-old and had to make the same calls. She's got the inside scoop, trust me! Good luck on this wild schooling adventure! 🚀

Recently, my sister in law conducted an interview at Islands International School situated in Belgrano. Her favorable impressions emanate from its bilingual curriculum, structured around the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. This distinctive approach entails half-day instruction in Spanish and the remaining half in English. Notably, the IB program adheres to standardized global norms, facilitating a seamless transition for students across educational institutions.

Of particular merit is the school's diverse demographic, primarily comprising Argentinian students. However, it is noteworthy that Islands International School boasts a degree of familiarity with expatriates, including those returning to the United States. Additionally, a subset of their graduates has been privileged to pursue higher education abroad, although the predominant trend leans towards domestic institutions, primarily attributable to financial considerations.

To further assess the scholastic environment, she is scheduled to visit the junior school facilities imminently, thereby affording her the opportunity to scrutinize the classrooms and associated amenities. While the precise tuition fees for the pertinent academic year elude her, I recommend direct communication with the institution for a more accurate estimate. As her child is merely 3 years old, it is pertinent to acknowledge the likelihood of varying fee structures contingent upon age cohorts.

We sent our kiddo to Belgrano Day School, and it was awesome! His English and Spanish teachers were super cool, and they really helped him level up in Spanish. Almost everyone there speaks English, so your kid won't be lost in translation. Finding a place in the neighborhood was a bit of an adventure, but it's a cool area. It took us some door-knocking, but we finally snagged a place to rent.

He was talking like a pro in both languages within two months. The switch was smooth, and he made lots of buddies. Gotta admit, though, the boys in Argentina play a bit rougher than the ones in UK. We worked together to handle it, and he picked up some extra skills along the way. We met awesome families and felt right at home in the school. There were three other foreign students in his class, which is pretty standard. Oh, and his class had 23 students.

Now, the school gets a bit of a snobby reputation, but I gotta say, the staff rocked, and most families were down-to-earth (even if the moms really dressed up for drop-off and pick-up!). When we came back to the US, it was a bit weird adjusting to the different school calendar, but guess what? He was actually ahead of his classmates in the same grade.

So, if you want your kid to soak in Argentine culture, get a top-notch education, and not spend forever on that crazy long drive to Lincoln, BDS is the way to go.

Okay, honey, I'm not a mom (I'm a gay male that loves sipping on wine all day), but listen up—I'm thinking, toss him into a totally Argentine school, and bam, his Spanish is gonna be on point. Picture this: a unique adventure that screams college application essay material! Trust me, being fully bilingual is like a fabulous gift that keeps on giving, and it's gonna be a game-changer for him down the road.

I'm almost tempted to say, at his age, go full Spanish school mode. Let him soak it all in now 'cause, let's be real, he's gonna be learning in English for the rest of his fab life. 💁‍♀️🌈

Okay, honey, I'm not a mom (I'm a gay male that loves sipping on wine all day), but listen up—I'm thinking, toss him into a totally Argentine school, and bam, his Spanish is gonna be on point. Picture this: a unique adventure that screams college application essay material! Trust me, being fully bilingual is like a fabulous gift that keeps on giving, and it's gonna be a game-changer for him down the road.

I'm almost tempted to say, at his age, go full Spanish school mode. Let him soak it all in now 'cause, let's be real, he's gonna be learning in English for the rest of his fab life. 💁‍♀️🌈

Totally vibing with @Soytoy here, sweetie. Not a daddy (well sometimes but not daddy in that way. I'm also a gay male and never had kids - but my siblings have kids in private schools), but if I found myself in your shoes, Lincoln wouldn't be my go-to.
Look, it's just 18 months (which is like, blink and you're there), and I'd go all in on immersing him in the culture. Trust me, he's gonna soak up so much in terms of life skills and development. Plenty of other fabulous schools can make that happen. 🌈

Alright, jumping on the bandwagon with the last two commentaries, and just to throw it out there—I'm a dad. If your little dude doesn't leave this place rocking fluent Spanish, I gotta say, it's like time went on a vacation, in my opinion. English won't be pulling a disappearing act in his future, no worries there. Lock in that Spanish while he's still in the tiny human phase.

Why waste your time stuck in traffic, shuttling back and forth? This city's throwing so much fun at you, and sitting in a car ain't it. Your kiddo's at that age where he can totally conquer those initial challenges. I mean, I used to despise my parents for a couple of weeks whenever they threw me into something new, but then I'd forget to stay mad. It's the circle of life, right?

Also Belgrano is NOT the center of the City. Here is a better located school that I sent my kids to:

Last year, I enrolled my 3-year-old in a private bilingual school in Tigre. While it might be feasible to consider public schools in CABA, in Tigre, I'd err on the side of caution unless you're comfortable with your kids picking up their ABCs from L-Gante and mingling with children whose parents might not be the ideal playdate guests.

Before settling on the bilingual school, I diligently visited every school in the area with openings and conducted interviews. I found that some of these for-profit "bilingual" schools had a less-than-impressive level of English proficiency. In the end, I opted for a not-for-profit bilingual school.

We've even set up a WhatsApp group with around 20 US parents from the school, and there's a consensus that while the school doesn't quite measure up to the standards of private schools in the US, it falls somewhere in line with a good middle-class public school back home.

Gotta give it to @Colin solid observations and advice right there.

Let's be real, for pretty much every expat (and I mean literally every single one), going for a state school is like a "nope" from the get-go.

And when it comes to the bilingual schools, oh boy, the feedback I'm getting totally lines up with what's been said. Picking one of those is like choosing your Netflix show—requires serious consideration.

Now, for a city as big as Buenos Aires, the scarcity of international schools is kinda weird. Like, someone mentioned earlier, there's basically just two, and one of them is so pricey it mostly attracts the offspring of ambassadors and diplomats, you know, living the high life funded by public money.

Other friends send their kids to these schools and they raved about them:

Argentina, yeah, it kinda gets its fair share of not-so-great comments online. But you know what's cool? When Argentina does something right, it's like smashing it at a top world-class level. Think Messi, Teatro Colon, or a killer Asado!

So, here's the scoop—I sent both my girls to public schools in Buenos Aires, and guess what? They snagged spots in and graduated from CNBA (Colegio Nacional de Buenos Aires), a public but super selective school. The dedication of their educators to top-notch education and knowledge was next level. They got this killer classic education, diving into everything from Latin to Astronomy.

At CNBA, they got to really geek out on their academic interests, learning from UBA professors, and even repping their school in Argentine and global academic olympiads. Straight out of CNBA, they aced their way into seriously competitive Universities (Stanford and UCLA). The older one's killing it in her junior year, double majoring in STEM subjects and ruling the class. The younger one just got into a top-tier Ivy League university this Fall. And get this—they both wanna come back and live in Argentina after finishing up their studies. How do you like em apples?

Honestly, none of these epic opportunities would've been on the table without their Argentine education. Like, no way they'd be doing this if they'd hit up any public school back in the States that I could've realistically thrown them into. Choosing Argentina for their journey? Best call for their future, hands down. Grateful for the education and opportunities Argentina handed them.

All great posts. Thanks for sharing the knowledge! If you live up north you may want to think about this school. My friend's kid went there and he ended up going to Yale.

Also, take note there is a Lincoln in Belgrano is not related to Lincoln La Lucila in any way. The one in La Lucila follows the US school calendar and curriculum, most children that attend have parents working for embassies, etc.

St. George's, Cardenal Newman, and San Andres are considered the top elite schools in Argentina. Can be snobby and hard for children not belonging to the local elite or that have some $$$$.

In Argentina, the accessibility of university education renders the ranking of private high schools based on university admissions somewhat redundant. The University of Buenos Aires, despite its inadequate facilities and reliance on part-time faculty, remains highly regarded and maintains an open-door policy, admitting all who express the desire to enroll. It is worth noting that the Ciclo Basico first-year program functions as a selective mechanism for students.

Private universities, being profit-driven entities, are generally disinclined to turn away potential applicants. Esteemed primary and secondary private institutions such as St Andrews and Northlands exhibit an exclusivity that transcends academic realms, fostering social networks that endure beyond graduation. These networks often converge in elite social spaces like the Jockey Club, Club Nautico, and exclusive vacation destinations such as Villa La Angostura or abroad.

These prestigious schools strategically employ a handful of teachers from England, contributing to an aesthetic of sophistication. However, it is essential to recognize that the English spoken by these educators may lack the 'posh' accent typical in the UK, a detail often overlooked in the Argentine context.

While these institutions do provide a higher standard of education, it is crucial to contextualize this within the Argentine educational landscape, where the definition of excellence may diverge from international standards. Taking all factors into account, a suggestion would be to explore private schools of less ostensible prestige, fostering an environment that veers away from perceived hypocrisy.

Back