Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Will $700 USD be sufficient for dining out expenses for two people over a two-week in Buenos Aires?

taniroshi

What could I have in general with that kind of money? Just cheap meals? I mean maybe street food stalls, or maybe I could dine in good restaurants? I'm not looking for anything fancy, we don't really want to cook in the evenings.

As a fellow traveler, I understand the importance of budgeting wisely, especially when dining out in Buenos Aires, where restaurant prices can vary widely. Here's how I manage my meals when I visit:

First things first, head to a supermarket or a "chino" (a local convenience store) to stock up on essentials like milk, juice, coffee, tea, and some easy breakfast items like sliced bread, cream cheese, jam, ham, and cheese.

Here's a breakdown of my typical day:

Breakfast: Start the day with a visit to a bakery (panadería) for some delicious "medialunas" or "facturas" (pastries). Alternatively, whip up a quick sandwich with the groceries you bought. Don't forget to add some fresh fruit, which you can easily find at nearby mini-markets.

Lunch: For a hearty midday meal, I recommend trying out a "bodegón," where the portions are generous and the dishes are traditional Argentine fare like grilled meats, "milanesas," pastas, and more. Consider sharing a dish or asking for a takeaway if the portions are too large.

Merienda: In the afternoon, enjoy a lighter snack similar to breakfast, maybe with fewer pastries. Treat yourself to a slice of cake from a bakery or indulge in some gelato from one of the many gelaterias around the city. If you're out and about, grab some "chipá" (mini cheese bread) from a street vendor for a cheap and tasty snack.

Dinner: For dinner, you can splurge a bit more if your budget allows. Check out the menus displayed outside restaurants to gauge prices before entering. If you're feeling full from previous meals, opt for something lighter like pizza or empanadas, or simply enjoy the leftovers from lunch.

By following this routine, you can enjoy a variety of delicious meals in Buenos Aires without breaking the bank.

Well, hope this has been helpful!

Let's do the math: you have 15 days with 6 meals each day, totaling 90 meals.

Dividing the $700 USD by the 90 meals, you get an average of $7.77 USD per meal.

In restaurants, prices can range from $10 to $30 USD per meal, although street food tends to be more affordable. For a more precise idea of delivery prices, I recommend downloading apps like PedidosYa or Rappi and checking them yourself.

With almost $8 USD per meal, you could be okay, but only if you opt for street food. However, don't expect to dine like a king if you eat out frequently.

What could I have in general with that kind of money? Just cheap meals? I mean maybe street food stalls, or maybe I could dine in good restaurants? I'm not looking for anything fancy, we don't really want to cook in the evenings.
Can you do this in the USA? If not, then don't think you can do it here in Buenos Aires if you don't want to cook at home. Forget at dining at good restaurants for this meager budget. It's not happening.

Let's do the math: you have 15 days with 6 meals each day, totaling 90 meals.

Dividing the $700 USD by the 90 meals, you get an average of $7.77 USD per meal.

In restaurants, prices can range from $10 to $30 USD per meal, although street food tends to be more affordable. For a more precise idea of delivery prices, I recommend downloading apps like PedidosYa or Rappi and checking them yourself.

With almost $8 USD per meal, you could be okay, but only if you opt for street food. However, don't expect to dine like a king if you eat out frequently.
I think it all just depends on what kind of places you are going to. Organic and natural foods also cost more. My friend is there now in Palermo and it is surprising what she said she is spending each day. Granted she likes decent places and has several coffees per day but I would have thought coffee would be cheaper there relative to prices of food. But my friend said good coffee in some places in Palermo are a few bucks per coffee same as the USA. She doesn't cook at all and also eating out 3 meals per day and said she is spending on average $450 USD per week. That is avoiding places like Don Julio and other super touristy places but the places are with good reviews.

Back