Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Where can I find the most affordable coat for Patagonia in Buenos Aires?

JMK

Hello everyone! I'm heading to Patagonia at the end of this month, including Ushuaia, and I'm in need of a coat. I've heard that buying one in Patagonia can be more expensive, so I'm looking for recommendations on affordable stores in Buenos Aires or online. My budget for a coat is around $80, and I'd appreciate any advice on where I can find a reasonably priced one. Thanks!

Clothing in Argentina tends to be quite pricey, and since it's currently the summer season in Buenos Aires, finding winter clothes in stores might be challenging. One option is to explore the outlet stores in Villa Crespo, particularly around Cordoba & Scalabrini or Aguirre & Gurruchaga. If you're willing to venture a bit further, there's also a clothing area in Flores around Avellaneda & Nazca.

It would be advisable to purchase or order the coat online before your trip, ensuring it gets delivered to your home address while you're still there. This way, you can benefit from a wider selection and potentially better prices compared to what might be available in Patagonia.

Check eBay for a pre-owned Quark or Lindblad jacket, as many individuals sell them upon returning from polar expeditions. Alternatively, you can explore stores in Ushuaia for available options.

Consider checking Mercado Libre to save time instead of visiting physical shops. I just conducted a search for 'campera' on the platform, and numerous options with next-day delivery are available. Keep in mind that clothing in Buenos Aires follows a hyper-seasonal trend, making it challenging to find coats during the summer.

Just an FYI my friend was in this similar situation and the hotel he stayed at was kind enough to order it for him on Mercado Libre. He just paid them back. So ask your hotel or Airbnb owner and maybe seem willing to do this sort of thing. My friend said many things only took less than 24 hours to get it.

Back