Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

My aunt teacher at St. Andrews. I ask her and she write this below.

"Both Northlands and St. Andrew's are reputable educational institutions offering the IB curriculum, positioning their students well for admission to European universities. Alternatively, schools like Belgrano Day School and St. Brendan's adhere to the University of Cambridge CIE program, providing a robust international curriculum. However, if your aspirations lean towards non-UK universities, the IB program may present a more fitting option.

Disregard notions about the teachers' social background; international job postings attract a diverse pool of experienced applicants. Schools select candidates based on merit and job requirements. Contract teachers, appointed by bilingual schools, often fill strategic roles, such as Head of Science or Head of History, enhancing the overall educational standards.

While concrete statistics are unavailable, St. Andrew's likely boasts superior IB results. It's pertinent to note that their primary school operates independently from the secondary school, and ongoing campus relocation may impact the school's routine.

In navigating advice on living arrangements and school choices, it's crucial to distinguish between financial perspectives and practical realities. Opting for a prestigious private school, as you mentioned, ensures a comprehensive sports and academic curriculum, along with opportunities for diverse extracurricular activities like music and drama. Any perception of 'snobbishness' often stems from financial considerations rather than inherent qualities of the institution."

It all really depends on where you guys are going to live. And how much your husband's company will spend on your family.

We are in a gated community about 60kms north of the capital - if this is close to where you may be living, I can give you concrete recommendations.
Hello @GlasgowJohn! We aren't sure yet. Before when he was sent to Buenos Aires he was living in Recoleta. He was single but he said he was living in a 500 sq. meter apartment alone! His company gave him a generous stipend allowance so he used the maximum. I don't know if prices are higher or lower now vs. then. He was last there in 2008. He said he was spending $4,500 USD per month in rent. I'm not sure if he will get more or less than that but it doesn't sound like that will be a factor. He thinks he will get $6,000 USD per month for housing. He is still negotiating if he wants to go or not.

In some ways I worry it will be a huge disruption to our kids who already have friends. But my husband would like to live in Buenos Aires again for 18-24 months and the money may be too good to pass up. I was also worried about safety with the poor economy but my husband assures me that safety is not a concern in BA.

I don't want to be too far from the city but it sounds like all these schools are very far from the city center.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to answer! Wow. I found this website by chance on Twitter. I can't believe how wonderful everyone is. Thank you again.

Hello @GlasgowJohn! We aren't sure yet. Before when he was sent to Buenos Aires he was living in Recoleta. He was single but he said he was living in a 500 sq. meter apartment alone! His company gave him a generous stipend allowance so he used the maximum. I don't know if prices are higher or lower now vs. then. He was last there in 2008. He said he was spending $4,500 USD per month in rent. I'm not sure if he will get more or less than that but it doesn't sound like that will be a factor. He thinks he will get $6,000 USD per month for housing. He is still negotiating if he wants to go or not.

In some ways I worry it will be a huge disruption to our kids who already have friends. But my husband would like to live in Buenos Aires again for 18-24 months and the money may be too good to pass up. I was also worried about safety with the poor economy but my husband assures me that safety is not a concern in BA.

I don't want to be too far from the city but it sounds like all these schools are very far from the city center.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to answer! Wow. I found this website by chance on Twitter. I can't believe how wonderful everyone is. Thank you again.
@fetch rover you should really reconsider moving here. If you did not hear, Argentina has elected a lunatic and bipolar and crazy man. He is not well. Prices are going very high. Our healthcare jumped 40% overnight. Mass transit prices are skyrocketing and soon our utilities also. People can't pay to eat. So you will see many protests and crime skyrocket. You may want to reconsider. It not a good time to come to Argentina. Good luck for you.

Private message sent.

@fetch rover you should really reconsider moving here. If you did not hear, Argentina has elected a lunatic and bipolar and crazy man. He is not well. Prices are going very high. Our healthcare jumped 40% overnight. Mass transit prices are skyrocketing and soon our utilities also. People can't pay to eat. So you will see many protests and crime skyrocket. You may want to reconsider. It not a good time to come to Argentina. Good luck for you.
Oh dear. I really hope not. I just asked my husband based on what you mentioned about safety and he laughed and said that Milei "was crazy" and he said it will take someone crazy to fix Argentina's woes. I hope he meant crazy in a good way!

I pray that crime doesn't increase. My husband was just down there 3 weeks ago and he said that it was business as usual. Sure very difficult but he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I will pray for you @Avocado as well as all Argentines. Happy New Year.

Private message sent.
Thank you John. I responded. I appreciate the offer of help. I hope things improve for the better in Argentina. People need some patience which is sometimes difficult to have.

My aunt teacher at St. Andrews. I ask her and she write this below.

"Both Northlands and St. Andrew's are reputable educational institutions offering the IB curriculum, positioning their students well for admission to European universities. Alternatively, schools like Belgrano Day School and St. Brendan's adhere to the University of Cambridge CIE program, providing a robust international curriculum. However, if your aspirations lean towards non-UK universities, the IB program may present a more fitting option.

Disregard notions about the teachers' social background; international job postings attract a diverse pool of experienced applicants. Schools select candidates based on merit and job requirements. Contract teachers, appointed by bilingual schools, often fill strategic roles, such as Head of Science or Head of History, enhancing the overall educational standards.

While concrete statistics are unavailable, St. Andrew's likely boasts superior IB results. It's pertinent to note that their primary school operates independently from the secondary school, and ongoing campus relocation may impact the school's routine.

In navigating advice on living arrangements and school choices, it's crucial to distinguish between financial perspectives and practical realities. Opting for a prestigious private school, as you mentioned, ensures a comprehensive sports and academic curriculum, along with opportunities for diverse extracurricular activities like music and drama. Any perception of 'snobbishness' often stems from financial considerations rather than inherent qualities of the institution."
How could I have missed the deep layers of sophistication in the decision to hire teachers from England? It's clearly not a desperate attempt to mimic the aura of English "public schools" and bask in the illusion of superiority. I mean, who cares if the hired teachers have no real connection to such institutions? It's all about the image, darling.

And of course, Saint Andrews is a shining beacon of education, towering over the plebeian masses of other schools. Sure, there might be a tad bit of social pressure, but who wouldn't want their precious little ones to experience the exquisite taste of elitism early on? Because, you know, image is EVERYTHING in the hallowed halls of Argentina's educational scene.

But hey, if you're not sold on this pinnacle of sophistication, feel free to scour the educational landscape for alternatives. I'm sure there are other schools out there that are just as good (or maybe even better) without the burden of excessive elitism. Because who needs an environment that's a bit more normal? Normalcy is so overrated compared to the thrill of social pressure and a carefully curated image.

Well, let me tell you about this brilliant idea of importing teachers from the UK to Argentina. Because, you know, there's this massive shortage of teaching talent in Argentina, and we simply can't survive without the posh accents and tea-drinking expertise of our British counterparts. Ha, ha.

Sure, we've got plenty of qualified Argentine instructors who understand IB and IGCSE, but who needs them when you can have teachers from the land of eternal rain and royalty? I mean, yeah, these Brits are professionally qualified, but they've got this annoying habit of not sticking around for too long. Maybe it's the adjustment problems or maybe it's the allure of rain that never stops.

And let's not forget the grandiose expenses they bring along – higher salaries causing staff resentment, fancy housing, international air tickets, and whatnot. One headmistress even had the audacity to not work out, demanded a massive settlement, and left the school's finances crying in the corner.

But hey, it's all about that British status, right? I heard about this local teacher who was a total "bargain" for the school – married to an Argentine, looked expensive (whatever that means), and cost way less than those fancy Brits. But who cares about cost-effectiveness when you can have someone who gives your school that oh-so-important "status" by merely being British?

And let's not forget about the lack of diversity in these elite bilingual schools. Everyone's got money, and the focus is on social status and the superficial. Scholarships for the less privileged? What's that? Oh, and don't even get me started on the confusion between international and bilingual schools. Bilingual schools importing Brits, because, you know, they're practically the same as Lincoln, which is like a melting pot of cultures, but not really, because, well, it's complicated. But who cares? Tea, anyone?

How could I have missed the deep layers of sophistication in the decision to hire teachers from England? It's clearly not a desperate attempt to mimic the aura of English "public schools" and bask in the illusion of superiority. I mean, who cares if the hired teachers have no real connection to such institutions? It's all about the image, darling.

And of course, Saint Andrews is a shining beacon of education, towering over the plebeian masses of other schools. Sure, there might be a tad bit of social pressure, but who wouldn't want their precious little ones to experience the exquisite taste of elitism early on? Because, you know, image is EVERYTHING in the hallowed halls of Argentina's educational scene.

But hey, if you're not sold on this pinnacle of sophistication, feel free to scour the educational landscape for alternatives. I'm sure there are other schools out there that are just as good (or maybe even better) without the burden of excessive elitism. Because who needs an environment that's a bit more normal? Normalcy is so overrated compared to the thrill of social pressure and a carefully curated image.

Well, let me tell you about this brilliant idea of importing teachers from the UK to Argentina. Because, you know, there's this massive shortage of teaching talent in Argentina, and we simply can't survive without the posh accents and tea-drinking expertise of our British counterparts. Ha, ha.

Sure, we've got plenty of qualified Argentine instructors who understand IB and IGCSE, but who needs them when you can have teachers from the land of eternal rain and royalty? I mean, yeah, these Brits are professionally qualified, but they've got this annoying habit of not sticking around for too long. Maybe it's the adjustment problems or maybe it's the allure of rain that never stops.

And let's not forget the grandiose expenses they bring along – higher salaries causing staff resentment, fancy housing, international air tickets, and whatnot. One headmistress even had the audacity to not work out, demanded a massive settlement, and left the school's finances crying in the corner.

But hey, it's all about that British status, right? I heard about this local teacher who was a total "bargain" for the school – married to an Argentine, looked expensive (whatever that means), and cost way less than those fancy Brits. But who cares about cost-effectiveness when you can have someone who gives your school that oh-so-important "status" by merely being British?

And let's not forget about the lack of diversity in these elite bilingual schools. Everyone's got money, and the focus is on social status and the superficial. Scholarships for the less privileged? What's that? Oh, and don't even get me started on the confusion between international and bilingual schools. Bilingual schools importing Brits, because, you know, they're practically the same as Lincoln, which is like a melting pot of cultures, but not really, because, well, it's complicated. But who cares? Tea, anyone?
Might you kindly proffer specific instances of educational institutions that, in your estimation, exhibit a comparable degree of internationalism and academic excellence while potentially mitigating tendencies towards elitism? My primary concern lies in identifying schools of international standing that excel in delivering a superior standard of education. The classification of normalcy or elitism is, admittedly, a subjective matter, and thus, I am inclined towards an empirical examination of alternative institutions for comparative analysis. I would greatly appreciate your insights in this regard.

Might you kindly proffer specific instances of educational institutions that, in your estimation, exhibit a comparable degree of internationalism and academic excellence while potentially mitigating tendencies towards elitism? My primary concern lies in identifying schools of international standing that excel in delivering a superior standard of education. The classification of normalcy or elitism is, admittedly, a subjective matter, and thus, I am inclined towards an empirical examination of alternative institutions for comparative analysis. I would greatly appreciate your insights in this regard.
Oh, do allow me to clarify, darling. Saint Andrews and Northlands, let's not mince words, are hardly what one might generously classify as international schools. No, no, they fancy themselves as bilingual establishments, you see. Mere adherence to the IB or IGCSE curriculum does not magically confer international status upon them. A truly international institution, my dear, must boast a considerably cosmopolitan student body, not just a sprinkling of international students amidst the local populace.

These, I dare say, are essentially local schools, tailored for the indigenous elite, with, at best, a token nod to the international milieu. Of course, one cannot deny the exorbitant educational standards and facilities they purport to offer—quite the rarity in our provincial landscape.

Now, when one speaks of genuine international schools, establishments such as Lincoln and, to a lesser extent, BAICA, come to the fore. Please, don't mistake this for an endorsement; I am merely delineating distinctions. These institutions, unlike their bilingual counterparts, bask in the glory of a truly international ambiance.

For discerning parents, the task at hand is to peruse the educational landscape and appraise the offerings that align most harmoniously with their discerning needs. Despite the pervasive social snobbery enveloping the bilingual contenders, one must concede that, regrettably, they may yet represent the zenith of available options for those of discerning taste.

Oh, just a quick tidbit for you – there's the CIE exams by the University of Cambridge, accepted for international university admissions. My sister's little ones had a stint at St Hildas in Hurlingham, a bilingual school, and she wasrather chuffed with the teaching, especially in the pre-K classes.

Now, I won't deny there's sometimes a hint of "snobbery" in the private school scene, but let's face it, public schools in Argentina, barring a few exceptions, leave a lot to be desired. When you're eyeing a return to Europe or the USA, private schools pretty much become your only feasible option.

A nugget of wisdom from my parenting adventures: Living close to the school is a game-changer. Your kiddos' social life (brace yourself for an avalanche of parties and get-togethers) revolves around their gang of pals. Spare yourself the agony of long drives; trust me, it's worth it. By the way, those two schools you mentioned? Heard nothing but good things about them. Just thought I'd throw that in. Cheers!

PS. Lincoln School and BAICA are the only INTERNATIONAL schools in BA. Northlands and St Andrews are bilingual schools, not international - they cater to local people. Lincoln and BAICA are predominantly foreign.

An interesting piece of advice.

Healthcare prices have risen because the previous government did not allow private companies to raise prices. Mass transit prices have risen but they are still the cheapest in Latin America.

Gas prices have risen but they are still the cheapest in Latin America.

After more than 20 years of economic mismangement , we might get back to some sense of normality sometime soon.

For those seeking an international educational milieu sans the trappings of elitism, Lincoln School emerges as a commendable alternative. It has found favor among diplomats, transient in Argentina for finite durations. The unspoken yet palpable advantage of esteemed institutions like St. Andrews, Cardinal Newman, or St. Georges lies in the network cultivated; students forge connections with the progeny of the nation's elite. This subtle, societal currency carries enduring implications, influencing one's social standing, career prospects, and even marital considerations. In Argentina, the adage "it's not what you know, but who you went to school with" holds considerable weight, as friendships forged in elementary school frequently endure throughout a lifetime.

For those seeking an international educational milieu sans the trappings of elitism, Lincoln School emerges as a commendable alternative. It has found favor among diplomats, transient in Argentina for finite durations. The unspoken yet palpable advantage of esteemed institutions like St. Andrews, Cardinal Newman, or St. Georges lies in the network cultivated; students forge connections with the progeny of the nation's elite. This subtle, societal currency carries enduring implications, influencing one's social standing, career prospects, and even marital considerations. In Argentina, the adage "it's not what you know, but who you went to school with" holds considerable weight, as friendships forged in elementary school frequently endure throughout a lifetime.

Oh, absolutely, because let's be real – in the grand scheme of things in Argentina, elementary and secondary schools trump universities when it comes to life's fast track. Now, enter Lincoln, the apparent non-snobbish haven, unlike the oh-so-privileged St Andrews and Northlands – because, you know, the colossal fees at Lincoln are just pocket change.

Sure, Lincoln claims the international label, but let's not get too carried away. The leading bilingual schools in the limelight here? Well, they're just dripping with local charm. And for those yearning for the quintessential British private school experience, sorry to burst your bubble, but Lincoln is more about casual vibes. No uniforms, mate. It's like they took a leaf out of the U.S. public school playbook rather than the posh private school script. How quaint!

Oh, buckle up for the quirks of Lincoln, my friend:

1. So, get this – they're all about the American school calendar. Because, you know, why bother with the seasons that actually make sense in Argentina? Let's just do our own thing.

2. And brace yourself for a rollicking expat party! You'll be swimming in fellow expats, especially those on a brief rendezvous with Buenos Aires. I mean, when was the last time you bumped into a native Argentine family at Lincoln? It's like spotting a unicorn, I tell you!

Oh, buckle up for the quirks of Lincoln, my friend:

1. So, get this – they're all about the American school calendar. Because, you know, why bother with the seasons that actually make sense in Argentina? Let's just do our own thing.

2. And brace yourself for a rollicking expat party! You'll be swimming in fellow expats, especially those on a brief rendezvous with Buenos Aires. I mean, when was the last time you bumped into a native Argentine family at Lincoln? It's like spotting a unicorn, I tell you!
I have had the opportunity to engage with students from Lincoln whose familial backgrounds often exhibit a blend, typically characterized by one Argentine parent and the other American.

While I don't categorize myself as an expatriate, I've had the privilege of residing in the United States on two separate occasions – once for academic pursuits and subsequently while working with an international organization. My youngest, currently at the age of 9, commenced his educational journey at Belgrano Day School during kindergarten and the initial year of primary school. From year 3 onward, he has been enrolled at Northlands, a decision influenced by my relocation to Olivos in close proximity to the institution.

My satisfaction with Northlands is unequivocal. The school has demonstrated an exceptional understanding of my child, recognizing his individual interests and skills. Notably, the institution has maintained a genuine bilingual environment, evidenced by its leadership hailing from diverse English-speaking backgrounds, including South Africa and England. My child's English instructors, both in the past year and the current one, are of English origin, complemented by assistant staff from English-speaking nations.

The school's commitment to delivering a comprehensive education that encompasses music (with my child partaking in violin and trumpet), sports, and science devoid of specific religious leanings has been consistently commendable. Furthermore, Northlands has achieved excellent scores in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program.

While I acknowledge the financial investment required for enrollment, I firmly believe that allocating resources toward my child's education, as opposed to other expenditures, is a judicious choice. Northlands, in this context, emerges as the ideal selection for those who share a similar conviction. It is true that the school commands a certain expense, but for those prioritizing their child's educational enrichment, the decision to opt for Northlands finds resonance with like-minded individuals.

For those concerned about the socio-economic makeup of their child's future social circle, I assert that such considerations are subjective. Personally, I find great value in the diverse friendships cultivated at Northlands and consider it an integral aspect of the overall educational experience. My sincere aspiration is for all children in Argentina to access the caliber of education imparted by Northlands.

Just a heads up for fellow parents considering San Andres and Northland – they're not just about the English vibe. Proficiency in Spanish is a non-negotiable deal. They throw in obligatory national Argentine exams in subjects like Spanish Literature, and they mean business. I met an American whose wife was a Porteña and they moved here and the kids barely spoke Spanish. They thought they did but they did NOT. They couldn't hack it at those schools.

Now, don't expect them to handhold your kiddos through intensive Spanish lessons for newcomers. Nope, these schools are all about the bilingual life, assuming your kids stride in with a solid grasp of Spanish. The teachers, bless them, are good and caring, but let's be real – if your child isn't on par with the Spanish requirement, it might just end up being a tad frustrating for everyone involved. So, a little heads-up: Spanish is the name of the game at these joints, and it's a must.

@fetch rover did you decide to come down to Buenos Aires? If so, how did your move go?
No we did not finalize our decision. We came down to visit Buenos Aires last month but my kids did not like it much. I liked Recoleta very much but I was not too thrilled about other areas. They had very nice large houses in the suburbs but I felt it was too far outside of the City.

Ultimately, Exxon told us that they may be exiting from Argentina and we did not want to go through the hassle of making a long move and uprooting our kids if it is not for at least a year.

Back