Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

What is the best Steak to order in Argentine restaurant?

Ah the age old question! You will get a different answer from different people. It's hard to go wrong and it's good to try different cuts. The most popular that you will see most people ordering are:

Bife de Lomo (Tenderloin)
Bife de Costilla con Lomo (TBone)
Asado de Tira (Short ribs)
Entraña (Skirt steak)
Ojo de Bife (Rib eye)
Vacio (Flank)
Bife Angosto (Striploin)

All are delicious but different.

Agree with Betsy. All are really tasty. Some have more fat. Some more flavor. This is a great website to read a little about the beef here.

Bife de Chorizo is also great. Sirloin steak.

Call me crazy but I actually find at premium steak houses in the USA, the taste is much better in the USA. Definitely pricey but I like the taste better although I may be in minority. Anyone else?
You aren't crazy. Everytime I got to Dallas to visit friends or for work, I try a new steakhouse and most of the places there like Bob's Chophouse taste better to me. They are expensive. Argentina used to have better steaks when they were grass-fed but besides a few places I think the quality has gone down hill over the years except at very expensive places like Don Julio which is good but expensive.

I'm still planning on coming to Buenos Aires in July. What is the best cut of steak to order at a restaurant? I'm coming with a friend that loves steaks but I heard the cuts of steak there are different vs. the US?

Thanks.
When I was there I had what the waiter/waitresses recommended. Especially after a couple times I tried to order the ojo de bife(ribeye which I usually get in the US) but was steered to the bife de chorizo. Maybe it was restaurant specific thing, and it was really good too.

My girlfriend has a BBQ grill at her apartment rooftop. I attempted to grill the other day and I followed this recipe and it turned out very nice! I also love Rib eye the best.

Nice! I bought an Argentine cook book called Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentina Way that I need to put to use soon. It has great reviews and the worst part is I've been spending more time reading the reviews than the actual book :)

When I was there I had what the waiter/waitresses recommended. Especially after a couple times I tried to order the ojo de bife(ribeye which I usually get in the US) but was steered to the bife de chorizo. Maybe it was restaurant specific thing, and it was really good too.
Yeah I really love the Bife de Chorizo too. Honestly I haven't had a bad cut of beef here. What restaurant was it? Do you remember @FuturoBA ?

I'm fond of cooking steak with this cast iron skillet method.

Thanks! I'll try it as I don't have a grill in my apartment.
Nice! I bought an Argentine cook book called Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentina Way that I need to put to use soon. It has great reviews and the worst part is I've been spending more time reading the reviews than the actual book :)
Will check that cook book. Thanks. Funny I never liked cooking at home but here it is so much cheaper cooking and food taste better. Or maybe it's the thought of saving the money and doing it myself. Still not too bad compared to home but dining out has doubled in price since I got here late last year.

Yeah I really love the Bife de Chorizo too. Honestly I haven't had a bad cut of beef here. What restaurant was it? Do you remember @FuturoBA ?

Thanks! I'll try it as I don't have a grill in my apartment.

Will check that cook book. Thanks. Funny I never liked cooking at home but here it is so much cheaper cooking and food taste better. Or maybe it's the thought of saving the money and doing it myself. Still not too bad compared to home but dining out has doubled in price since I got here late last year.
I don't remember. It was the first place I went when I landed and again in Bariloche when I went next door to the place i planned bc the first didn't take credit card.

Cooking is a great way to save money and I find I enjoy it more knowing I made it even when I screw up, I can convince myself I can still eat it and convince myself it wasn't that bad :) But something simple for those that don't cook much is get an instant pot pressure cooker, easy to use and since you can control the ingredients can be much healthier too. Added benefit is get a good sized one and meal prep once or twice a week if you're short for time.

I don't remember. It was the first place I went when I landed and again in Bariloche when I went next door to the place i planned bc the first didn't take credit card.

Cooking is a great way to save money and I find I enjoy it more knowing I made it even when I screw up, I can convince myself I can still eat it and convince myself it wasn't that bad :) But something simple for those that don't cook much is get an instant pot pressure cooker, easy to use and since you can control the ingredients can be much healthier too. Added benefit is get a good sized one and meal prep once or twice a week if you're short for time.
My friend swears by an instant pot cooker. I will have to try it.

Ah the age old question! You will get a different answer from different people. It's hard to go wrong and it's good to try different cuts. The most popular that you will see most people ordering are:

Bife de Lomo (Tenderloin)
Bife de Costilla con Lomo (TBone)
Asado de Tira (Short ribs)
Entraña (Skirt steak)
Ojo de Bife (Rib eye)
Vacio (Flank)
Bife Angosto (Striploin)

All are delicious but different.
Bife de Costilla con Lomo is amazing. I had in Don Julio last week and delicious. Amazing that place continue to always be full. Prices very expensive but enough for 2 people.

Back