Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

What are you favorite things about living in Buenos Aires as an Expat or living in Argentina if not living in BA?

Mitch

I used to come to Buenos Aires many times but then stopped over COVID but it sounds like things are back to normal now. I am selling my apartment in Madrid and thinking about moving to Buenos Aires.

I have so many things I love about Buenos Aires. It was very affordable and looks much cheaper now. I love that it's a large metropolitan area. Makes me feel like I am in Europe. The people have an attitude but I like it. Lots of diversity in food. Insane nightlife.

I used to come to Buenos Aires many times but then stopped over COVID but it sounds like things are back to normal now. I am selling my apartment in Madrid and thinking about moving to Buenos Aires.

I have so many things I love about Buenos Aires. It was very affordable and looks much cheaper now. I love that it's a large metropolitan area. Makes me feel like I am in Europe. The people have an attitude but I like it. Lots of diversity in food. Insane nightlife.

This is a great question. There isn't just one thing. Many, many things made me fall in love with Buenos Aires. I first was here during the corralito and I just fell in love with the city. I was amazed that in the midst of all the turmoil, people are very civilized here. To get your currency devalued by two-thirds and then close the banks and have a bank run and have people banging on pots and pans was incredible to me.

The way of life here was also amazing with a very late night city. I've had insomnia my entire life and the extremely late nights here I fell in love with. Just being able to walk outside and go eat at 1 AM or 2 AM or get an ice cream or drink was amazing. It still amazes me to this day.

I spent the past 3 decades traveling around the world to over 600 cities in 85+ countries and I still have yet to find a city that matches the energy and vibrancy of Buenos Aires. I was first single when I came to Buenos Aires and all the beautiful girls here didn't hurt either. I find the women here really beautiful.

People sometimes complain about the locals and say they aren't as friendly as other countries in Latin America. Yes and no on this issue. I've never had issues with locals. I'm always very friendly with them and I can hang out with any type of local. I don't care about their age, political party/stance, background or ethnicity. I am always one to believe that the world would be a boring place if we all thought and liked the same thing. I believe this goes with what is going on now too with the political and economic situation.

I love architecture and love all the beautiful buildings here. I love the various types of architecture as well. There are so many varieties. I've purchased literally over 800+ properties here over the past 22 years. I've built custom homes, built a hotel and now embarking on building my first residential tower. And I'm amazed at all the different types of architecture here.

When I first moved here there was a real lack of types of food. In the early 2000's it was mostly just steak/meat, pasta, pizza and some salads (with no dressing). But that's about it. In the past 25 years, there has been an explosion of different varieties of food. But it wasn't always like that. Before it was very bad. I love to see Buenos Aires evolving and improving over the past 22 years since I've been coming here.

I love big cosmopolitan cities like Buenos Aires because anything you need or want to do is here. I can go to a play or opera at Teatro Colón, which is one of the best concert halls in the world. I can go to a soccer match and nothing quite like going to one in Argentina or Brazil. I can jump on a plane and be in Brazil to great beaches in a few short hours. Concerts from A list of artists come to Buenos Aires. In short, just a ton of things to do here. You can't get that in many other Latin American cities around the world.

Sure, it helps being affordable but I would like Buenos Aires no matter how cheap/expensive it was. I have a lot of lifelong friends here. In fact, my best friend in the world, @Lucho lives here and he is like a brother to me. Nothing like going to an asado with your close inner circle of friends.

Buenos Aires just got under my skin over 20 years ago and I love it more today then I did my first visit.

This is a great question. There isn't just one thing. Many, many things made me fall in love with Buenos Aires. I first was here during the corralito and I just fell in love with the city. I was amazed that in the midst of all the turmoil, people are very civilized here. To get your currency devalued by two-thirds and then close the banks and have a bank run and have people banging on pots and pans was incredible to me.

The way of life here was also amazing with a very late night city. I've had insomnia my entire life and the extremely late nights here I fell in love with. Just being able to walk outside and go eat at 1 AM or 2 AM or get an ice cream or drink was amazing. It still amazes me to this day.

I spent the past 3 decades traveling around the world to over 600 cities in 85+ countries and I still have yet to find a city that matches the energy and vibrancy of Buenos Aires. I was first single when I came to Buenos Aires and all the beautiful girls here didn't hurt either. I find the women here really beautiful.

People sometimes complain about the locals and say they aren't as friendly as other countries in Latin America. Yes and no on this issue. I've never had issues with locals. I'm always very friendly with them and I can hang out with any type of local. I don't care about their age, political party/stance, background or ethnicity. I am always one to believe that the world would be a boring place if we all thought and liked the same thing. I believe this goes with what is going on now too with the political and economic situation.

I love architecture and love all the beautiful buildings here. I love the various types of architecture as well. There are so many varieties. I've purchased literally over 800+ properties here over the past 22 years. I've built custom homes, built a hotel and now embarking on building my first residential tower. And I'm amazed at all the different types of architecture here.

When I first moved here there was a real lack of types of food. In the early 2000's it was mostly just steak/meat, pasta, pizza and some salads (with no dressing). But that's about it. In the past 25 years, there has been an explosion of different varieties of food. But it wasn't always like that. Before it was very bad. I love to see Buenos Aires evolving and improving over the past 22 years since I've been coming here.

I love big cosmopolitan cities like Buenos Aires because anything you need or want to do is here. I can go to a play or opera at Teatro Colón, which is one of the best concert halls in the world. I can go to a soccer match and nothing quite like going to one in Argentina or Brazil. I can jump on a plane and be in Brazil to great beaches in a few short hours. Concerts from A list of artists come to Buenos Aires. In short, just a ton of things to do here. You can't get that in many other Latin American cities around the world.

Sure, it helps being affordable but I would like Buenos Aires no matter how cheap/expensive it was. I have a lot of lifelong friends here. In fact, my best friend in the world, @Lucho lives here and he is like a brother to me. Nothing like going to an asado with your close inner circle of friends.

Buenos Aires just got under my skin over 20 years ago and I love it more today then I did my first visit.
Are you sure you are American? You sure don't seem like it. Your love for Argentina shines through.

I have the same type of things. I love that it's a real city. Lots of things to do. Lots of energy. My wife's family is all here and mostly that is why we moved here. In the beginning I didn't want to move but now I miss it when I am gone.

I primarily moved because my husband is Argentine and his work is here. I was sad to leave my friends and especially my family to move here. But I am learning to enjoy Buenos Aires. Some things are still frustrating here but I love not having to get into a car driving. It is nice just walking everywhere too.

I go to the theatre, arts and cultural events here where I didn't back home. Not because I didn't want to but because it was simply too expensive! Here it is not expensive and prices are reasonable making it possible to do it on a weekly basis where back home it would be a luxury to go out to a play or opera event. Even a date night out to the theatre back home could be very expensive but here they are very affordable. Back in USA I haven't been to the cinema in ages. Here we go every new release. We are fortunate my husband's salary is in USD.

We try to do something on the weekend even if it's just to walk around the park in Palermo or go to Japanese Garden or do silly things like go to San Telmo on sundays even though it's like an episode of Groundhog's Day. Same thing each time but sometimes I find new stuff to buy.

Back home it seems like people live to work. Here it's different. Always something to do here. I never thought I would enjoy my husband's family so much but many weekends we do an asado in one of his family or friends and simple things like that are amazing.

sure you are American? You sure don't seem like it.
god you're a moron. and such a hateful piece of sh*t ... i was just about to comment that this is the most wholesome and helpful and positive thread i've seen on this forum so far, then i realized i hadn't clicked "Show Ignored Content" - and boom, like clockwork, the cancer that is @Avocado's negativity-riddled comments appears!

for me, Argentina beckoned because Milei had a fighting chance, and i had the opportunity to live as an Expat again after 5 years of not traveling (didn't want to risk being force to get the COVID 'vaccine' if i was crossing borders). i did 2 months in Mexico in 2018, 10 days in Costa Rica, and 3 weeks in Guatemala, then got stuck in the USA, so i made the most of it. but then, late 2023, it was looking like i could travel again! i was following various Libertarian pages and saw the La Libertad Avanza "ticket" - and i was sold on free markets and liberating the oppressed from tyrannical central planning.

i wanted to see this huge country; so much of it seems untouched. and when overlaid on a map of North America - Argentina is huge!! i've driven across a lot of the USA but damn, Argentina looks like its own planet. i decided to see the Inauguration in-person, and see what BsAs was like. 6 weeks in, i've ran just over 55 miles while exploring Villa Crespo, Palermo, Monserrat, San Telmo, Puerto Madero, Recoleta, and now Palermo Chico. primarily, i wanted to see if this place was livable, if i needed to live here for 7 months, 3 years in a row, to get citizenship. and aside from the food quality and a little bit of arrogance from a small (loud) minority of Peronist portenos, this place is huge and safe and dog-friendly and so much to do!

i would disagree with it being my first choice if i had to live in a city for the rest of my life, because for me that city is Prague, but it's definitely a place i would bring my family and friends to visit. that being said, the government has sapped all the economic options, so i'm literally stuck in CABA because only small dogs can ride on Remis/buses/trains, and flying is a bit hard, and rental cars at 1000-3000 USD per month and no way jose i'm paying that...but it's been fun to travel again. i like the challenge of overcoming obstacles as an Expat. one of my biggest complaints about some areas of Mexico, and Guatemala/Costa Rica/Peru/Chile was that it was hard to blend-in. Buenos Aires has that cosmopolitan feel like the USA, where you see every single ethnicity, religion (i walk by Orthodox Jews every Saturday with their little hats on!), skin color, and you heard English and Russian and Italian etc. spoken.

god you're a moron. and such a hateful piece of sh*t ... i was just about to comment that this is the most wholesome and helpful and positive thread i've seen on this forum so far, then i realized i hadn't clicked "Show Ignored Content" - and boom, like clockwork, the cancer that is @Avocado's negativity-riddled comments appears!

for me, Argentina beckoned because Milei had a fighting chance, and i had the opportunity to live as an Expat again after 5 years of not traveling (didn't want to risk being force to get the COVID 'vaccine' if i was crossing borders). i did 2 months in Mexico in 2018, 10 days in Costa Rica, and 3 weeks in Guatemala, then got stuck in the USA, so i made the most of it. but then, late 2023, it was looking like i could travel again! i was following various Libertarian pages and saw the La Libertad Avanza "ticket" - and i was sold on free markets and liberating the oppressed from tyrannical central planning.

i wanted to see this huge country; so much of it seems untouched. and when overlaid on a map of North America - Argentina is huge!! i've driven across a lot of the USA but damn, Argentina looks like its own planet. i decided to see the Inauguration in-person, and see what BsAs was like. 6 weeks in, i've ran just over 55 miles while exploring Villa Crespo, Palermo, Monserrat, San Telmo, Puerto Madero, Recoleta, and now Palermo Chico. primarily, i wanted to see if this place was livable, if i needed to live here for 7 months, 3 years in a row, to get citizenship. and aside from the food quality and a little bit of arrogance from a small (loud) minority of Peronist portenos, this place is huge and safe and dog-friendly and so much to do!

i would disagree with it being my first choice if i had to live in a city for the rest of my life, because for me that city is Prague, but it's definitely a place i would bring my family and friends to visit. that being said, the government has sapped all the economic options, so i'm literally stuck in CABA because only small dogs can ride on Remis/buses/trains, and flying is a bit hard, and rental cars at 1000-3000 USD per month and no way jose i'm paying that...but it's been fun to travel again. i like the challenge of overcoming obstacles as an Expat. one of my biggest complaints about some areas of Mexico, and Guatemala/Costa Rica/Peru/Chile was that it was hard to blend-in. Buenos Aires has that cosmopolitan feel like the USA, where you see every single ethnicity, religion (i walk by Orthodox Jews every Saturday with their little hats on!), skin color, and you heard English and Russian and Italian etc. spoken.
Liked much of your post but the first part of your post was confusing! @Avocado's post sounded like a compliment. Maybe I am missing something. But it was super confusing to read that.

I am not an expat or living here. Just a tourist on vacation but the city is great. I could definitely live here and I would consider it if I could work remote and make my salary in dollars and spend in Argentine pesos. The buck goes much further here.

One of my best experiences so far is taking tango lessons. Was fun going to a milonga!

I am not an expat but I just purchased an apartment in BA and will spend more time here now once I get my apartment. I will rent it out on Airbnb when I'm not here. My first visit was November 2023 and I loved it! I loved many things. My favorite memory was I went to an asado hosted by @Lucho and his friends. They hired a chef to cook for us and it was probably the best meal of my life.

There were a small group of friends and I was amazed how much they enjoy friendships here. It was the first night that I arrived. I was so tired as I flew in that day. But @earlyretirement took me to get a 4-handed massage that day with 2 masseuses when I arrived. It was less than $20 US! I felt refreshed and fell asleep during my massage.

After we finished an asado, it was already 2 AM by the time we finished. I was exhausted but then earlyretirement asked me if I wanted to grab a drink. It was 2 AM and we went to Recoleta and I was shocked to see people still eating pizza outside at 2 AM! Like it was normal. The energy of the city is contagious! Probably my favorite thing.

Liked much of your post but the first part of your post was confusing! @Avocado's post sounded like a compliment. Maybe I am missing something. But it was super confusing to read that.

I am not an expat or living here. Just a tourist on vacation but the city is great. I could definitely live here and I would consider it if I could work remote and make my salary in dollars and spend in Argentine pesos. The buck goes much further here.

One of my best experiences so far is taking tango lessons. Was fun going to a milonga!
Thank you @Katyx! You will find @StatusNomadicus is a very disturbed person. He is fowl mouthed and will destroy a very nice thread with his hatred and poor language. I was being kind in my post. I have kind of a dry sense of humor but you got my joke and I was being very complimentary of the post. I always love people that are thoughtful and love Argentina for the right reasons! Not just for cheap food like some expat people!

I don't know how someone can show so much hatred for a nice post that I make.

I didn't think I would like BA as much as I have. It's truly amazing. One week has extended out to 1 month. There is so much to love about the city. I loved going around to all the ferias and thrifting. I found some great finds each weekend at San Telmo, Recoleta Cemetary weekend fairs and Plaza Serrano.

I also have enjoyed the architecture and the museums. Neverending list of stuff to do here.

Avocado's post sounded like a compliment.
only if you are anti-USA, i suppose. depends what your politics are, and if you're xenophobic and resentful 24/7 like our local three Peronists on this forum. "Are you sure you are American? You sure don't seem like it. Your love for Argentina shines through." if we break-down this writing, it can be summarized as:

1. A slight joke about doubting earlyretirement's country of birth (USA), implying that he is too ______ to be an estadounidense.
2. An implication that USA Expats are unlike earlyretirement, which means they are usually the opposite of earlyretirement.
3. Since Avocado likes earlyretirement's writing and opinions of Buenos Aires, the final slander of USA Expats is that they aren't well-written, don't actually love Buenos Aires, and don't contribute to this forum or Argentina.

stick around @Katyx and you will see that zero of Avocado's posts are positive...especially note the foreigner-hatred and xenophobia, mixed-in with the very good-versus-evil political stances where "everything Milei does is bad" - which I have diagnosed as the first case of Milei Derangement Syndrome to be fully documented :p there is always a victimhood narrative, even though Avocado will be the first one to slander other nationalities. there is no doubt that the "Expats are bad because they only care about cheap food in Buenos Aires" is part of a bigger resentment of anyone that isn't part of Avocado's 'tribe' - a tribe of Peronists that has taken BsAs from the Paris of South America to having 50% poverty levels and 1% daily inflation. this wasn't a harmless joke, but just one more silly attack on Expats...on an Expat forum nonetheless!

only if you are anti-USA, i suppose. depends what your politics are, and if you're xenophobic and resentful 24/7 like our local three Peronists on this forum. "Are you sure you are American? You sure don't seem like it. Your love for Argentina shines through." if we break-down this writing, it can be summarized as:

1. A slight joke about doubting earlyretirement's country of birth (USA), implying that he is too ______ to be an estadounidense.
2. An implication that USA Expats are unlike earlyretirement, which means they are usually the opposite of earlyretirement.
3. Since Avocado likes earlyretirement's writing and opinions of Buenos Aires, the final slander of USA Expats is that they aren't well-written, don't actually love Buenos Aires, and don't contribute to this forum or Argentina.

stick around @Katyx and you will see that zero of Avocado's posts are positive...especially note the foreigner-hatred and xenophobia, mixed-in with the very good-versus-evil political stances where "everything Milei does is bad" - which I have diagnosed as the first case of Milei Derangement Syndrome to be fully documented :p there is always a victimhood narrative, even though Avocado will be the first one to slander other nationalities. there is no doubt that the "Expats are bad because they only care about cheap food in Buenos Aires" is part of a bigger resentment of anyone that isn't part of Avocado's 'tribe' - a tribe of Peronists that has taken BsAs from the Paris of South America to having 50% poverty levels and 1% daily inflation. this wasn't a harmless joke, but just one more silly attack on Expats...on an Expat forum nonetheless!
I'm new to forum so did not read all the posts but it sounds like you two have bad blood between you which is a shame. Good vibes in the thread besides the fighting.

I really love all the events that go on. I agree about going to cinema here. Back home it is too expensive but I used to love going to movies at the cinema and got used to skip it during Covid but so cheap here. Love going into actual bookshops here. Love all the restaurants and distinct neighborhoods which all feel vividly different. Love how everyone gets along here well even though they are from different backgrounds. I notice a lot of South Americans are living here from other countries. Many taxi drivers and Uber drivers have been from other places.

I originally came because my spouse is Argentine but I have fallen in love with the city and the people and way of life here. Very safe for a city of it's size. Almost impossible to find this safety with such a bad economy. Always something to do. Traffic is not too bad at all except rush hour which you can manage to avoid if you can time it.

Lots of parks here. City well planned and laid out well. You can find just about anything you need or want here.

Easy to get around with lots of transportation options in all price ranges.

I love that I can have such different experiences everyday. For example, last weekend I did this Gaucho Day Tour -

The next weekend I did this foodie tour -

Then I took a tango lesson. Each weekend I take myself out of my comfort zone and do something unique.

Of course I love all the wonderful and affordable wine and quick access to Mendoza and San Rafael and all the wonderful restaurants!

Back