Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

What happens if Argentina gets too expensive? What are alternative cities/countries to move to when it's overpriced in Argentina?

Spot on target! I still remember the first asado that I got invited to over 2 decades ago in Buenos Aires. It was one of the things that made me fall in love with Buenos Aires. I've visited almost 600 cities around 85 countries but I have yet to find the bond and love of food and friends that one will experience in an authentic Argentine Asado amongst friends.

Every time I travel to Buenos Aires with a friend or client, I always make sure they get a chance to experience an authentic Asado and they also fall in love with the country.

It was great to introduce you to your first Asado @Johnny. As you saw, my friends became your friends and that will be the first of many. Can't wait to see you later this year back in Buenos Aires. We will arrange another Asado.

Also, there is much talk of Buenos Aires getting too expensive. I think much of where you decide to make your "home" has to have more factored into it vs. just being a cheap place. I've traveled to a lot of places around the world myself and also with my family. The place where you call home you should really enjoy spending time in. I never fell in love because it was just a cheap place that was affordable. All the reasons why I first fell in love with the city still come into play. I realize many people have to live in a place they can afford, but you have to be careful in only looking at dollars and cents.

Buenos Aires is a very special place full of wonderful people. I think about the brutal conditions of when I first was there and after I moved there after the corralito. People got over tough times and they will again. It's this ability to be so resilient that makes me love the country so much. As I read various posts on this forum. Some for anti-Milei and some pro-Milei, one thing we ALL have in common is our true love and passion for Argentina and we all want to see the best for this country.
I love how much you love Argentina. It always amazes me how much people love my country. ❤️

That is the difference here in Argentina vs the United States. Many of my American friends mainly think of their house as an investment. Here all my friends look at our homes as a place to live not only now but also the future.
Exactly 100% correct. Too many people in the USA look at their primary homes as an "investment" when they shouldn't necessarily look at it that way. It should be looked at as a place to live the rest of their lives. Sure, you could sell it and buy something else with it. And many do that. But everyone, until you die needs a roof over their heads and a place to call home.

If you own multiple properties then you can look at additional properties as investment properties but I always like to think of my primary residence as "home". All Argentines I know look at their apartments/homes the same way. They don't focus on some theoretical value on paper. They just look at it as a safe place that is theirs and always will be theirs until they sell it. I think that is a healthy way to look at your primary residence.

How does what you pay here for your health insurance with what you'd pay in the States?
Well I haven't checked the price lately but several years ago I looked into the cost for private health insurance and it was very expensive. The first year after I quite my job I got COBRA coverage and it was discounted as my employer was a large company and I paid the rate they were paying. But then it jumped up. I had a prior health issue and not sure if that would affect the price now. But I believe it was around $650 USD per month back several years ago and I am sure the cost has probably jumped up.

Now I pay around $600 USD per month which drastically went up but I am hoping it goes back down to around $295 which is what I was paying in September but I am not holding my breath. I don't think prices will go that low again even though the government said prices will get rolled back. My bill did not go up last month but it did not go back down.

Now I pay around $575 USD per month which drastically went up but I am hoping it goes back down to around $300 which is what I was paying in September.

Hopefully it does, yes. I found an online calculator and it looks like it would cost us (two adults, family plan) close to $700/month plus just under 20K out of pocket limit. But that seems a bit low, compared to 2022 prices. I wonder how much people on Medicare pay this year.

Hopefully it does, yes. I found an online calculator and it looks like it would cost us (two adults, family plan) close to $700/month plus just under 20K out of pocket limit. But that seems a bit low, compared to 2022 prices. I wonder how much people on Medicare pay this year.
I am not sure how much my plan would cost in the US now. I know costs keep going up there and doctors and facilities never want to pay for anything plus out of pocket costs. Much of Latin America has excellent health coverage at reasonable rates.

I saw this post on X. Wow, This doesn't sound like that much food and $60 USD. Prices sure have gone up since last Fall.

Unfortunately prices have doubled from last year. That probably is a nice restaurant but it isn't cheap to dine out anymore by local standards. But I can promise you that the same thing in big cities in the USA is going to be much more than $60 bucks.

Maybe you and your friends could go to salta together. It is a fantastic place. I don't think I would live there, but it is great for a vacation. And you get to meet people from Argentina's interior, very different and very nice, warm people.
Salta is very beautiful but if you like big cities then it may get boring after a few days. I have friends that enjoy living there but they like smaller cities. Great food there!

Maybe you and your friends could go to salta together. It is a fantastic place. I don't think I would live there, but it is great for a vacation. And you get to meet people from Argentina's interior, very different and very nice, warm people.
I have met a few people that are from other provinces and they seem much more patient, much calmer and friendlier than Porteños. I have traveled around Latin America a bit and I actually find people much warmer in other countries vs. Buenos Aires. Not to say they are not nice here but overall people are not as friendly but it might be the tough economy.

Salta is very beautiful but if you like big cities then it may get boring after a few days. I have friends that enjoy living there but they like smaller cities. Great food there!
I hear Salta the food typically are spicier too, a complaint many have about the lack of in BA.

I will have to check it out! Yes my complain about Argentine food is it's very bland. It doesn't have much seasoning at all besides salt.

Guys, but that happens all over Europe and many parts of Asia, as well.

The food of a country is what its people like. Most Argentines like their food mild. The northwestern provinces have very hot weather, a completely different climate, it makes sense that their diet would also be different. The rest of Argentina has moderate and cold climate and the food is very European.

Back