Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink What is up with high prices of fast food prices?

Jerry Nelson

Last night, I found myself on a late dinner quest, having finished my latest novel and a little insomnia.

Around 10pm, while returning from the ATM, I strolled up Tribunales and stole a glance into McDonald's. A cursory look suggested that all the substantial burgers were priced between 3600-4500 pesos, with a sizable crowd of 35-40 people waiting. Shaking my head in disbelief, I continued north toward the tracks and peered into Mostaza. Prices were even higher there, and the crowd was notably thinner. Grumbling to myself, I made my way home and opted for my preferred neighborhood café.

I indulged in a complete hamburger, adorned with lettuce, tomato, ham, cheese, and an egg. Accompanying it was a generous serving of fresh fries, complemented by a large glass of red wine, a substantial bottle of sparkling water, and a decadent bombon suizo (ice cream drenched in chocolate) for dessert. Additionally, they brought me bread and excellent berenjena en escabeche to enjoy with my wine while awaiting the burger. The bill came to only 5000 pesos, and I left a 1000-peso tip for the waitress.

I couldn't help but wonder why are all of these people in line for nasty McDonalds? And it's even expensive.

Like most things in Argentina, inflation has a factor in the prices.

The starting salary will be increased for fast food workers in January - https://www.iprofesional.com/negoci...ara-empleados-de-mcdonalds-cobran-casi-600000

Everyone is part of a union in Argentina. Most jobs fall in some union. McDonalds specifically had been very cheap until the PASO and then it's back to around $4 US for a combo meal for their signature combo items. That's the best deal. My out of town brother wanted to come here for familiarity and he ordered a non-combo item and it was very expensive just getting 3 plain hamburgers and a fries. It was like $9 US! The combo meals are the best value.

People here seem to love McDonalds even though it's garbage for some reason. It's always crowded. Go to the Recoleta Village location and it's always swamped.

I think with all the misery people like to imagine they are in another country. It doesn't make sense the prices for how expensive that is for what you get in relation to steak or something good. But the locals maybe get tired of the same old same old daily and feel like McDonald's is a treat. Ironic.

The indisputable reality persists: the continuous devaluation of the peso is causing prices to rise. I consistently convert everything into dollars, a habit I've steadfastly retained. While it may not be the optimal approach, it's a strategy that aids me in sustaining a semblance of financial stability.

Hey guys, here's a random interjection. I've only been here a month and before leaving North Carolina, US I went to McDonalds since we were busy packing and moving stuff to the storage unit. I was floored! $15. A meal was 15 bucks! I don't think it's been all that long since I went previously, but I know it wasn't anywhere close to $15. For some reason in my mind meals were about 6 dollars. Needless to say we're incredibly appreciative of the prices here...and the quality of food.

Hey guys, here's a random interjection. I've only been here a month and before leaving North Carolina, US I went to McDonalds since we were busy packing and moving stuff to the storage unit. I was floored! $15. A meal was 15 bucks! I don't think it's been all that long since I went previously, but I know it wasn't anywhere close to $15. For some reason in my mind meals were about 6 dollars. Needless to say we're incredibly appreciative of the prices here...and the quality of food.
I can't believe the prices at McDonalds. It's been a while since I was here but it's gotten a lot more expensive. A Big Mac extra value meal with large drink was almost $10 USD.

I can't believe the prices at McDonalds. It's been a while since I was here but it's gotten a lot more expensive. A Big Mac extra value meal with large drink was almost $10 USD.
It still blows my mind that locals pay crazy McDonald's prices. You can get a totally decent asado or great meal for the same price as a Big Mac meal. Nuts!

Wow that doesn't sound cheap to me. I assumed prices would be lower. $10 USD for a Big Mac meal isn't too much lower than here in the USA.
@Jenn somethings are a much better deal than others. Fast food places like McDonald's aren't typically a good deal at all. You can easily see the prices of things in the grocery store or restaurants by downloading the Rappi App. If you live there you will definitely want to have Rappi anyway and I recommend signing up for the Rappi Pro. It's super cheap and you get unlimited free deliveries on all your orders.

You will see some oddball things like $10 USD (9,280 peso) Subway sandwiches which is just a little lower than in the USA. I'm not sure how those places are staying in business. I can't imagine too many locals are ordering $10 USD sandwiches and utility rates are going up about 300% so many of these places will keep having more expenses.

You can also see for the same price you can get a steak at some places.

@Jenn somethings are a much better deal than others. Fast food places like McDonald's aren't typically a good deal at all. You can easily see the prices of things in the grocery store or restaurants by downloading the Rappi App. If you live there you will definitely want to have Rappi anyway and I recommend signing up for the Rappi Pro. It's super cheap and you get unlimited free deliveries on all your orders.

You will see some oddball things like $10 USD (9,280 peso) Subway sandwiches which is just a little lower than in the USA. I'm not sure how those places are staying in business. I can't imagine too many locals are ordering $10 USD sandwiches and utility rates are going up about 300% so many of these places will keep having more expenses.

You can also see for the same price you can get a steak at some places.
I never understood locals wanting to spend so much money at fast food places like McDonalds or Subway when you can get a totally decent real meal for the same price. People say how bad the economy is but I see the McDonalds near my place in Palermo always packed with people buying junk food.

Back