Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Which color bus do you prefer for the Hop-On Hop-Off service: red or yellow?

jesicam

I want to take a bus tour and I was wondering wich bus is better for the Hop-On Hop-Off service: the yellow one or the red one?

In November 2022, I opted for the yellow bus and had a positive experience. I recommend starting early in the day to allow sufficient time for hopping on and off. The bus journey may not offer the best views in some places, so beginning early ensures you can explore more. It's a 3-hour ride without disembarking, and starting later in the day might limit your ability to do so. I suggest using the Hop-On Hop-Off service on the first or second day to gain an overview of the city. Personally, I found walking and using public transit more enjoyable during my three-week stay, but for those with limited time, the bus tour is likely a worthwhile investment. I can't speak for the red bus, but based on the recommendation of a trustworthy Argentine I met, I chose the yellow bus.

For those seeking a city overview using these buses, it's advisable to stay on the bus for the entire tour initially. Once you've familiarized yourself with the different areas, consider returning to specific locations for a more in-depth visit. The challenge with the hop-on/hop-off feature lies in the irregular schedules and potential lack of space on the buses. However, for visitors with limited time, like those on a short shore excursion, it remains a cost-effective way to explore the city.

Braitonj's advice is excellent. We followed his recommendation last week and stayed on the bus for the entire tour, then returned via taxi.

Opted for the yellow bus yesteray. Despite the gorgeous weather, they declined to open the roof. Disappointing! The red buses, however, had their roofs open.
Consider taking the red bus!

Buenos Aires boasts an exceptional bus system, one of the best I've encountered. It's speedy, frequent, and efficient, with clean and often air-conditioned buses. Most passengers display excellent transit etiquette, and the well-marked and orderly bus stops contribute to the system's overall efficiency. Remarkably economical, our most expensive ride in three weeks was 95 ARS, in stark contrast to the 30,000 ARS for the HOHO (Hop-On Hop-Off) option.
Having explored everywhere from Villa Urquiza to San Telmo over the past three weeks, we've found the bus system to be a reliable means of transportation. Each ride provides a visual tour of the city, taking us precisely where we want to go. It's not just a means to an end; it's an experience in itself.
I understand that different travelers have their preferences, which is completely fine. However, if there's a city where the municipal bus system is worth considering instead of the Hop-On Hop-Off option, Buenos Aires is that city.

We thought about using the hop-on-hop-off bus but opted for a local approach. We purchased a Sube card, planned our journeys independently, and relied on local buses for transportation. The cost was a fraction of what the hop-on-hop-off option would have been.
Thank you all for your advice! ;)

Back