Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

What is the future of the Art and Cinema world under President Milei with all the funding cuts?

I concur with the notion that compromise is an essential element in governance.
The possibility of Milei's presidency lasting only four months could be contingent on various factors within the framework of constitutional democracy. Unlike historical instances where military intervention led to leadership changes, contemporary democratic systems rely on legal and institutional mechanisms for the removal of a sitting president.

The removal of a president typically adheres to constitutional procedures, which might include impeachment processes initiated in response to allegations of misconduct, constitutional violations, or other legal infractions. Such proceedings involve a thorough examination of evidence and a legislative decision-making process.

It is crucial to recognize that speculations regarding the potential brevity of Milei's presidency are speculative in nature and depend on the unfolding dynamics of Argentine politics. The robust legal and constitutional framework in place governs the stability and tenure of elected leaders, contributing to a more predictable and regulated political landscape.
Oh, the path to glory, or should I say, the darkest way? Picture this epic journey: you decide to spice things up by stirring massive social unrest. Police chiefs, those loyal pals, start ditching ship faster than you can say "political liability." The army? Well, they've got a front-row seat to chaos but suddenly realize they're equipped with a whole lot of nothing. Your political allies, those ride-or-die buddies, decide it's time for a solo act.

So, here you are, basking in the glory of zero executive power, a side dish of zilch legislative power, and the cherry on top – immense pressure that makes Everest look like a gentle slope. You're practically a celebrity, surrounded by vultures eager to snatch up the remains. Resignation becomes your favorite word, either voluntarily or with the mob knocking on your door, ready for a not-so-friendly chat. Ah, the perks of taking the darkest way to political stardom!

Lest you not forget after the corralito there were 5 Presidents in the span of 12 DAYS. I see Milei as no different. Heck, he won't even be able to find any females for his tantric threesomes. Although he does have his 5 dogs.....

Well, sure, anything's possible in the wild world of politics, but this four-month Milei marathon seems a bit out there, doesn't it? Time's the ultimate storyteller, I guess.
But between you and me, I'm crossing my fingers for a touch of sanity, especially when it comes to arts funding. Let's hope the budgetary chopping block doesn't get too carried away with its artistic vendetta. After all, a little cultural flair never hurt anyone, right?

This cultural annihilation is downright unforgivable! Coupled with all the other havoc wreaked upon us, it's reaching a point of utter impossibility for most Argentinians. Mark my words – this government won't last its term. It's a sinking ship, and we're not here for the whole ride. I say in 6 months he will resign.

Ah, Milei and his fellow fiscal conservatives – they're like the anti-art crusaders, wielding their budgetary swords without a care for the existential magic of the arts. Prestige, international recognition, tourism dollars – it's like they missed the memo on the secret sauce for a nation's success!

And cue the interview with Paloma Herrera – it's basically a front-row seat to the circus of ridiculous labor laws. I mean, come on, it's high time someone grabbed the reform wand and started swishing it over these absurd regulations. Milei, buddy, focus your laser beams on the real villain – the outdated labor laws. It's like trying to fix a leaky faucet by redecorating the entire house. Let's get real and tackle the root of the problem!
Is it true that the Unions wanted Paloma Herrera to use 60-year-old ballet dancers?

Could only happen in Argentina, i suppose.

This cultural annihilation is downright unforgivable! Coupled with all the other havoc wreaked upon us, it's reaching a point of utter impossibility for most Argentinians. Mark my words – this government won't last its term. It's a sinking ship, and we're not here for the whole ride. I say in 6 months he will resign.
I totally agree. It's very important for society.

the Teatro Colon significantly enhances the image of both the city and the nation
and private ownership would certainly make it more profitable and better-maintained :)
The answer doesn't lie in their elimination but in holding them accountable
nah, just sell 'em like Aerolineas Argentinas. the market knows what to do

"Less Rules, More Utopia." Personally, I think the world's a bit like a complicated puzzle, and compromise is the only glue that holds it together. But hey, who needs compromise when you've got ideology, right?
you miss the entire premise of the Invisible Hand; there are so many nuances and 7 billion decisions being made every second, that no central-planner can ever account for. the decisions all add-up to be what the market dictates, without government intervention choosing winners and losers. show me you have no clue what Libertarianism is, without explicitly saying so @All the Answers ;)

it seems our dear Milei is on a mission to slash and burn through all things artsy
keep the public pet-projects, or liberate the drowned economy...you can't have both. government should stay out of almost everything, other than the protection of Natural Rights. anything else is just someone's personal pet-project that someone else will say is necessary or not. 100% de-regulation is the goal, which includes "art"

a little cultural flair never hurt anyone, right?
well, you could argue the same thing for the Women and Diversity and Inclusion department of the made-up-agency name. but in the end, if there is a need for cultural flair, private organizations and individuals will contribute. gov't has no role for picking its favorite things.

Every country I know supports its arts because cultural offerings are crucial for society and tourism. If everything is destroyed in the name of "no hay plata" (there is no money), it will only lead to more economic pain and no growth. In 8 months, tourism will drop, making Argentina too expensive for foreigners, and with fewer attractions, it won't be as appealing. Comparing Argentina to being like Ireland in 45 years seems crazy. Japan and Germany, both fully destroyed after World War II, became the richest countries in Europe and Asia in just 10 years. There's massive suffering on the streets now, worse than a few months ago under Alberto.

The previous government, as bad as it was, kept things in check with prices for essential items. With inflation at 25% per month and harsh spending cuts, this will end very badly for the people of Argentina!

I do not think that Milei will finish his term. I think the people will force him out of office within the next 12 months.

Every country I know supports its arts because cultural offerings are crucial for society and tourism. If everything is destroyed in the name of "no hay plata" (there is no money), it will only lead to more economic pain and no growth. In 8 months, tourism will drop, making Argentina too expensive for foreigners, and with fewer attractions, it won't be as appealing. Comparing Argentina to being like Ireland in 45 years seems crazy. Japan and Germany, both fully destroyed after World War II, became the richest countries in Europe and Asia in just 10 years. There's massive suffering on the streets now, worse than a few months ago under Alberto.

The previous government, as bad as it was, kept things in check with prices for essential items. With inflation at 25% per month and harsh spending cuts, this will end very badly for the people of Argentina!

I do not think that Milei will finish his term. I think the people will force him out of office within the next 12 months.
I agree with you my friend. This will end badly and after they kick him out thank God we will be CFK forever.

Is there a way to remove a leader from office in Argentina? Can Congress or Senate kick someone out just because they don't like him, even if he didn't break any laws?
Of course! The people can force out. Look at corralito. We have many Presidents in few days. We can do the same. Power to the people.

Government is not thinking. It not just about dollars and cents. Funding of arts by the government is very good and positive for all. No one is using their brain. Just counting pesos which is not smart.

Of course! The people can force out. Look at corralito. We have many Presidents in few days. We can do the same. Power to the people.

Government is not thinking. It not just about dollars and cents. Funding of arts by the government is very good and positive for all. No one is using their brain. Just counting pesos which is not smart.
I'm sure you want this to happen Avocado. You and your Peronista friends will be marching to the beat of this anthem with posters of CFK.

Many actors and many in the film industry against Milei's plan to scrap the INCAA. Many of the best films are INCAA films. You can't measure things sometimes only in dollar and cents.

I like INCAA flicks as much as anyone else but why should a country that has extremely high poverty rates financing comedies and other chick flicks? It's not in the country's best interest to spend money on this when it is so broke. That is Milei's point. I'm not sure how anyone can argue otherwise. It's all about priorities.

I like INCAA flicks as much as anyone else but why should a country that has extremely high poverty rates financing comedies and other chick flicks? It's not in the country's best interest to spend money on this when it is so broke. That is Milei's point. I'm not sure how anyone can argue otherwise. It's all about priorities.
I agree with this. I do enjoy INCAA films but at what cost? I agree you have to cut out things you can't afford and making films is not at the top of my list.

Many actors and many in the film industry against Milei's plan to scrap the INCAA. Many of the best films are INCAA films. You can't measure things sometimes only in dollar and cents.

I agree you can't always measure things in dollar and cents. I'm all for the government supporting the arts. Plenty of other things to cut back on.

The utter destruction of our culture in the name of "no hay plata" is turning Argentina into a backward mess in Latin America! Our film industry, which is the best in Latin America, brings in massive benefits to society and its people. Numerous Argentine films have clinched international awards, putting this country on the map. This nonsense needs to stop before we lose everything that makes us great!

Back